SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Well Il only believe this takeover when whoever takes over Leeds signs on the dotted line and it says a lot about the mooted Kuwaiti interest in Leeds United have decided to takeover Nottingham Forest instead. I can certainly imagine Ken Bates has probably turned the finances of Leeds United into something that is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by mystery presumably designed to mask any dodgy dealings and to pay as little if any tax as possible and I can certainly imagine Ken Bates to be all but impossible to do business with.

So could Leeds United potentially go into Bahraini ownership? http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....keover-talks-the-bahrain-connection-1-4727647

Any thoughts on this rumour? Is this Sheikh high up in the Bahraini dictatorship which would certainly be rather unethical? Still Leeds certainly needs any investment provided it is financially and legally competent and isn't just in for the short term.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
From The Sun newspaper Sunday 12th Aug:

THE Middle East takeover of Leeds United is still ON.
Sources close to the deal insist negotiations continue between Leeds owner Ken Bates and what is understood to be a major financial institution.
Well I would certainly treat anything from The Sun with a pinch of salt and I personally would only believe the truth in this takeover when this takeover is fully completed and Ken Bates leaves Leeds for Monaco never to be seen again.

Still at least Leeds United beat Shrewsbury Town 4-0 at Elland Road yesterday in the Capital One Cup albiet with a rather terrible for a Saturday afternoon attendance of just 18,194. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19123956

Presume a mix of lowly opposition, Ken Bates in charge and Olympics diverting attention being reasons for the poor attendance. I wonder how much of an attendance there will be for the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers next weekend considering Wolves were a big club back in the day?

· Registered
9,982 Posts

· Registered
9,982 Posts
As i say, i hope i am wrong and that there is some serious money,not sure we want a Glazers situation where money is borrowed to finance a purchase,perhaps im being naive.
Ditto. I would certainly hope any new owners of Leeds United are financially sound and not just there to build the debt back to unmanageable levels although I can't wait for Ken Bates to fly off to Monaco never to return.

Also Leeds United drew 2-2 away at the Reebok against Bolton Wanderers last night and in other significant news Peter "Living the Dream" Ridsdale has been banned from being a company director for seven and a half years. :cheers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19819177

Certainly a long time coming considering his terrible track record at a number of football clubs not just Leeds United although I would personally bar him from ever coming close to owning a football club ever again imo considering history with his experience at Leeds United alone surely being a scandal enough alone although no doubt I can imagine Peter Ridsdale exploiting some loophole. Have the FA ever investigated Peter Ridsdale or are they not bothered with having incompetent owners of football clubs?

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Good 3-0 victory for Leeds tonight against Southampton meaning Leeds has now had its best run in the League Cup since the 1995-6 season (in the year that LUFC were finalists). Good news and it would be interesting to see who Leeds will face next (either a big name or a possibly a possible route to the semis) although tonight's attendance was very poor at around 17,000.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Leeds United will be facing Chelsea at Elland Road in the quarter final of the League Cup to take place on the 19th December.

Certainly will be a big fixture and it will be interesting to see if Ken Bates will still be in charge of Leeds United by the time his former club visits Elland Road or if he will have sold it off by December?

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Not as good as it seems. The televised Wednesday game is still in people's minds and any crowd trouble will be another attempt to definitively say 'Leeds are beyond the pale'; this fixture could certainly produce trouble. Then there is the no-win scenario on the pitch.

I would have preferred Bradford City.
Well considering the long held animosity between Leeds United and Chelsea (stretching back decades even before Ken Bates was involved with Chelsea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.–Leeds_United_A.F.C._rivalry) for this upcoming fixture surely the Police will be all out in force id have thought anticipating any trouble and surely they would have intelligence about the types likely to commit such disorder.

Still I hope it is a case for a thrilling cup tie on the pitch as opposed to seeing it spoiled by the idiots although I guess it is a shame Leeds didn't get Bradford City or Middlesbrough as an easier route to a potential semi final although it is nice to see Leeds face the current European champions at Elland Road as well as Premier League title contenders.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
What a load of f**king rubbish. Certainly Leeds are quickly falling down to the depths of the league making a relegation battle a strong possibility at a season when Leeds United really should have made a push for promotion. It is certainly very typical Leeds to have periods like recently when their on pitch form is so dire through failing to win any of their last six league fixtures.

Apparently there are only days until the takeover.
Didn't Master Bates say Leeds were only days away from a takeover during the summer. Somehow I have my strong doubts and Im still concerned over the finances of this Middle Eastern consortium in being able to afford to purchase Leeds United without building up massive (potentially unsustainable) debts.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
I am beginning to accept VV's scepticism concerning the mysterious takeover. Why not just come out and tell us it is not happening and save us all of the disappointment. Another wasted season.
Very True Jamster.

Yet another 1-0 loss today away against Millwall with another Leeds sending off to boot. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20286134

Wonder if Neil Warnock could potentially be up for the chop if things don't change as surely things weren't this bad during Simon Graysons tenure and certainly it would be a massive disaster for Leeds as a city if it's main football team were to fall yet again into the third tier. I wonder if relegation and administration could be Ken Bates goodbye gift for Leeds United? :eek:hno: :bash: It is also certainly a shame that Leeds doesn't have another league football club imo.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
The bad news:

Bates stays on as Chairman for rest of season and then becomes President (although the club will be 100% owned by the new people).

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20121121/gfh-capital-to-take-over-leeds-united_2247585_2986979
Well if Ken Bates is to become President for Life I just cannot see any changes taking place at Leeds United compared with the situation before the takeover as no doubt I can see Ken Bates still having a fair bit of control over the club despite taking on a supposedly honorary position.

Any thoughts on a possible Leeds United v Crystal Palace result for this Saturday as I cannot see Leeds getting anything from that game againist the current top team in the Championship.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
I had a sudden realisation yesterday when watching Leeds capitulate: we are the new old Man City.
But hasn't Leeds United now spent more seasons out of the top flight compared with the Wilderness years of Man City between 1996 and 2002 which had included just one season in the third tier and one season in the Premier League compared with three in the third division and none in the Premier League for Leeds United since their relegation in 2004? :eek:hno: Surely similar comparisions could be made with Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday imo with both clubs not having a presence in the Premier League since 1999 and 2000 respectively in addition to spells in the third tier despite both being seen as big clubs with histories in terms of support base and trophies to match Leeds.

As for the match unsurprising although typical Leeds to just throw everything away to a hefty defeat although what is more important is to surely get back into the swing of winning League matches.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.