Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story was on Look North the other day. Leeds due to get a China Gate, made in our twin city in China and being shipped over he're for free!

Only thing is where to put it?? That's the discussion going on at the moment. Any links to story would be nice. Can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is Hangzhou in China. They are building and shipping it over for free as a gift to Leeds. There have been talks of locating it at the bottom of Eastgate.

·
( rolling pin )
2,007 Posts
It'd be nice to have a China Town to go with it. Where is the Chinatown area moving to?

·
Tax avoider
24,140 Posts
Isn't china quite a fragile ceramic, and hence rather unsuited to gate construction?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I quite enjoyed that joke. Bone china is well strong though. Not that it is mad eout of either.

On a nother comical note, Hangzhou is also twinned with Fukui in Japan. Probably the best name ever!

I think we should look to build on relations with our twin cities.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is why the location is stalled since the existing china town area is being re-developed for the Eastgate scheme.

You can guarantee the chinese shops etc will follow the china gate wherever it is placed.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
In which case we should put the Chinese Gate in an area where Chinese shops are going to be able to locate- I doubt they would be able to afford Eastgate/Harewood Quarter. What about immediateley north of the inner ring road A64(M) in a regenerated area? Or somewhere around the Criterion Place area and rise up to City Square? If none of those are suitable, itd have to go further out of the city; Holbeck area- Granary Wharf/Tower Works...? or Burley Park, Hyde Park, Chapeltown, Harehills, Beeston? I do believe it has to go among historic buildings rather thn big posh modern buildings. Wouldnt feel right.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Apparently not, according to the look north storey we had not yet recieved the gate, it is just been sent over now so we will only have one gate. However, it will be a very nice white and grey one. Not like those crap red and gold ones that are just a bit tacky. Hahahaha- grey, it will fit in very well with Leeds.

Who are our twin cities? We should have a list on wikipedia like Hangzhou.

I don't think the gate should be really used in a china town as such. I like the idea proposed about an area that represents many different nations in the city. It could be part of a quater that represents Leeds' links with other cities around the world.

If not, and there wanting to place it at the top of a street and create a typical china town, I think it would be an ideal way of regenerating kirkgate.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
A Yorkshire Tea monument? lol I dont know! However it would certainly be good to give something, partly to promote Leeds as well as to return the gift!

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
We didnt, but Leeds has Dortmund Square and Dortmund has a Leeds Platz in recognition.

Hangzhou Daily
2006-6-6
¡¡¡¡Yesterday afternoon, vice mayor Xiangqin met delegates from Leeds, UK, led by Speaker Mark in Xinqiao Hotel.

¡¡¡¡Lees is one of the friend city of Hangzhou in UK, which also keeps the most frequent contact with Hangzhou among all friend cities. The coming of the delegation is to attend the ceremony activity of Leeds Day of the leisure exposition and visit the development zones of Hangzhou and some related enterprises. Xiangqin warm welcomed the coming of the delegation at the meeting, saying that Hangzhou and Leeds have close contact and exchange in many fields, after the two cities established the friendship. He hopes that both cities can strengthen the cooperation and broaden the exchange.

¡¡¡¡Speaker Mark showed his appreciation to the warm reception of Hangzhou, saying that the rapid development of Hangzhou impressed him a lot and he also is expecting more cooperation and exchange between two cities.

it says on Hangzhous website. Found through google- so they have a Leeds Day.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Apparently not, according to the look north storey we had not yet recieved the gate, it is just been sent over now so we will only have one gate. However, it will be a very nice white and grey one. Not like those crap red and gold ones that are just a bit tacky. Hahahaha- grey, it will fit in very well with Leeds.

Who are our twin cities? We should have a list on wikipedia like Hangzhou.

I don't think the gate should be really used in a china town as such. I like the idea proposed about an area that represents many different nations in the city. It could be part of a quater that represents Leeds' links with other cities around the world.

If not, and there wanting to place it at the top of a street and create a typical china town, I think it would be an ideal way of regenerating kirkgate.
I like your idia you should send an email to LCC.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I always wanted to go to china. Maybe we can give them me as a gift. They will probably want a refund.

Seriously though, what stereotypical token of appreciation can we give them? Its not like we can send them cynicism, friendliness, real ale or yorkshire puddings can we. And we certainly can not give them a golden owl!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts