SkyscraperCity Forum banner
361 - 371 of 371 Posts

· Banned
6,121 Posts
Killa would be an expensive and poor choice in my opinion; he's gone backwards as a footballer since he left us and his shenanigans last week suggest he wouldn't be much of a positive influence off the field either.

I would much prefer us to look at attractions some young players with potential as well as blooding some if our own. I am not too bothered about promotion next year, my number one wish is to see a young, hungry football team that plays football.
Do think it's a no brainer to get Killa back if the chance is there. No transfer fee and with just the wages to stump up. I watched the Sunderland Liverpool game and he was outstanding against Suarez and gave him a tough time. The alternative seems to be this ex reading player Mills who was bombed out at Leicester and in the process of doing the same at Bolton and has a £25,000 pw pay packet - of the two of them I know which one I would prefer.

Need to get out of this division, not bothered about the Cups - play the second team in those. We need to improve the fitness of the players, rotate the players better and play 4 3 3.

· jamster
97 Posts
It certainly says a lot to see Leeds's average gate decline to 21,572 from 23,379 considering mediocre performance, lack of ambition and high ticket prices. Also interesting comparing English football with German football which has attracted very high attendances as a result of low ticket prices and also interesting to note Rangers still attracting an average of 45,750 even though they played in the bottom tier of the Scottish Football League. Also I wonder how the likes of Accrington Stanley and Dagenham & Redbridge manage to survive in the Football League considering average attendances of 1,674 and 1,903 respectively which is even lower than most of the clubs in the Conference.

German clubs have the 50+1% rule where the supporters are the majority shareholders which stops oligarchs owning their clubs. Being majority shareholders they then dictate ticket prices. They also refuse to pay the outrageous wage demands. Two German clubs just played off the Champions league final and Bayern have signed Pepe Guardiola because he was sick and tired of Abramavich harassing him. This is uniquely German and it works. Could it work in England?

· Man of Motion
608 Posts
It certainly says a lot to see Leeds's average gate decline to 21,572 from 23,379 considering mediocre performance, lack of ambition and high ticket prices. Also interesting comparing English football with German football which has attracted very high attendances as a result of low ticket prices and also interesting to note Rangers still attracting an average of 45,750 even though they played in the bottom tier of the Scottish Football League. Also I wonder how the likes of Accrington Stanley and Dagenham & Redbridge manage to survive in the Football League considering average attendances of 1,674 and 1,903 respectively which is even lower than most of the clubs in the Conference.

German clubs have the 50+1% rule where the supporters are the majority shareholders which stops oligarchs owning their clubs. Being majority shareholders they then dictate ticket prices. They also refuse to pay the outrageous wage demands. Two German clubs just played off the Champions league final and Bayern have signed Pepe Guardiola because he was sick and tired of Abramavich harassing him. This is uniquely German and it works. Could it work in England?
Didn't someone on here say recently that Germany was what the UK could be like if it tried ? I fear that we're too good at attempting to persuade and implore rather than telling people to get on and do it. The government is clearly racked off by football governance but will it do anything ?

· Registered
9,977 Posts
The draw has been made for the first round of the 2013-14 League Cup: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22908787

York City v Burnley
Leeds United v Chesterfield
Huddersfield Town v Bradford City
Should be an easily winnable first round fixture for Leeds United against Chesterfield of League Two although no doubt to a low audience. Also interesting to note the West Yorkshire derby match between Huddersfield Town and Bradford City and a relatively high profile match for York City who will be at home against Burnley.

On another note could Leeds United be in with a shout of signing players from Hearts FC who have just gone into administration? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22944291

Still Leeds United do really need to sign some decent players if they are ever going to make a push for promotion which I am cynical will happen considering the way things have gone since GFH have taken over LUFC.

· jamster
97 Posts
McDermott is finally realising why Leeds are stuck in the Championship. Once again despite promises there is no money and now there is talk he will have to sell players to buy players. So far we have recruited one player on a free transfer. These new owners seem to be under the illusion that McDermott can gain promotion by using the 'force'. No players=No promotion. Bates milked every last dollar from Leeds and now the new owners are going to try and emulate his accomplishments. To make matter worse these new owners are demnading that relatives and friends be given trials in Leeds youth development squad. Another wasted year.Time to start agitating and get rid of these clowns.

· Registered
84 Posts
We spent £1 million on Luke Murphy, a very promising young player from Crewe today, the board has been reshuffled, Bates is no longer chairman, Harvey has been demoted. We signed a new deal with skybet and there's strong rumours a new club shop will be opening this summer. Has been a good day, for us today, i'm optomistic anyway.

· jamster
97 Posts
Sat in front the T.V last night and watched Liverpool play Melbourne Victory in a friendly at the M.C.G which attracted a healthy crowd of 95,000 (Australian record). Leeds has a huge following in Australia and I dare say still in Asia. What better way to lift the profile of the club than to organise a tour in the pre season. They would come up against very good competition and make some needed money and probably sell a few thousand guernseys.It would also allow a few of the coaches to have a long hard look at some of the local talent which is playing and being snapped up in Europe.Instead we take on the might of Walsall....and lose. The current owners have no vision all they see is the £20 million quid for getting promoted.

· jamster
97 Posts
Well the Melbourne Storm did beat Leeds a few months back. You would be surprised at the following Leeds has in Australia. If promotion was to happen the following would explode.Just need an owner with some ambition. Oh well off to the local bookie to see what odds I can get for the Aussies to bat for one full day in the next Test. Not holding my breath.

361 - 371 of 371 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.