SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
As much as I think a larger, more competitive airport would be good for Leeds and a greater range of destinations would be nice, I love LBA purely for the fact that it is a local, smaller, more friendly airport. I find using it so much less stressful than going to one of the big players. Yes, it does need better road and rail links but I love that I can drive there from home in 20 minutes and arrive at the gate fairly swiftly. Then, when I arrive back from some far flung destination, I'm two minutes away from the country roads of Otley Chevin and I'm back in beautiful Yorkshire countryside. I love it!

·
Registered
29,148 Posts
As much as I think a larger, more competitive airport would be good for Leeds and a greater range of destinations would be nice, I love LBA purely for the fact that it is a local, smaller, more friendly airport. I find using it so much less stressful than going to one of the big players. Yes, it does need better road and rail links but I love that I can drive there from home in 20 minutes and arrive at the gate fairly swiftly. Then, when I arrive back from some far flung destination, I'm two minutes away from the country roads of Otley Chevin and I'm back in beautiful Yorkshire countryside. I love it!
I agree about that. There's nothing more frustrating than flying into Manchester and being able to see the runway at Leeds, but know it's going to take you two hours to get back across a distance you can see in one vista from the plane.

I don't find much need to use Manchester these days though. If I'm flying around Europe, Leeds normally does the job (I used Doncaster once). Long haul, I use Heathrow as flights tend to be cheaper with more choice of airline than from Manchester. It's even more likely I'll use Heathrow with the BA connection now.

Still, Leeds needs to offer more city and business destinations in Europe - not just bucket and spade destinations. I applaud Jet2 for trying lots of new routes, but they might not be the best airline to be operating some of them. We should be able to sustain routes like Madrid, Berlin, Rome all year round, Brussels and at least one Scandinavian destination - but these have been intermittent from Leeds over the years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well the good news is that the 757 bus service from Leeds City Centre to Leeds/Bradford Airport is going to have an improved timetable from early next year if everything goes to the current plan.
I understand that new timetable is going to be introduce which will see the current half hourly service been replaced by buses been run every 20 minutes Monday to Saturdays. The Sunday timetable will continue to operate half hourly whilst the off peak service will remain operated once hourly. It’s possible that a few earlier journeys in the morning might be introduced with the service starting from 04:00 instead of the current 05:00 start. The current last bus into Leeds from the Airport is at 23:45 but a few later journeys may also be introduced as well.

Wither this happens, remains to be seen! But it’s worth noting that all airport bus routes will be under review by the Metro shortly, it’s already been announced that the airport wants to withdraw funding of the Otley local 967 service.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may as well quote things accurately. 11 miles form the centre to the airport. By what route? Starting at City Square, the most direct route (Horsforth, Scotland Lane) is only 8.4 miles and the simple route (through Kirkstall) is only 9.3. The only point in Leeds District which is 20 miles by car is the bit out by the A1 just next to Castleford. From there it's 67 miles to Manchester Airport. From Wakefield 61, Huddersfield 42, Halifax 46. It's only 16 miles form the centre of Halifax to LBA. Manchester Airport is 9 miles from Manchester and the bulk of the population it serves is north of Manchester. What Manchester has is good road and rail links, although the roads round there are a nightmare and driving to LBA in rush hour is much easier. We have regular international visitors to work (Beeston ring road) and, depending on time of day, they allow around 1.5-2 hours to get to Manchester (whether car or train) and 30-45 minutes to get to LBA. Many of them have several hours' travel when they reach their destination countries. And that's the point: we can't all live within 15 minutes of a major international airport. What LBA and our authorities need to do is improve transport links. The constant consultations on the future of the ring road need to end and some action taken, including an improved route to the airport. The City Deal is supposed to include this, but when will that happen?. Without the huge investment of a new railway line, a new station could be put above Cookridge on the Harrogate line with a shuttle bus on a new spur to Scotland Lane (this would be closer than some airport parkway stations and actually closer than some airport parking I've used). This would improve accesibility from Leeds and beyond, plus Harrogate and York would have a direct link. And the buses could be much better, but there are problem with them being stuck in traffic which need to be addressed.
Very well said. I live in Dubai and the new airport, which will handle, or at least be capable of handling, 160m pax. They have built this literally one hour drive from where the majority of people live. No train line or maglev. They may well build this, but it just goes to show you need transport for an airport and location makes little difference.

Leeds is a top airport, growing well and showing promise. As pax grow, revenue should also, enabling more investment and encouraging other airlines to take note.

With regards to competing, please note Sharjah airport is nearly carrying 8m pax and is 15 mins from Dubai, which is handling 60m pax. There is plenty of space for airports to grow. And yes, Dubai is a huge hub, but that does not meN others will choose to use a smaller, friendlier airport if it suits them and for a lot of people, Leeds hits the mark.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts