SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i used to work in leeds and have fond memories of a building that i think was called the leeds bridge house. this is a sort of mini flatiron building (and rather older than it's new york big sister) situated slightly out of the the way somewhere near the bottom of briggate (?).
i would like to know more about it's architect, and whether or not many of these very striking triangular buildings had been built in/before the nineteenth century. there appears to be no search facility on this forum, so i'm struggling a bit to find more information.....
many thanks for any help.
g.k

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry! I may have got that wrong. The building behind it is for apartments.

Here's some history of the building:-

The Bridge’s dramatic entrance hall pays testimony to the site’s theatrical roots, a theatre first being built here in 1771.

Almost a century later, Mr Coleman took over the theatre, but it proved to be too small for the extravagant shows that he planned.

He had the building demolished and replaced with an impressive new theatre, opening with Hamlet on 30th September 1866 on one of the largest stages in northern England. Sadly, a fire raged through the building in 1875 and the theatre was never resurrected.

And here's the website:-

The Bridge Leeds

·
Tax avoider
24,117 Posts
Ah, Leeds Bridge House as opposed to Bridge House, that monstrous carbuncle which is happily to be demolished...

·
6,902 Posts
Here's the new Bridge House built behind the old Bridge House (looks a bit like the superstructure and bridge of a ship).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts