SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd make this thread, because I found out today that Leeds is now classified as a Gamma World City. Now, tiering of cities isn't all that important for the inhabitants of them, but for someone to class us amongst other cities like (see below) Lyon, St Petersburg and Valencia, something must be going right!?

Here's a list of other Gamma (no +/- ...just a solid Gamma) named cities:

Almaty
Columbus
Edmonton
Guadalajara
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Leeds
Lyon
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Quito
Rotterdam
San Salvador
Santo Domingo
Saint Petersburg
Tampa
Valencia
Vilnius

I think, as a city, we're only just getting started. Obviously with the economic downturn ruining our opportunities to some degree in the short term, but the potential for Leeds is great. The platform we have already, compromising of our academic institutions, our growing retail base and existing office power, I think Leeds is set to become a great city. We don't have to be the biggest, but with what we have we can become one of the best.

Bit of an optimistic post I know, but I took a walk around the city today and it felt great, like with the Arena, Trinity, Eastgate and other developments either underway or ready to be started, I think Leeds has such a bright future.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
We have been Gamma for some time, but that's an underperformance from Leeds.

We should be a Beta World City. For comparison:

Beta
- Manchester

Beta-
- Birmingham

Gamma+
- Bristol
- Edinburgh
- Glasgow
- Leeds

Gamma-
- Southampton
- Belfast

·
B*tch
15,106 Posts
Kansas City and Indianapolis are dull cities.

That ranking is all to do with office space or something like that. I'd say Edinburgh is far more important politically than Manchester or Birmingham and to some extent economically.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Yes all areas have poor and rich parts, most suburban ares have a rich part and poor part.

Example-

Horsforth- On sale for 1M+, in comparison the ex council semi is 155 thousand.
(The ex council looks fine and is quite expensive for what people percieve as been sub-par housing)

·
B*tch
15,106 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure it includes none of those things.

A roster of world cities was outlined in the GaWC Research Bulletin 5 and ranked cities based on their connectivity through four "advanced producer services": accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts