Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if there is a thread for this already, but its more to do with my youth spent around the city centre in the clubs and pubs of the seventies.My favorite club [ disco] on saturday nights was cinderellas/rockafellas, we use to get tanked up in the bars at the merrion centre, then try and get by the bouncers on the door. Sometimes if we couldnt get in at cinderellas we would walk to the other side and get in at rockafellas. Rockafellas was supose to be for couples with amore cabaret feel to it, i think they both charged the same admision price 2 pounds. I remember seeing mud there and paper lace, and quiet a few show bands,I believe mike and bernie winters appeared there as well, I also remember david essex stopping by after doing a concert at the Grand.I perfered cinderellas often saw gordon macqueen and joe jordan there, but best of all were the waitress they were all babes and must have been selected by pete stringfellow personally, my favorite was a blonde scandanavia girl sad to say like me they will all in there middle ages. My memory got jolted by watching a channel 4 programme called come dine with me, its show where people get marked for hosting a dinner party the winner getting a thousand pounds.One of the contestents was a former D J at cinderellas Chris Crossley, Chris was well known to anybody who went to cinders in the seventies,he was only 4 foot ten inch but a great character.He left cinderellas after about 5 years to open a club in pontefract[Kikios], and is now working as an abstract painter,and no he didnt win the tv programme. I hope somebody out there remembers him, because my wife can not ,and thinks he is a figment of my imagination.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Mountleigh Proposals For Kirkstall Valley Late 1980s Including A Jurassic Park!

Found this very interesting proposal from the late 1980s which I believe hasn't been mentioned on here before: http://www.illo.demon.co.uk/intro.htm

The Kirkstall Valley campaign was founded on 27 June 1988 when two of the Kirkstall councillors [John Illingworth and Liz Minkin] met a group of local residents who were concerned by rumours of a major new development scheme. Both councillors were originally sworn to secrecy by Mountleigh Northern Developments Ltd, having been briefed "in confidence" a few hours previously. Bernard Farrar (a Kirkstall resident) then produced a leaked colour copy of the Mountleigh proposals that he had been given in a public house. Those present, realising that they were being played off one against another, immediately resolved to establish the Kirkstall Valley Campaign.

The origins of the Mountleigh proposals, which so alarmed the Kirkstall residents, should be sought in the previous year, when the Leeds City Council Labour Leader (George Mudie) re-activated a dormant Council-owned company in September 1987. He was working in close collaboration with a previous Conservative Leader of Leeds City Council (Lord Bellwin) who had become a local government minister under Mrs Thatcher. Prominent Leeds businessmen were quietly invited to join the board, and the company was renamed as the Leeds City Development Company (LCDC) in December 1987.

Although there is no documentary evidence, it seems likely that Councillor Mudie heard through unofficial channels that the Conservative government in London were considering establishing an Urban Development Corporation (UDC) in Leeds. Very few (if any) of the councillors wanted a UDC. Councillor Mudie may have intended to pre-empt Nicholas Ridley, who was Secretary of State for the Environment (SSE) by establishing a Council-controlled company to do the same job. The stated purpose of UDCs was to develop under-used public land, but LCDC would already be in partnership with the private sector, and own many of the potential devlopment sites.

The political control of LCDC was of Byzantine complexity. The trading company, LCDC, was a wholly owned subsidiary of another company, LCDC (1983) Ltd, which in turn was owned by the Council. The leaders of the three main political parties (or their nominees) served on one or other of these company boards. The activities of the subsidiary company were not reported in the Council minutes. The practical effect of this arrangement was that Councillor Mudie made appointments to the LCDC board, and offered about 40 hectares of Council-owned land to the company without any public announcement, and without consulting most of his Labour colleagues.

Among these potential development sites was the Kirkstall Valley. The Council was already seeking derelict land grant from the government to restore the site of the former Kirkstall Power Station, and it appears that large areas of adjacent non-derelict land (that were actually public open space) were added by Council officers to improve the marketability of the site. There was no political discussion of these proposals, and all three Kirkstall councillors were astonished to learn in June 1988 that LCDC had entered into a partnership with Mountleigh Northern Developments Ltd to develop the whole of the Kirkstall Valley.

The Mountleigh scheme was an appalling blunder - a cure far worse than the original disease. Much of the land was allotments, playing fields and public open space. It was an important wildlife haven a short distance from the city centre, with an attractive river side location. The Council were already involved in community projects in the area, and one these (a nature reserve for the European Year of the Environment) had won a national award. It was the last remaining major tract of open space in central Leeds, between some very densely populated areas.

The Mountleigh proposals were obscene: two major shopping malls, 5000 car parking spaces, an office development and a "dinosaur theme park" which soon became the object of public ridicule. The KVC commissioned a survey showing that much of the site was grade one agricultural land, which should have been protected from development under government planning guidance. Fortunately, the scheme made no sense financially. The linear nature of the Kirkstall Valley, subdivided by the railway, the river Aire and the Leeds Liverpool Canal, made it extremely expensive to develop. Huge infrastructure costs would be incurred gaining access to a relatively small area of usable land. The power station legacy included underground voids and cables, and overhead high-voltage lines. Some of the site had been filled but would not support foundation loadings. Although the proposers juggled the pieces on the board for a further 12 months, the joint project between Mountleigh and LCDC was mercifully abandoned in October 1989.

The Mountleigh episode illustrates the dangers of political secrecy. With an open debate the absurdity of the proposals could have been swiftly exposed and the ridiculous enterprise would have never been started. The City Council could, if necessary, have defied the government in Kirkstall with overwhelming political support. The only benefit from the proposals was to unite and activate the local communities in a way that is rarely experienced.

Unfortunately, the Mountleigh scheme was only the beginning of our troubles. We now had a non-elected quango in charge of the area, and various local landowners had seen their opportunity to make some substantial capital gains...
So just how close was this proposal to being constructed and just what did this Dinosaur Theme Park propose as it did look rather small on the aerial view. I guess it was something to attract attention to this proposal which just backfired with the ridicule mentioned and no doubt I guess it would probably been a poor mans version of the Dinosaur Exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London.

Also noticing the two malls I guess in reality (I guess) appears to be just one stand alone supermarket unit with the other appearing to be a retail park full of the usual Currys, DFS (or Northern Upholstry as it was then known as), Allied Carpets type stores. Was the Morrisons supermarket which only opened around 2000ish with the retail park attached to it (Boots, JJB Sports and Dunnes Stores) a scaled down replacement of this proposal. Also just what was this Rapid Transit system proposed and was there any proposal for any railway stations to call at this development site on the Airedale / Wharfedale Lines?

Still at least it wasn't constructed considering it would irreversably destroy a very large part of the scenic Kirkstall Valley which really would have. Also wouldn't the fact this is located in a flood plain be rather a daft thing considering it could easily be flooded? Did anyone remember these proposals and what the reaction to it was like?

In another thing in the same neck of the woods with regards to Kirkstall Power station which was demolished in the late 1970s, couldn't they have made that into something ala Tate Modern which could have been a good idea considering I guess it would have been such a visible land mark for the area or was it unable to have been converted?

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
A steel building based on that old Kirkstall Power Station would be interesting as a modern art gallery or something.

I notice the rapid tranist route and marina- those would both still be good ideas I think. But otherwise, not so good projects.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anyone remember a development scheme from the late 80's........... It was billed as to give Leeds the skyline of Houston. I think the developer was Canadian, can’t remembered the developers name .... think it was something like 'Triple Olympic' or ‘Olympic 3000’
The master plan included building a new train station and re-building large areas of the city south of city square

Would love see pictures and text of the scheme again……………. Does anyone else remember it?????

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been posted before. It was a 'World Trade Centre' and had lots of hexagonal blocks, some around CD and a marina. The station was rebuilt in it too.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Anyone remember a development scheme from the late 80's........... It was billed as to give Leeds the skyline of Houston. I think the developer was Canadian, can’t remembered the developers name .... think it was something like 'Triple Olympic' or ‘Olympic 3000’
The master plan included building a new train station and re-building large areas of the city south of city square

Would love see pictures and text of the scheme again……………. Does anyone else remember it?????
Yup I posted it right back in October 2006 and I believe it was known as Triple 5 Leeds. Thank goodness that never occured imo.: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=401562

Also has anyone seen the Times Newspaper archive at: www.thetimes.co.uk/archive. That is a great resource looking at old things as it has loads on older developments in Leeds too lengthy to list here. Eg: the following has the article from 9th March 1938 mentioning the then planned 255 ft tall Briggate Tower where M&S is now located.: http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/to...&dateSearchType=range&refineQuerykeywordText=

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Yes that's the one. While it didn't come to fruition, you can see how some things have been carried forward. CD redevelopment, the LRT proposal (although failed now but still... shows that rapid transport has been proposed for a long time), station rebuilding etc. Alot of the parts of that plan have just transformed to be fit for the 21st century. Although the city wall thing has been dropped, developments like City Walk and The Mint are arguably doing what that trade centre would have done in part.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Cheers guys............... thats the one, i remember the YEP having colour renders of it at the time.

Interesting seeing it again :eek:)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

Yes I remember it. I also remember thinking at the time that it was far too ambitious for Leeds. It was probably some student's plan that was floated !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also has anyone seen the Times Newspaper archive at: www.thetimes.co.uk/archive. That is a great resource looking at old things as it has loads on older developments in Leeds too lengthy to list here. Eg: the following has the article from 9th March 1938 mentioning the then planned 255 ft tall Briggate Tower where M&S is now located.: http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/to...&dateSearchType=range&refineQuerykeywordText=
This one

Looks like it may have been planned to be 255ft to the top of 23rd floor with the pinnacle taking it to 300ft ish. what a shame it was never built, the empire state in leeds. Got WWII to thank for that.

Also here with an alternative desisn
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2002830_23041934

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
DEWSBURY RD .

The Junction Hotel at Moor Rd(to right of photo advertising Melbourne Ales) is still standing but no longer a pub.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts