SkyscraperCity banner

6221 - 6240 of 6258 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The Leeds-Heathrow market is mainly made up of connecting passengers at Heathrow, not people travelling to London.
What has the link got to do with LBA? Services are demand driven and the only people who know how well a route is performing are the people at BA tasked with network development.

Far as I can see, BA are utilising slots to provide access to a niche market at NQY where the catchment area is remote from London by alternative transport. Nothing to do with LBA.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As some have alluded to, surely these are two different markets? I'd say as a complete guess that 80% of Manchester - Heathrow flights would be a connecting flight, heading somewhere else from Heathrow. If LBA ends up with a similar setup (finally) then they'd be 1/2 stop flights to somewhere and London wouldn't be a final destination. I'm basing that on doing those kind of flights via both Dublin & Heathrow, from Manchester.

Newquay on the other hand (and Cornwall in general) has always struggled to attract people from the South East, because its massively inaccessible. All this does is make London accessible to the half a million Cornish and make Cornwall an attractive proposal for a domestic break for wealthly Londoners.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I was going to book a BA connecting flight via LBA/Heathrow recently as it came out cheapest and then was surprised to find BA charge you to pick your seat, even if you’re booking a premium or business class seat, which can be hundreds extra on top of a flight already costing hundreds/thousands - absolute daylight robbery! BA are little better than low cost airline nowadays and whilst all national carriers are cutting back, I’d rather go with a KLM connecting flight on principle or fly from elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was going to book a BA connecting flight via LBA/Heathrow recently as it came out cheapest and then was surprised to find BA charge you to pick your seat, even if you’re booking a premium or business class seat, which can be hundreds extra on top of a flight already costing hundreds/thousands - absolute daylight robbery! BA are little better than low cost airline nowadays and whilst all national carriers are cutting back, I’d rather go with a KLM connecting flight on principle or fly from elsewhere.

To be fair i’ve just paid to choose my seats with KLM on connecting flights from Manchester to Amsterdam and a longhaul flight to Tokyo. They’re all it these days.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
To be fair i’ve just paid to choose my seats with KLM on connecting flights from Manchester to Amsterdam and a longhaul flight to Tokyo. They’re all it these days.
Pretty sure the BA seat selection costs are way in excess of KLM's and daring to charge business class passengers is pretty audacious.

FYI Would recommend upgrading to Economy Comfort (or indeed a emergency exit seat) with KLM long haul - the leg room makes a worthwhile difference for the cost, with the rest of economy getting a bit cramped (unless you're flying business, of course!). Enjoy Tokyo - I loved it!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
FYI Would recommend upgrading to Economy Comfort (or indeed a emergency exit seat) with KLM long haul - the leg room makes a worthwhile difference for the cost, with the rest of economy getting a bit cramped (unless you're flying business, of course!). Enjoy Tokyo - I loved it!

Yeah we got emergency exit row seats - i’m 6’4” so there was no way i was gonna fit in the economy seats for 8+ hours!

Thank you - will be interesting comparing the biggest city on earth with - well - our little village in comparison!

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
I agree; BA is a joke of an airline. I do fly with them but often I find Easyjet and Norwegian much better. Norwegian give you free WiFi; BA you have to pay for it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not a fan of BA, they need to take a look at carriers like Singapore and try to emulate them.

Big fan of Virgin these days for a British carrier, just used them for an Atlantic flight and was pleased. The other added bonus, if you're into lounges is the Virgin lounge at Manchester is pretty good and only cost us £20 each as we are both registered with frequent flyer programme and get some pretty good discounts.

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
I agree that Virgin are much better. Unfortunately, as their network is not as big they're not able to be a true competitor to BA without more capacity at Heathrow - although perhaps they need to be more ambitious in routing transfer traffic through another airport.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree that Virgin are much better. Unfortunately, as their network is not as big they're not able to be a true competitor to BA without more capacity at Heathrow - although perhaps they need to be more ambitious in routing transfer traffic through another airport.
That is apparently their plan at MAN - albeit they are taking their time. NPR will beat them to it at this rate!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
Is expansion really the right word? LBA is replacing its terminal but the runway capacity will remain the same. Perhaps more importantly, Heathrow's lack of expansion is a bit of a red herring when Amsterdam is effectively the UK's hub anyway.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yes, but the terminal is the main restriction to LBA's growth, not the runway, so anything that facilitates growth is going to be attacked. That said, surely air traffic movements can be managed regardless of terminal and runway capacity - would be a very odd situation if LBA were told they were not allowed to modernise their terrible existing terminal. Ever.

·
fast fashion
977 Posts
The airport still want to get to their projected growth to 7 million passengers.
Do people actually want to now stomach that? even with a park and ride station the roads around the area are not ideal.
There maybe the greens and other environmental groups that get behind that and state that 4 million passengers is enough for an airport placed where it is.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It's a false argument... Leeds expansion won't increase total number of UK flights. It will just increase Leeds' % share of the national total. It will result in lower ground transport numbers driving to Manchester.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The ramifications of the rejection of Heathrow's third runway could be large. People are lining up in big numbers to object to a whole host of new environmentally un-friendly new schemes, including the expansion of LBA. There's a lot of people rubbing their hands in glee right now that the "fallacy" of continual economic growth could finally be coming to an end.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/road-and-air-plans-at-risk-as-heathrow-runway-bid-rejected-qb0q025c3
I thought that the court rejected the third runway because the plans didn’t account for the climate emergency.

Leeds Bradford terminal is different, they are building a more environmentally friendly building than exists with no increase in capacity other than already approved.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I thought that the court rejected the third runway because the plans didn’t account for the climate emergency.

Leeds Bradford terminal is different, they are building a more environmentally friendly building than exists with no increase in capacity other than already approved.
Apart from one big headache for the airport...getting the go ahead for the extra operational times. Hopefully LCC will see sense and let the region benefit from a truly great airport to support our economic development and actually put us on a level playing field with most other major airports in the UK

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
The new terminal should still be built regardless of the operational hours. It's not a massive issue if those aren't approved - it's only half an hour at each end of the day anyway I believe?

6221 - 6240 of 6258 Posts