Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was waiting for SG to start this but that's not gonna happen now so........

Bad start to the new campaign for Hockady as United go down 2-0 at Millwall. Judging by what I have read and seen we were wholly bad, not a shot on target from us.

There was an interesting discussion pre-match on Sky about the manager situation at Leeds, you can view it here...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x235hov_gillette-soccer-saturday-discuss-leeds-united-09-08-14-lufc_sport?start=0

Hockady post match interview here...
https://audioboo.fm/boos/2384297-david-hockaday-post-millwall-interview

·
Strong and Stable
7,004 Posts
Thats Cellino for you. I thought John Dennis was bad at Oakwell, but I'd sooner have Dennis than that idiot Cellino. And I wonder who will be the next manger of Leeds and when. As for the 'when' bit, I'll guess November 2014. Leeds are already looking like relegation fodder, and we're only one match in, and soon Cellino will be fingering his 38th scapegoat and recruiting No 39.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A new low?

Worse than the trouble at St Andrews in 1985? Worse than setting fire to a chip van then pushing it down the terrace at Odsall, in 1986? Worse than Bournemouth in 1990?

It's some lads shouting insults. No one died. No one was seriously injured. No property got damaged.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
with the said near accident occurring close to the hospital... it could have been a 'pregnant woman in type car' scenario or the driver might have been just smoking some weed and the spliff somehow slipped from his grasp into his lap. :eek:hno:Then theres a seizure/stroke. Either that or he was a failed hitman/assassin from Richmond Hill or environs

·
7,098 Posts
... Bad start to the new campaign for Hockady as United go down 2-0 at Millwall. Judging by what I have read and seen we were wholly bad, not a shot on target from us ...
That sounds somewhat excesively pessimistic - were we listening to the same match?

Yes, we lost, but to one sloppy early error and a very dodgy last minute penalty. The first half was poor by all accounts, although improved toward the latter part, but the second half was much better and we certainly had shots on target and other chances, we had one cleared off their line - it was so close to going to 1-1.

I'm not making any judgements yet, considering it's a completely new owner, new coach, many new younger players, and considering it's one of the hardest places to go (particularly for a first match of the season), so I wasn't too upset by the performance.

The big thing for me is how things progress over the next few matches! If Hockaday and the team are as good as we hope, they will improve, the team will gel and work as a team, they will clean up the defencive weaknesses, and improve their striking ability by introducing more creative play in the final third, and continue to improve the new work ethic and passing play that Hockaday has introduced since arriving.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds somewhat excesively pessimistic - were we listening to the same match?

Yes, we lost, but to one sloppy early error and a very dodgy last minute penalty. The first half was poor by all accounts, although improved toward the latter part, but the second half was much better and we certainly had shots on target and other chances, we had one cleared off their line - it was so close to going to 1-1.

I'm not making any judgements yet, considering it's a completely new owner, new coach, many new younger players, and considering it's one of the hardest places to go (particularly for a first match of the season), so I wasn't too upset by the performance.

The big thing for me is how things progress over the next few matches! If Hockaday and the team are as good as we hope, they will improve, the team will gel and work as a team, they will clean up the defencive weaknesses, and improve their striking ability by introducing more creative play in the final third, and continue to improve the new work ethic and passing play that Hockaday has introduced since arriving.
Yeah Ok we improved in the second half and did get a couple on target including the clear off the line, we didn't hit the target in the first half. It wasn't a penalty either but to be fair they had a certain penalty not given earlier, the ref' was only making up for that.

We were bad, I think four first teamers for Millwall were out with injury and had about the same number of debutants. It's never an easy place to visit and 2-0 sounds about par for the course there in recent times but the performance from what I've seen and heard was pretty dire. I listen to LUTV, Eddie Gray wasn't best pleased to say the least and this is a quote from neutral David Pleat:
"Millwall looked solid and like they could really compete this season, but Leeds on the other hand did not really play as a unit. They had nothing up front and didn't test the Millwall goalkeeper once. Territorially Millwall controlled things for around 70 minutes of the play."
I mean I still give Hockaday credit for his honesty in the post match interview. He mentions himself 'we didn't play particularly well' and 'we were disappointing' but he points out where it went wrong and what needs correcting. He's actually a pleasure to listen to compared to some past managers. It's still early days and a good result against Accy will hopefully change the mood and bring a bit of confidence in the camp but if Hockaday is to have any chance this season we need new players and that's down to Cellino.

1 - 20 of 474 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.