SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had no idea about this but looking into the WYCA website there is a live consultation for the partial redevelopment of the bus station:

https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/LeedsBusStation

Obviously early stage designs but should improve the bus station experience significantly - I'm still going to respond to the consultation that we should be replacing the bus station entirely and getting some useful offices or flats in the wasted air space above it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, the walls are the least of the bus stations problems, focusing on them is the wrong move. A whole new station is whats needed or even at minimum they should redo the roof too whilst they're doing this.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Well that looks awful and worse that what's there already...

The street facing facades are so small that surely they could afford to come up with something smart.... I'd accept the proposed living wall they mention though.

Please everyone comment how poor this looks on the consultation!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that looks awful and worse that what's there already...

The street facing facades are so small that surely they could afford to come up with something smart.... I'd accept the proposed living wall they mention though.

Please everyone comment how poor this looks on the consultation!
It's obviously a very early render as they haven't shown any materials. It's indicative - the main things being considered here are opening up the entrance and the new canopy/roof thing.

I've commented to say if they use a design anything like the train station then i'd be happy!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Has the council ever considered moving the station from its current location? If so, does anyone know what sites were considered?

Got to say I always liked the thought of Leeds having multiple bus stations. Having buses travel from say Armley or Burley across the city to the station seems stupid to me. We'd be much better having a small interchange somewhere on the western fringes of the city. Plus it would bring some added benefits of additional footfall to another part of the city.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
So far as I understand the bus station is only really used by longer distance services eg Bradford or Halifax and Ilkley etc?

·
Registered
29,217 Posts
It is longer distance services mainly - I don't see why it needs to be retained in its current form. It could be closed with services re-routed or be sold as a development site with public investment to allow a bus station on the site/at ground floor level if a multi-storey development.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So far as I understand the bus station is only really used by longer distance services eg Bradford or Halifax and Ilkley etc?
That was my understanding too. Anything from south Leeds, Wakefield, Wetherby, Castleford is ideal in its current location. But Bradford and Halifax buses would surely be better heading to a station on that side of the city.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Local buses use various "stations" around the city on Park Row, Infirmary Street, New Market Street and others, leaving the actual station to serve out of town buses. The current one looks cr*p as a first impression of Leeds and should be replaced entirely, from the looks of those basic renders it will already look dated as soon as it's done with the tiled exterior.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Looks more of an aesthetic exercise as opposed to anything more substantial. Also agree with hzrd's point that the bus station really should have been built by the railway station when there was still the land available for such a development back in the 1990s. However I remember the days that there were multiple bus stations in Leeds with green Leeds buses using the site of the current bus station, red West Yorkshire buses using a separate bus station by Vicar Lane (now a car park) and National Express coaches having their own coach station on Wellington Street (now an office building).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts