SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Leeds United - The Championship - 2012/13

23238 Views 370 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Jamster
List of upcoming fixtures

Okay, so what are people's predictions for the forthcoming season?

Realistically, I cannot see us finishing higher than mid-table this season, due to the expected departures of a number of key personnel and the lack of quality brought in so far.

That said I am fairly confident that we'll be solid in defence this year but I am a little worried about where the goals are going to come from and our ability to keep possession in the centre of the park.

I'm more optimistic that the takeover will happen but again, cautious on a number of fronts; amount of funds available, and overall vision for the club. We've all seen what has happened at Blackburn and Portsmouth. Hopefully, the dismissal of Bates and his bitch Harvey will encourage the likes of Snodgrass and McCormack to stay for a little longer.

Anyway, I in the end we'll finish in a less than inspiring 9th place.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Yorkshire Post Published on Wednesday 11 July 2012 10:13


Reports in the Middle East have put a name to the mystery man they believe to be in pole position to buy Leeds United.


Gulf Weekly reports that the group of Middle East investors, with links across the region, is headed by Bahrain’s Shaikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Al Khalifa.

The report, from the Bahrain-based newspaper, goes on to say that the Shaikh is a lifelong supporter of Leeds and was previously linked with a failed takeover of the club in 2003.

According to the newspaper, friends of Shaikh Abdulrahman say he is currently visiting Europe and is not available to comment.

In 2003 he told reporters: “I fell in love with the club when I was 11-years-old when Leeds played Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final.

“Leeds mean everything to me, I was born to support them. Those who are closest to me, my friends and my family, know what Leeds United mean to me.”

The protracted takeover saga has been rumbling on for more than a month with the trail having gone cold in North America, and now appearing to settle in the Gulf.

Leeds United released a statement recently that read: “Leeds United can confirm they have granted an exclusivity period to enable a potential investor to carry out the appropriate due diligence.

“It is anticipated this will be a fairly straightforward process. A confidentiality clause prevents the club from making any further comment.

“However, our discussions with them have left us very comfortable that they have the financial resources to support the club and that they will have no issues in satisfying the requirements of the Football League’s Owners and Directors Test, unlike many of the previous approaches we have had to endure.”
From The Sun newspaper Sunday 12th Aug:


THE Middle East takeover of Leeds United is still ON.
Sources close to the deal insist negotiations continue between Leeds owner Ken Bates and what is understood to be a major financial institution.

An insider said: “Contrary to reports, the deal is still on and is on course to be completed by the end of the transfer window.”

Leeds announced in a recent statement that the would-be buyers had failed to agree a deal within the period of exclusivity and so other offers would be welcomed.

But it is thought that talks are well advanced and the takeover will go ahead, subject to resolving some minor sticking points which have emerged late in negotiations.

The potential owners believe they have the money and the vision to take Leeds back into the Premier League after the work done by the Bates regime to arrest the decline of one of English football’s most famous names.
Yorkshire Evening Post By Phil Hay
Published on Saturday 18 August 2012 09:03


The proposed takeover of Leeds United was awaiting the go-ahead today after a week of exhaustive negotiations between United’s board and the group bidding to buy the club.


Intense discussions involving the legal representatives of both sides have continued throughout the past seven days in an attempt to break the deadlock surrounding the bid by a Middle Eastern consortium to take control at Elland Road.

A deal to acquire the club and the 72.85 per cent stake held by chairman and owner Ken Bates – a deal believed to have been reached in principle at the end of June – appeared to be drifting towards collapse a week ago but renewed talks have revived the possibility of a full takeover.

A legal source told the YEP last night that the buy-out of United was still dependent on the two sides resolving “necessary legal matters”, describing them as “decisive issues” but claiming the process was nearing the “end of the line, whichever way it goes.”

Bates, 80, was planning to attend United’s first Championship game of the season this afternoon – the start of his eighth full league term as the club’s chairman – after flying into England from Monaco on Wednesday, though it is understood that the buyers had hoped to see a takeover signed off ahead of today’s clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The group, whose identities remain unclear, have been discussing the purchase of Leeds for more almost three months and remain at the negotiating table, despite complications developing last week and frustration growing over the delay in agreeing a settlement.

The consortium are believed to be based in the Middle East, with their offer fronted by a financial institution in the region.

Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Hamad Al-Khalifa – a member of Bahrain’s ruling family who attempted unsuccessfully to take control of United in 2003 – was reported to be among the buyers but his involvement has never been confirmed and he has made no public comment about the proposed acquisition of Leeds.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top