SkyscraperCity banner

1041 - 1060 of 1079 Posts

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
^^ Speaking for myself, I think this would be great.

Here's another Marina banner for future consideration, courtesy of Solidere:

On a side note, I suggest that we delay voting for/submitting a banner for Beirut until maybe competition #3, in order to provide variety.

Maybe a banner for Jounieh would be nice if we all agree on the idea. If ever, I don't think that we will find a better candidate than Wiss's submission, IMHO.

We can for example start a poll with the question: "Do you think we should submit this banner to represent Lebanon?", and provide 3 options in the poll:

• Yes
  • No
  • I have another opinion
With the third option requiring a post, to explain why...

We can get "democratically-strict" to a point that ONE "No" vote from a Lebanese member will fail the submission, and a normal/traditional poll will take place accordingly. "I have another opinion" might be negotiated, however.

What do you think?

Here's the banner that I'm talking about, to avoid confusion:

·
4,373 Posts
^^ Although your marina banner is nice, I have a couple issues to point out:
1. The PT for some reason does not have its iconic lighting on like it does in the other variations.
2. This angle does not show the corniche towers to the right like the others do, which gives the impression that the city has very few towers (SSC users tend to vote higher for skylines with more density).

I agree with skipping Beirut for the next banner, but I am not so sure yet about changing our voting process. Are you suggesting that the decision must be unanimous? That will be impossible here.

On a side note, I do love that Jounieh banner but I cant help but feel that someone unfamiliar with the city will think this pic was taken from an airplane (therefore not so special). Do we have any pics taken from the bay facing Harissa? The green mountains as a backdrop would be nice. Also, as everyone knows, we've already had this scene as a banner a couple times before.

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
^^ Nice banners for Beirut. The last Jounieh one is nothing new IMHO..

--

^^ Although your marina banner is nice, I have a couple issues to point out:
1. The PT for some reason does not have its iconic lighting on like it does in the other variations.
2. This angle does not show the corniche towers to the right like the others do, which gives the impression that the city has very few towers (SSC users tend to vote higher for skylines with more density).

I agree with skipping Beirut for the next banner, but I am not so sure yet about changing our voting process. Are you suggesting that the decision must be unanimous? That will be impossible here.

On a side note, I do love that Jounieh banner but I cant help but feel that someone unfamiliar with the city will think this pic was taken from an airplane (therefore not so special). Do we have any pics taken from the bay facing Harissa? The green mountains as a backdrop would be nice. Also, as everyone knows, we've already had this scene as a banner a couple times before.
I agree with the issues you pointed out Beiruti. I just have to add that I've made a modified version where I've "illuminated" the PT, and altered the colors a little bit to get a purplish/blueish tint that may or may not make it more interesting. Nothing can be done about the density of the skyline however.. Maybe in a couple of years, that view will become more "SSC-banner friendly"!

Concerning the unanimity of the votes, it was just a thought that I was suggesting, and that may suit a SPECIFIC case. You see, unanimity is not that hard to achieve if you ask the right question; it's like being in a car with your friends and you see that Lamborghini on the road; you'll probably all agree that it's the best car you've seen. But if you go to a Lamborghini showroom, that same group of people will most likely pick a different car to be his/her "best car ever". I hope I made myself clear...

Additionally, I now agree with you about that Jounieh banner, and the "bird's eye" effect that will get interpreted as "normal" by the potential voters.

Concerning another views (you were talking about a bay view showing the mountains), I'm open for suggestions. I'm planning a Jounieh photo-shooting trip in the weekend (probably tomorrow), where I'm taking with me all the required photography equipment, and not my pocket cam.

If you, or any one here, have a specific view in mind, you can pinpoint me the spot on Wikimapia and provide a simple description, and I may attempt it with pleasure. I have a couple in mind already, but I can always use a second opinion..

·
4,373 Posts
^^ OK, I'd be interested in seeing the modified version. But depending on the angle, the Achrafieh or Ras Beirut skylines in the background could make a difference without us having to wait a few years!

I get your analogy, but let's wait a couple weeks once you've had a chance to do your Jounieh photoshoot. I think you would have a better sense than most of us what the good shooting locations should be. Cant wait to see the pics!

·
4,373 Posts
Beirut

(Only the foreground is sharpened here, and appeals more to me than the other two)

Courtesy of Solidere
Source Image Provided by Zippo
Banner made by me
I actually like the second, more sharpened one. The only problem with his is the SSC logo would cover up some of the new buildings on the left. Otherwise, I love this angle!

·
Registered
349 Posts

I've captured the picture off a 720p video documenting Hersh Beirut, hence the quality. I could not zoom either, so the buildings might not be quite clear. But still, its worth the different scenery. If anyone could point to a better quality picture of the same scene, or better yet, capture his own panorama from that spot, I think it would be quite interesting. So mainly, this banner is just experimental and for inspirational purposes :)

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
^^ OK, I'd be interested in seeing the modified version. But depending on the angle, the Achrafieh or Ras Beirut skylines in the background could make a difference without us having to wait a few years
Here you go:

Old (original)

My mod

--

The Ashrafieh towers will be too small to even form a skyline-shape from that distance. The Murr Tower (which is MUCH closer than those of Ashrafieh) is showing to the left of the PT (look closely, it's there). Now, imagine how tiny the much distant towers will appear from that spot.

Our best bet for a "denser" skyline (from that angle of course) will be on the incoming towers (Beirut Terraces, Damac, 3 Beirut, and the one adjacent to Damac, which is to be given a name yet)... What? You think I forgot the Venus Towers? No, I didn't, but it's just that I'm incapable of writing that I'm "waiting" for some project that's gonna erase our 2500 yo Phoenician port!

·
4,373 Posts
^^ Really cool how you "turned the lights on"!

I know they will look small, but as you can see below, at least there is some semblance of the rest of the city to the left and to the right:

Also, this more 3D angle looks cooler to me and gives this area a denser look because there is less space between the towers.

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts

·
4,373 Posts
ATTENTION:

I'll be launching the second banner competition of the year soon (as in a few days). Please resubmit ONLY the banners you wish to enter into the competition. Dont forget to include the source (photographer).

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts
My banners I already submitted on this thread, since the last vote..

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
^^ Of course Wiss, it's my pleasure..

I want to apologize btw for my absence, as I'm exceptionally busy those days, but I hope that I will manage to submit something banner-worthy soon; hopefully before Beiruti launches the voting.

·
Carburetor (Busy) ▼
1,578 Posts
^^ Thanks for the trust Beiruti; I'll try my best to submit something worth the wait!

1041 - 1060 of 1079 Posts