SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Banned
6,121 Posts
You're saying my post was entirely wrong ?

I don't think whether Snodgrass stays or goes [ well he's gone ] well if he had stayed don't think it would have made that much difference to our promotion chances. I am much more pleased that we have held on to Lees and White, two young players who we can build a defense/team around - did you see what I did there ? rhymed please and Lees - u don't get that from no 1.

Oh, apart from the other things I mentioned, Snodgrass hardly ever tracked back he was always leaving the fullback exposed - think his engine was poor, always ran out of puff.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Fair enough, we will see how Snoddy goes on against the big boys. I actually think Norwich will struggle this season, I'm taking into account 2nd season syndrome plus I don't believe Grant Holt can have another goal scoring season like last season.

I too am not overtly impressed with the signings Warnock has made, apart from Kenny and Green I've not heard of any of the others.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Excellent one nil victory to start the season in front of a strong crowd of 23,475, all new signings played well including El Hadji Diouf.
Was there only me who watched/listened to the game yesterday ? where's Bradley,Bannock and the like ? Or is everybody waiting till Tuesdays match with Blackpool before delivering praise or criticism.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Brightening the mood after yesterdays disappointing result. Former fans favorite Allan " smudger " Smith was sent off last night for MK Dons ? in under 20 minutes. This is the third player MK Dons ? have had red carded in a row - looks like Smithy has found a natural home for his over aggressive type of play.

On another note former Leeds ace striker Mike Grella netted for Scunthorpe last night.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Brightening the mood after yesterdays disappointing result. Former fans favorite Allan " smudger " Smith was sent off last night for MK Dons ? in under 20 minutes. This is the third player MK Dons ? have had red carded in a row - looks like Smithy has found a natural home for his over aggressive type of play.

On another note former Leeds ace striker Mike Grella netted for Scunthorpe last night.
Another player sent off for the Dons, the red card issued makes it 4 this season.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Warnock - who I like - was only brought in short term to get us promoted last season ! Whatever happens I'm sure he will leave ether before or at the end of the season. It was a bit daft really bringing somebody in who was only going to be here two seasons max. What we needed was long term planning and structure over the next 5 years, not this hand to mouth existence with a chairman who is not interested and short term loan players who have the same attitude. If we do ever get new ownership I expect the new board to bring in their own man as usual maybe sooner rather than later.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
SSN also reporting takeover with contracts signed today. There take is that Bates only stays has chairman for the transitional period of one month before becoming life president.

Update, Sky now reporting that Bates remains in place till the end of the season

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Think we have to wait for a statement from the new owners about what they are bringing and which direction they want to take the club before we can judge if Bates is going to bring any on going influence to bear on the club.

For me, the people who put in the money and own the club will have the power over Bates the chairman - a Bates who spends most of the time outside the country for tax reasons. I think at Chelsea Bruce Buck is the chairman but everybody knows owner Abramovich calls the shots on every aspect of the club.

Expect Warnock to go at the end of the season along with Bates to his new Presidential position. It maybe a smart move by everybody, Bates and Warnock take the flack for a disappointing season which allows the owners to bring in their appointment has manager and headhunt a chief Executive who knows his or her way around a Premier League football club.

Finally I do hope the new owners make good their promise has reported in the local media about repurchasing Elland Road and Thorpe Arch.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
At least him staying at Hudds for the rest of the season will stop the endless speculation about him coming back to Leeds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Warnock go for two strikers, another big guy to share the workload with Becchio and a quick guy as we lack that asset at the moment. Mackail-Smith of Brighton was being chased by Warnock in pre-season and they may consider a swap with McCormack who seems out-of-favour. I'd also love it if we could get Chris Wood who's currently on-loan at Millwall. That would be a good balanced strikeforce at this level - Becchio, Wood, Mackail-Smith and Somma.
Think Bechio and Mackail - Smith are too similar so don't think they would play together. That being the case don't think MS would leave Brighton to sit on the bench. The other thing is MS is not a prolific goal scorer.

I think if the money is available Warnock will go back in for Cameron Jerome who he was interested in bringing to the club last month.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
YEP 30 Nov

Warnock revealed that he had also enquired about signing Beckford on loan from Leicester and Church on loan from Reading but was unable to complete either deal amid doubt about the now-finalised buy-out of Leeds by GFH Capital.
Presumably that was in the past tense as Beckford was already an on loan player at Huddersfield by the 30th November.

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Well they both have longish blonde hair but I don't think their playing styles are similar at all. M-S is shorter and quicker and his game is more about running at people, running into space and maintaining a high workrate. He may or may not work well with Becchio but I don't think it would fail because they are too similar. I know Warnock is on record as saying he tried to sign him in summer.
I know Warnock tried to buy M-S don't know if that was to replace Becchio or not, me thinks with the then quoted million pound price tag Becchio might have been going in the opposite direction. The few Brighton games I have seen M-S played the lone striker, yes he has a high work rate and maybe faster than Becchio and seems to close down defenders as much as anything else. Don't recall M-S running by or past defenders that much.

I think Warnock has to be careful who he brings in, with Becchio in rich goal scoring form we somebody to compliment rather than compete with him.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.