SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Leeds United - The Championship - 2012/13

23228 370
List of upcoming fixtures

Okay, so what are people's predictions for the forthcoming season?

Realistically, I cannot see us finishing higher than mid-table this season, due to the expected departures of a number of key personnel and the lack of quality brought in so far.

That said I am fairly confident that we'll be solid in defence this year but I am a little worried about where the goals are going to come from and our ability to keep possession in the centre of the park.

I'm more optimistic that the takeover will happen but again, cautious on a number of fronts; amount of funds available, and overall vision for the club. We've all seen what has happened at Blackburn and Portsmouth. Hopefully, the dismissal of Bates and his bitch Harvey will encourage the likes of Snodgrass and McCormack to stay for a little longer.

Anyway, I in the end we'll finish in a less than inspiring 9th place.
21 - 40 of 371 Posts
He's our best player by some distance. Personally, I think if the guy had pace then he'd be a £15-20m plus player. I'm pretty gutted by this one tbh, I naively thought he might stick out the season, slim as our chances were at getting promoted. Unfortunately, it's the same old story at Leeds.

Oh and STOPGO, you're wrong.
You're saying my post was entirely wrong ?

I don't think whether Snodgrass stays or goes [ well he's gone ] well if he had stayed don't think it would have made that much difference to our promotion chances. I am much more pleased that we have held on to Lees and White, two young players who we can build a defense/team around - did you see what I did there ? rhymed please and Lees - u don't get that from no 1.

Oh, apart from the other things I mentioned, Snodgrass hardly ever tracked back he was always leaving the fullback exposed - think his engine was poor, always ran out of puff.
Yeah sorry, I do disagree with everything you've said, though you're welcome to your opinion. I just think without Snoddy we will struggle to create chances in this league. The signings so far are less than inspiring and without him its gonna be a real struggle.

Happy about both Lees and White, yes but though I think White could act as a poor man's Gareth Bale in this league, I don't see Lees ever being more than a solid, no nonsense Championship player.
Fair enough, we will see how Snoddy goes on against the big boys. I actually think Norwich will struggle this season, I'm taking into account 2nd season syndrome plus I don't believe Grant Holt can have another goal scoring season like last season.

I too am not overtly impressed with the signings Warnock has made, apart from Kenny and Green I've not heard of any of the others.
Yet another Portsmouth player heading for Leeds. What's going on ? have they got a B O G O F sale going on down there.
We're single handedly saving Pompey. Yet another 30+ year old, so much for Warnock's promise to only sign players that would be an investment for the club.
Sounds like Snodgrass has gone, according Radio Leeds this morning, signed a 3 year deal at Norwich.

They were joking that Pompey fans will be watching home matches at Elland Rd next season.
Likewise Leeds fans watching home games at Carrow Rd.
Sounds like Snodgrass has gone, according Radio Leeds this morning, signed a 3 year deal at Norwich.

They were joking that Pompey fans will be watching home matches at Elland Rd next season.
From The Sun newspaper Sunday 12th Aug:

THE Middle East takeover of Leeds United is still ON.
Sources close to the deal insist negotiations continue between Leeds owner Ken Bates and what is understood to be a major financial institution.

An insider said: “Contrary to reports, the deal is still on and is on course to be completed by the end of the transfer window.”

Leeds announced in a recent statement that the would-be buyers had failed to agree a deal within the period of exclusivity and so other offers would be welcomed.

But it is thought that talks are well advanced and the takeover will go ahead, subject to resolving some minor sticking points which have emerged late in negotiations.

The potential owners believe they have the money and the vision to take Leeds back into the Premier League after the work done by the Bates regime to arrest the decline of one of English football’s most famous names.
Well I would certainly treat anything from The Sun with a pinch of salt and I personally would only believe the truth in this takeover when this takeover is fully completed and Ken Bates leaves Leeds for Monaco never to be seen again.

Still at least Leeds United beat Shrewsbury Town 4-0 at Elland Road yesterday in the Capital One Cup albiet with a rather terrible for a Saturday afternoon attendance of just 18,194. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19123956

Presume a mix of lowly opposition, Ken Bates in charge and Olympics diverting attention being reasons for the poor attendance. I wonder how much of an attendance there will be for the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers next weekend considering Wolves were a big club back in the day?
From The Sun newspaper Sunday 12th Aug:

THE Middle East takeover of Leeds United is still ON.
Sources close to the deal insist negotiations continue between Leeds owner Ken Bates and what is understood to be a major financial institution.
I think considering the time of year and the fact that every body had to buy tickets, the attendance was very good. I would expect us to average much more than 22-23 thousand this season.
Sounds like a fairly famous name heading to Leeds, El-Hadji Diouf.

I had to check out where his bad behavour reputation came from, apparantly a spate of spitting, and some alleged verbal afters with one or two players and refs, also an issue with his current fitness may need some attention. Assuming these are in his past and can be sorted, he has a very good playing record and could add some talent to the team. It may be a gamble to sign him, but could turn out to be one that's well worth taking.

Also sounds like good reports about David Norris (ex-Ipswich Town team captain) in the recent win over Shrewsbury Town.
I think we have a really good team at the moment, nothing to be sniffed at, at all! I mean, our defence could do with some work but it feels decent all around - which is quite a feat considering the lack of funds and the amount of money elsewhere in the championship.

As for Diouf, I'm not entirely pleased...especially after the brawl in the tunnel last season - amongst MANY other...controversial events he has caused.

So glad to hear about the takeover going well, regardless of whatever £££'s happen to come our way, I think that the thought of a takeover will give the players even more positive reasons to go out there for the moment and prove themselves on the pitch! :)

Looking good for LUFC! :cheers: I for one can't wait to be back at Elland Road this saturday.
Oxford at home in the cup.
Yorkshire Evening Post By Phil Hay
Published on Saturday 18 August 2012 09:03

The proposed takeover of Leeds United was awaiting the go-ahead today after a week of exhaustive negotiations between United’s board and the group bidding to buy the club.

Intense discussions involving the legal representatives of both sides have continued throughout the past seven days in an attempt to break the deadlock surrounding the bid by a Middle Eastern consortium to take control at Elland Road.

A deal to acquire the club and the 72.85 per cent stake held by chairman and owner Ken Bates – a deal believed to have been reached in principle at the end of June – appeared to be drifting towards collapse a week ago but renewed talks have revived the possibility of a full takeover.

A legal source told the YEP last night that the buy-out of United was still dependent on the two sides resolving “necessary legal matters”, describing them as “decisive issues” but claiming the process was nearing the “end of the line, whichever way it goes.”

Bates, 80, was planning to attend United’s first Championship game of the season this afternoon – the start of his eighth full league term as the club’s chairman – after flying into England from Monaco on Wednesday, though it is understood that the buyers had hoped to see a takeover signed off ahead of today’s clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The group, whose identities remain unclear, have been discussing the purchase of Leeds for more almost three months and remain at the negotiating table, despite complications developing last week and frustration growing over the delay in agreeing a settlement.

The consortium are believed to be based in the Middle East, with their offer fronted by a financial institution in the region.

Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Mubarak Hamad Al-Khalifa – a member of Bahrain’s ruling family who attempted unsuccessfully to take control of United in 2003 – was reported to be among the buyers but his involvement has never been confirmed and he has made no public comment about the proposed acquisition of Leeds.
Excellent one nil victory to start the season in front of a strong crowd of 23,475, all new signings played well including El Hadji Diouf.
Was there only me who watched/listened to the game yesterday ? where's Bradley,Bannock and the like ? Or is everybody waiting till Tuesdays match with Blackpool before delivering praise or criticism.
Excellent one nil victory to start the season in front of a strong crowd of 23,475, all new signings played well including El Hadji Diouf.
I missed any commentary, but good to know we got off to a good start, with what was a tough match on paper. We should be good and strong at the back now - something Neil has prioritised with his team 'surgery' during the break.
Can't help thinking this is the sort of guy KB should be looking to buy or invest in LUFC instead of trawling around the Middle East for investors.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....n-in-farmhouse-wind-turbine-wrangle-1-4852181
Come on Leeds!! Get back in the prem where you belong!

As a fanatical Spurs fan I was gutted when they got relegated, the easiest away day of the season by far and all my mates used to come up to Leeds for the matches.

Having a premier league team is a massive boost for any city and really puts it on the map, plus boosts tourists and the profile of the town / city. It really is a joke having the likes of Wigan in the league and not big city clubs like Notts Forest and Sheff Wednesday.
21 - 40 of 371 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.