SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this, but this project has been underway in South Leeds for some time, and really demonstrates how communities should be progressing to improve the areas and relationships between people. It is the first and by far the most important stage in improving a place; I think its good that this is happening, particularly in an area that unfourtanetley has a bad reputation from the London Bombings in 2005.

http://www.faithtogether.org.uk/ Its called Faith Together in Leeds 11, and has lead to the construction of a new community centre, called Building Blocks, that pulls together both muslim and christian groups, and was started by those groups. I know about this through a preacher that came to our church from Trinity Church in Beeston.

·
6,891 Posts
It's always good to see that sort of thing happening, it can be the start of putting some of the building blocks of an integrated society into place. The area got an unfair battering from the media, due to something that originated from outside Leeds, and has nothing to do with the area, just the actions of sick individuals.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notice that many people who should really know better think that it is really like what the media portray certain areas like. For example people think that the whole city is like a small pocket of Chapeltown where theres shooting and crime- which isn't that common really. On the other hand there are lots of people who know and believe the truth about Leeds (and Liverpool, Manchester, Bradford- anywhere that isnt Harrogate seems to be bad to some people here). Id say about 60% think its a *hole and the rest know the reality. It annoys me that about half of that 60% havent even been for the last 10 years or something ridiculous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts