SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List of upcoming fixtures

Okay, so what are people's predictions for the forthcoming season?

Realistically, I cannot see us finishing higher than mid-table this season, due to the expected departures of a number of key personnel and the lack of quality brought in so far.

That said I am fairly confident that we'll be solid in defence this year but I am a little worried about where the goals are going to come from and our ability to keep possession in the centre of the park.

I'm more optimistic that the takeover will happen but again, cautious on a number of fronts; amount of funds available, and overall vision for the club. We've all seen what has happened at Blackburn and Portsmouth. Hopefully, the dismissal of Bates and his bitch Harvey will encourage the likes of Snodgrass and McCormack to stay for a little longer.

Anyway, I in the end we'll finish in a less than inspiring 9th place.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Well Il only believe this takeover when whoever takes over Leeds signs on the dotted line and it says a lot about the mooted Kuwaiti interest in Leeds United have decided to takeover Nottingham Forest instead. I can certainly imagine Ken Bates has probably turned the finances of Leeds United into something that is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by mystery presumably designed to mask any dodgy dealings and to pay as little if any tax as possible and I can certainly imagine Ken Bates to be all but impossible to do business with.

So could Leeds United potentially go into Bahraini ownership? http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....keover-talks-the-bahrain-connection-1-4727647

Any thoughts on this rumour? Is this Sheikh high up in the Bahraini dictatorship which would certainly be rather unethical? Still Leeds certainly needs any investment provided it is financially and legally competent and isn't just in for the short term.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
List of upcoming fixtures

Okay, so what are people's predictions for the forthcoming season?

Warnock looks to be putting together a solid side. Definitely focusing on the defence which last years was the biggest weakness. We need a couple of quality attacking players but I'm not sure where they are going to come from. You don't get promoted from the Championship by playing like Barcalona though. It's about being tough to beat and winning the tough games which is exactly what his track record is.

I think we have a good chance although there are some big names in there this season.

As far as the takeover goes, it depends which way the winds blowing on which rumour you believe. Its not investment or else it would be done by now. Mega bucks does not always equal mega spend so some people may be getting a little carried away in their hopes and dreams. It's not going to be Man City part II. Bates out, Harvey out and someone with money to buy back the ground, Thorpe Arch and build a team that stays in the Premiership would be the best thing to happen.

The club seems to have lost its connection to its bigges asset - the fans. Winning those back will be the biggest priority for a new owner. They are n danger of losing an entire generation to other clubs which in the long run will be extremely damaging.

MOT

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Yorkshire Post Published on Wednesday 11 July 2012 10:13

Reports in the Middle East have put a name to the mystery man they believe to be in pole position to buy Leeds United.

Gulf Weekly reports that the group of Middle East investors, with links across the region, is headed by Bahrain’s Shaikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Al Khalifa.

The report, from the Bahrain-based newspaper, goes on to say that the Shaikh is a lifelong supporter of Leeds and was previously linked with a failed takeover of the club in 2003.

According to the newspaper, friends of Shaikh Abdulrahman say he is currently visiting Europe and is not available to comment.

In 2003 he told reporters: “I fell in love with the club when I was 11-years-old when Leeds played Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

“Leeds mean everything to me, I was born to support them. Those who are closest to me, my friends and my family, know what Leeds United mean to me.”

The protracted takeover saga has been rumbling on for more than a month with the trail having gone cold in North America, and now appearing to settle in the Gulf.

Leeds United released a statement recently that read: “Leeds United can confirm they have granted an exclusivity period to enable a potential investor to carry out the appropriate due diligence.

“It is anticipated this will be a fairly straightforward process. A confidentiality clause prevents the club from making any further comment.

“However, our discussions with them have left us very comfortable that they have the financial resources to support the club and that they will have no issues in satisfying the requirements of the Football League’s Owners and Directors Test, unlike many of the previous approaches we have had to endure.”

