SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List of upcoming fixtures

Okay, so what are people's predictions for the forthcoming season?

Realistically, I cannot see us finishing higher than mid-table this season, due to the expected departures of a number of key personnel and the lack of quality brought in so far.

That said I am fairly confident that we'll be solid in defence this year but I am a little worried about where the goals are going to come from and our ability to keep possession in the centre of the park.

I'm more optimistic that the takeover will happen but again, cautious on a number of fronts; amount of funds available, and overall vision for the club. We've all seen what has happened at Blackburn and Portsmouth. Hopefully, the dismissal of Bates and his bitch Harvey will encourage the likes of Snodgrass and McCormack to stay for a little longer.

Anyway, I in the end we'll finish in a less than inspiring 9th place.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
He's our best player by some distance. Personally, I think if the guy had pace then he'd be a £15-20m plus player. I'm pretty gutted by this one tbh, I naively thought he might stick out the season, slim as our chances were at getting promoted. Unfortunately, it's the same old story at Leeds.

Oh and STOPGO, you're wrong.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah sorry, I do disagree with everything you've said, though you're welcome to your opinion. I just think without Snoddy we will struggle to create chances in this league. The signings so far are less than inspiring and without him its gonna be a real struggle.

Happy about both Lees and White, yes but though I think White could act as a poor man's Gareth Bale in this league, I don't see Lees ever being more than a solid, no nonsense Championship player.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
It's not all about results, the discontent is largely due to Warnock's tactics and how we completely bypass midfield, play players regularly out of position and seem to have given up the fight. I've no doubt we will win on Saturday against Bristol City but that will only paper over the cracks. It's his team now, if he cannot get the best out if them then he should go.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I don't believe for one bit that Becchio has instigated this, as I'm sure the owners, Harvey, Lorimer et al would have you believe. They've most likely offered him miserable terms in a new deal and / or seen £ signs in their eyes at the prospect of making a few quid.

There's a complete lack of ambition at that club and this proves it. You cannot sell your top goalscorer and expect promotion. It's no surprise attendances are so poor, especially when you throw the crap performances in to the mix.

Same old Leeds.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if this was the plan all along, with GFH being a buffer between Bates and Pearson. Pearson left Hull (i think) approximately the same time as the takeover talks began, maybe just a coincidence.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Bates' role as President is nothing more than massaging his ego, it keeps him in football and the limelight without actually having any real power. It makes sense to GFH to want to keep both him and Harvey at the club until the end if the season, as much as I want them to leave.

My gut feeling is and always has been that GFH are investors and making a quick quid was always their plan, they're already touting for new investment. Personally, I hope that Pearson (assuming it is him) comes back with an improved bid and they get rid. I'd sooner be owned by a local consortium with a bit more of a face than one in the Middle East for accountability reasons.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
I guess we're not really much of a gamble to investors, we still pull in one of the highest revenues in the league, we're in a relatively sound financial position and that's unlikely to change given we don't spend anything. Providing the club stays in the Championship investors won't lose out. The incentive for then is that we sneak up in to the Premiership in the next two years and they hit the jackpot.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
I'd rather have neither. More dismal football; Reading have made the fewest passes in the Premier League this year, even less than Stoke who have come bottom of that table for 6 consecutive years.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Throw a name into the hat then Alexi
I'm not going to start listing off names but I think now is the perfect opportunity for Leeds to appoint someone with a clear vision, and to be honest, that should come from the board and not the manager.

I'm not a fan of the traditional English manager; he has his thoughts, brings his own players in, the manager gets sacked, new manager comes in, brings his own players in. It's a vicious circle with no direction and it would be more beneficial to adopt a European method of having a coach and a director of football. Swansea lead the way in this in this country; appoint a coach that fits your philosophy and not their own. If any if you are interested, there's an interesting chapter on it's benefits in Soccernomics / Why England lose by Simon Kuper.

Having said that I'm not going to name names, Poyet has been and remains top of my list but it would need a fair amount of backing to persuade him I feel. Failing that I'd take a chance at promoting from within, Karl Robinson or own from left field; Luis Enrique.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.