SkyscraperCity banner

6241 - 6260 of 6315 Posts

·
Registered
29,210 Posts
Seville has not traditionally been one of Spain's major airports; for most of the noughties it was a similar size to Leeds. It's only recently experienced rapid growth and expansion. I'd love to see it on the destination map from Leeds but I suspect there would be a few more likely destinations added before Seville.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Lisbon is a great addition. Hope that the 2x weekly services are used well and frequency increases - Leeds doesn't have enough European capital/major city links at the moment: https://www.jet2.com/News/Take_off_for_Summer_21_with_Jet2_com_and_Jet2holidays’_Biggest_Ever_Programme_from_Leeds_Bradford_Airport/
Lisbon is certainly a great addition and I had a great time there a few years ago flying with Ryanair from Manchester. It would certainly be nice to see some more cities served from Leeds Bradford Airport in future. Also handy to see extra links to Santorini and Skiathos in Greece. On the flipside I certainly wonder what negative impact Coronavirus would have on aviation which will surely put off a large number of passengers and in turn affect the financial viability of many airlines.

Also FlyBe have gone out of business which has lost Leeds Bradford's link with Belfast City and Newquay although Southampton remains served as it was operated by franchise airline Eastern Airways who will continue to operate the route independently: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/flybe-leeds-bradford-airport-collapse-17866890

Certainly a huge loss to lose the link to Belfast City as it was Leeds Bradford Airports' 8th most popular route attracting 165,858 passengers in 2018. Surely another airline must take that route on although I presume it will be less frequent than the Dash-8 operated FlyBe flights if something like a 737 or A320 is used. Also certainly room to improve Cross Country rail connections to create a viable alternative to domestic flying imo. It also certainly highlights the difficulties many airlines have been recently with household names such as Monarch, Thomas Cook, BMI and FlyBe all going out of business in recent years. I also once recall FlyBe once expressing a desire to expand their offering at Leeds Bradford which quickly went quiet.

·
Registered
29,210 Posts
Flybe will affect other airports far more than Leeds. Belfast City is a big loss for Leeds as with other airports too, however, because of Belfast's unique island position, I am confident most of these routes will be reinstated either privately or with government subsidy.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Do we think the downturn in aviation could put the LBA expansion plans back for a few years? Realistically it’s gonna take at least a year for flights to get back to the levels they were at before all the coronavirus panic began and I can’t see any airlines planning to expand until the most popular routes are profitable again.

·
Registered
29,210 Posts
It's important to remember that this isn't really an expansion. Yes the terminal will be able to handle more people, but it's effectively a replacement terminal, which has been much needed for decades.

It would seem to me that they should take the advantage while its quiet and get on with building it now so it will be ready for when the industry picks up again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It's important to remember that this isn't really an expansion. Yes the terminal will be able to handle more people, but it's effectively a replacement terminal, which has been much needed for decades.

It would seem to me that they should take the advantage while its quiet and get on with building it now so it will be ready for when the industry picks up again.

I suppose that’s true, but it still means £m’s of investment at a time when there isn’t really a clear picture of what demand will be like in 6 months to a years time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suppose that’s true, but it still means £m’s of investment at a time when there isn’t really a clear picture of what demand will be like in 6 months to a years time.
It isn’t due to be operational by 2023 even if all the planning gets approved this year. I imagine they’ll push ahead with the planning app and then make a call on whether to start based on a judgement call whether what’s happening now will have any long standing changes on demand and supply.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Also depends on which airlines survive this year. If covid 19 takes its toll on many flights for the next 6 months or so, surely many airlines will not be able take the hit on their finances. That could mean a very contracted airline industry from 2021 onwards thus reducing revenues for airports

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Don’t think it’s just the airline industry. We will be heading for a global recession not seen in generations. The world is not designed to just stop for weeks.

Bad times ahead.

·
fast fashion
977 Posts
It isn’t due to be operational by 2023 even if all the planning gets approved this year. I imagine they’ll push ahead with the planning app and then make a call on whether to start based on a judgement call whether what’s happening now will have any long standing changes on demand and supply.
I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead for the foreseeable future. If Manchester Airport have stated that capital spending will be frozen I can't image AMP throwing cash at this until well after all this has finished. From going by the news and the finance sector, a lot of companies share prices have been wiped.
Think the impact of this will halve Leeds passenger numbers for years to come.
Airlines have stated they will need support from the government if they are to survive.
Think the current terminal will be plenty big enough for some time now after this virus has run its cource.

·
Registered
471 Posts
All change for the airport (& the wider aviation sector within the UK) for when we come out of the lockdown situation we're in now.

I've read somewhere (although can't quite remember where) that the Chancellor has told airlines to find 'funding from other means and use the UK Gov as a true last resort' measure. Basically giving them the example of tapping shareholders for more cash or traditional financing elsewhere first.

Wonder which UK passenger and freight airlines will now go to the wall over this & who will come out stronger.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Certainly unprecedented times for aviation and certainly will wonder what will happen at Leeds Bradford Airport once this Covid-19 crisis has finally ended. Surely the new terminal is on hold pending any confirmation on what demand is expected in future although surely once this crisis has subsided a lot of people will certainly want to go on a good break somewhere.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Planes are unlikely to be taking off from Leeds Bradford Airport before June: Leeds-Bradford Airport: No flights until June

Certainly wonder how long it will be until there is a sense of normality at Leeds Bradford and presume any initial flights will be for the most popular destinations such as Alicante, Dublin, Malaga, Palma and Amsterdam. I can also envisage a lot of cut-backs in terms of flights and routes with many people reluctant to fly any time soon.

Also has there been no talk about the resumption of any sort of flights to Belfast which were axed when FlyBe went out of business. Surely that is the sort of route which will surely need to be reinstated when things go back to normal.

6241 - 6260 of 6315 Posts