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm a keen follower of F1 and the bad publicity of Bahrain has tarnished the sports name a tad. I'm not sure if I want Leeds to be linked to the same bad image.

Personally I've got nothing against Bahrain but Leeds have suffered with enough negative publicity over the years I'm pretty sure this would just add fuel to the fire.

·
Registered
30,483 Posts
While I agree to some extent, I think you have to be in the debate to change it. We'll never change Bahrain by segregating ourselves off from it, as is the case with any scenario like this. The more links that are established, the more opportunities for change there are.

·
6,897 Posts
This individual may (most probably) have nothing to do with any alleged activities that have caused the bad publicity, so in my mind if he is not invovled he is innocent, regardles of what other members of his home country have allegedly done, so I don't see that should be a factor?

One could argue our nation has carried out dictator-like activities recently, but the majority of the public are not invovled and can do nothing to stop it, so are also innocent of such activities.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If this individual was just a businessman based in Bahrain I could agree with your sentiments. However he is actually part of the Bahraini royal family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Khalifa_family

His interests may be in the best for Leeds but he is directly linked to the cause of the recent civil unrest.

I was discussing this with a colleague earlier and it may be a bit of an extreme example here but if Saddam Hussains cousin decided to invest in Leeds would you be comfortable with it?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wake up people the biggest criminals in the world are us and the yanks, we are the people keeping the Bahrain royals in power and allowing these activity's to continue as long as the oil keeps flowing..... Wake up people we got more blood on our hands than most other country's.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wish they would just be honest with the UK public, when we went to Iraq I wish they had just said we want their oil and Saddam is a dangerous crazy leader, so we will go there kill them and take there oil, what was the need to make all this bullshit up about WMD just be honest and im sure more people would have supported the war....

·
Back home
4,171 Posts
http://http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=333967

This piece in the Gulf News doesn't add anything to the speculation already happening, but demonstrates it's still alive
According to a discussion last night with a friend who has an acquaintance with the administrators who still have involvement in LUFC (sounds tenuous?), it is very much alive and will be concluded imminently (within days). Apparently, the investment will be very significant leading to Leeds being one of the richest clubs in the country (bated breath).

It also appears that the due diligence is straightforward, even thoug Bates is an odious bastard who has dragged the club through as much negative publicity as possible with his lack of transparency.

·
Registered
498 Posts
yesterday Leeds signed four players in one day, for the first time since....forever?

Players coming in are:

Jamie Ashdown, 31, Goalkeeper (ex Portsmouth)
Rodolph Austin, 27, Midfielder (ex SK Brann)
Luke Varney, 29, Winger (ex Portsmouth)
Andy Gray, 34, Striker (ex Barnsley)

also seen around Elland Road & strong rumoured to be coming in soon are:

Lee Peltier, 25, Defender, Leicester City
David Norris, 31, Midfielder, Portsmouth
Matthew Kilgallon, 28, Defender, Sunderland
Nicky Maynard, 25, Striker, West Ham
Lewis McGugan, 23, Winger, Nottingham Forest
David Templeton, 23, Winger, Heart of Midlothian
Stephen Dobbie, 29, Striker, Swansea City
Martin Cranie, 25, Defender, Coventry City

additionally, left back/left winger Aidan White has just signed a new 3-year contract, and winger (and captain) Robert Snodgrass is rumoured to be on the verge of doing so too. Ross McCormack, however, looks to be heading to the exit having failed to agree a new deal.

Still transfer listed are:

Andy O'Brien, Defender
Ramon Nunez, Winger
Paul Rachubka, Goalkeeper
Paul Connolly, Defender
Billy Paynter, Striker

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Not that bothered about Snodgrass, don't think he's a Premiership class player, whether shooting or putting in a cross he was always inconsistent.last year of contract and all that, if they get a decent amount for him all well and good.

If anybody hasn't seen the goals from Mondays match here they are, the 5th goal is a bit special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n68stnsQw

1 - 20 of 371 Posts