Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leeds tower named world best tall building

Broadcasting Place secured the prestigious award despite invoking a "love it or hate it" attitude due to its distinctive structure.
The building, which houses Leeds Metropolitan University's Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology, is made from weathering steel, which forms a rust-like appearance when exposed to weather.

It beat off Dubai's Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, at a ceremony organised by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH).
It was shortlisted for the award after being voted 2010 Europe's best tall building by the CTBUH in June.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...eds-tower-named-world-best-tall-building.html
The comments below the article are quite pathetic. I think it's a superb cathedralesque building. It's dared to do something different.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and judged by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the awards took place in Chicago last week. Broadcasting Place is a public/private partnership for Downing and Leeds Metropolitan University, a landmark building rising to 23 storeys. In this David and Goliath story, Broadcasting Tower 70m tall was shortlisted against the giants of the Bank of America tower in New York 366m, the Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai 828m and the Pinnacle at Duxton, Singapore 163m.
e-architect.co.uk/leeds/broadcasting_place.htm

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Yes, telegraph comments from people with no idea about architecture... Luckily they weren't the ones voting. It's a nice feeling studying architecture in this building, and I feel proud showing prospective students around it :)

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
isn't this old news? We've had a thread on this, I'm sure. And the tower got more than its fair share of praise from everyone on the forum.

EDIT: Oh I see. Anyway, my point still stands. Great building. That is all.

·
ßANNED
4,233 Posts
Is this in comparison to all tall buildings? Including the eiffel tower, empire state building etc etc?
No, just those completed in the past year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts