SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd take the liberty of starting a dedicated thread for this.

I came across this: Show your support.

Would be good to spread this around and get as many people as possible to show their support.

M.O.T

·
Village Idiot
226 Posts
I notice that news of a ice rink and the relocation of the police headquarters onto Elland Rd have hit the news very recently. Good timing? or simply a clever plan to demonstrate the area's potential?

Maybe im getting cynical in my old age lol. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
FA tours Leeds as part of it's World Cup 2018/22 bid. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/FA-tours-Leeds-as-part.5469188.jp

FA tours Leeds as part of city's 2018 World Cup party bid

By Paul Robinson
A delegation from the Football Association has run the rule over Leeds' sporting facilities as part of the city's bid to join the 2018 World Cup party.
Yorkshire's unofficial capital wants to be a host venue if England succeeds in bringing football home in nine years' time.

And yesterday, a seven-strong party from the FA assessed the merits of Leeds' bid during a tour of the city.

Delegates visited Leeds United's Elland Road ground, where matches would be played during the 2018 tournament if all goes according to plan.

They also inspected potential training bases for competing nations, such as the John Charles Centre for Sport and Leeds Metropolitan
University's Headingley campus.

Other stop-off points included Roundhay Park and Millennium Square, which could be turned into 'Fan Fest' sites where live games would be shown on giant TV screens.

Leeds is one of 15 English cities which are competing for the right to stage matches in 2018.

The FA is due to announce the successful candidates before the end of the year.

World football's governing body, Fifa, will choose the 2018 host nation about 12 months later.

Leeds's bid is being spearheaded by the city council, Leeds United and
Marketing Leeds.

* To register support, visit: www.backthebidleeds.com website.
Well I would certainly agree with Leeds hosting games for the 2018/22 World Cup although there would certainly need to be substantial improvements made to the stadium (basically a reconstruction of most of the stadium especially the west stand although the East Stand would probably only require cosmetic improvements) and would having Ken Bates at LUFC be a stumbling block (although would he really be still there by 2018)? However Leeds surely must have a chance considering the potential for a railway station on it's doorstep, it's national (and international) transport links via air, rail and road and the large number of amenities and hotels in the city.

Noticing on the Elland Road thread that only 3 cities are currently suitable for hosting World Cup games is it right to assume that this would be Old Trafford in Manchester (and perhaps City of Manchester Stadium when the Metrolink passes by that ground), St James's Park in Newcastle and Wembley Stadium and Emirates in London (and possibly Twickenham although that has rather poor transport links) with other cities such as Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham etc not having stadia or transport links which are up to scratch for such a tournament?

Other than this police station and ice arena is there anything else which could be sited in the Elland Road area to improve what is presently rather a poor gateway to the city and perhaps further enhance this end of town prior to a World Cup.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally think Captain Birdseye is a barrier to any progress whatsever but I really can't see Leeds not hosting games due to what the city has to offer and with the size of its catchment area.

In terms of the stadium it's a shithole but I love it and would hate to see its character destroyed by being almost completely rebuilt. At a minimum we need a new West Stand and if possible the Kop NE/NW and the South stand need to be made cantilever and possibly extended. Due to the footprint of the ground I'd be surprised to see another tier added to the South Stand though due to the horrific cost of building over Elland Road.

·
Registered
30,492 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8241632.stm
FA examines Leeds World Cup bid

A delegation from the Football Association has visited Leeds to assess its suitability as a possible host city for the 2018 World Cup.

Leeds is one of 15 cities across England hoping to be selected.

A series of football-themed activities were staged in Millennium Square to coincide with the visit.

The mascots for Leeds United, Huddersfield Town and Bradford City football clubs helped to drum up support for the Leeds bid.

The FA team visited training sites, city centre hotels and reviewed green spaces as possible areas for fans' villages.

Stadium improvements

In December the city will find out if it is a candidate city and in December 2010, will discover if England will be hosting the 2018 event.

If Leeds is successful, games would be held at Elland Road, the home of Leeds United.

Improvements would be made to the stadium so it was capable of hosting matches up to and including quarter finals.

Richard Brett, leader of Leeds City Council said "everything possible" was being done to ensure Leeds becomes a host city.

He said: "The prospect of hosting World Cup matches is an exciting one.

"It will bring huge benefits to the city and surrounding area and ensure that all that is great about Leeds and Yorkshire is shown to audiences around the world."

·
Registered
498 Posts
What the ground needs:

-new west stand (mirror image of east)

-new south stand (matching lower tier of east)

-new gelderd end (with removable seating on one steep tier, so that for club matches it can be taken out and we can have a stand on the gelderd again).

·
Registered
30,492 Posts
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Leeds-steps-up-bid-to.5624693.jp
Leeds steps up bid to be part of 2018 World Cup

08 September 2009
Paul Robinson

FOOTBALL fever broke out in Leeds as the city stepped up its campaign to be part of the 2018 World Cup.

Delegates from England 2018 were in Yorkshire's unofficial capital yesterday to check out its suitability as a venue for World Cup matches.

Set up by the Football Association, England 2018 is spearheading the country's bid to host the global football extravaganza in nine years' time.

And civic leaders are confident the delegates went away impressed after a day when even Mother Nature smiled on Leeds's World Cup dream.

Heavy rain had been forecast but instead the VIP guests were greeted by sunshine and blue skies as a mini festival of football was held for their benefit in Millennium Square.

Fun attractions included a match involving mascots from several local clubs, including Leeds United's Lucas the Kop Cat.

The delegates were also given a presentation in Leeds City Museum, which is currently playing host to acclaimed football exhibition A Game of Two Halves.

Afterwards they toured locations such as Garforth Town's Genix Healthcare ground, which could be used as a training facility for teams based in the city in 2018.

The itinerary also included a visit to Roundhay Park, earmarked as a potential 'fan fest' site where live games would be shown on giant TV screens during the tournament.

Leeds City Council's joint leader, Coun Andrew Carter, said: "Hosting World Cup games attracts massive investment in terms of jobs and tourist spending.

"People would think we were mad if we weren't very, very serious about getting involved."

Leeds United legend Eddie Gray said: "This is a vibrant, welcoming city - bringing the World Cup here would be fantastic."

Leeds is among more than a dozen English cities competing for the right to stage matches in 2018.

The bid is being led by the city council, Marketing Leeds and Leeds United.

If the World Cup ends up coming to Leeds, games would be played at United's Elland Road ground.

The FA is due to announce in December which cities will be included in England's formal bid to stage the 2018 tournament.

World soccer's governing body, Fifa, will reveal its chosen host country 12 months later.

To register your support for Leeds, visit the www.backthebidleeds.com website.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Positive feedback from decision makers analysing Leeds's 2018 / 2022 World Cup bids. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Positive-feedback-after-2018-World.5676054.jp

Positive feedback after 2018 World Cup panel visits Leeds

Eddie Gray (left) and Andrew Carter joint leader Leeds City Council backing the Leeds bid for the World Cup.

Date: 24 September 2009
By Paul Robinson
WE had a ball – that's the encouraging verdict of England's World Cup 2018 decision-makers on their recent visit to Leeds.

A delegation from England 2018 was in the city earlier this month to assess its suitability as a venue for World Cup matches.
And its representatives came away impressed, not only by the quality of Leeds's sporting facilities but also the passion of its people for the beautiful game.
A spokesman for the Leeds bid team said today: "(The delegation's] inspection report confirmed that the visit provided a good overview of the city's offer and demonstrated the desire of the city and partners to host the World Cup."
The spokesman also said a letter from England 2018 had complimented the "highly professional" approach adopted by Leeds during the inspection.
Set up by the Football Association, England 2018 is leading the country's bid to host the World Cup in nine years' time.
Its delegation's itinerary on September 7 included a visit to Roundhay Park, earmarked as a potential 'fan fest' site where live games could be shown on giant screens. The guests were also given a presentation at Leeds City Museum and treated to a festival of football display in Millennium Square.
Leeds's bid to join the World Cup party is being spearheaded by the city council, Marketing Leeds and Leeds United.
If the global soccer jamboree ends up coming to West Yorkshire, games would be played at United's Elland Road ground.
The Football Association is due to announce in December which cities will be included in England's formal 2018 bid.
Leeds is among more than a dozen places which have thrown their hats into the ring.
World soccer's governing body, Fifa, will reveal its chosen host country in late 2010.
To register your support for Leeds, visit the www.backthe bidleeds.com website.
Surely Leeds must have a strong chance of being one of a dozen potential host stadia when the decision is made to choose the stadia used in the 2018 World Cup bid.

·
6,909 Posts
I'm fairly confident Leeds will be chosen by the FA as one of the host cities, the bigger question is will England be chosen by FIFA to host the wold cup?

·
Village Idiot
226 Posts
I'm fairly confident Leeds will be chosen by the FA as one of the host cities, the bigger question is will England be chosen by FIFA to host the wold cup?
I'd love to share your enthusiasm Rob but I feel that Sheffield are making the right kind of noises and I understand that Sheff Utd are pushing to develop Bramall Lane with this in mind and could be a premiership outfit when the shake up comes.

Elland Rd isn't owed by LUFC, Mr Bates isn't popular, no premiership football, terrible transport links and the surroundng area isn't exactly inspiring (I mean the empty land not the estate).

I fear that despite the intent from LUFC and LCC the decision for this may come a few years too early for Leeds.

·
Silent but deadly
1,127 Posts
Both Leeds and Sheffield could be chosen. I don't think it's necessarily one or the other.

There are plans for the land around ER - a new ice rink plus, probably, a new police HQ on the old dog track site. Transport links within the city aren't good but transport links from other cities in the UK are good and this is more important. I agree though that old Birdseye's presence doesn't help.

It's a shame that Leeds does not have any visuals available of what a redeveloped Elland Road might look like, both the stadium and surrounding area. They've stated that the Kop and West Stand would be rebuilt but I'd have thought they would have wanted to present the FA with some renders to at least give a bit more of a feeling that it might become reality, even if they're only concepts at this stage.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A Leeds City Council document posted here said that they were looking at 12 venues, of which 2 or 3 would be in London, leaving 9 or 10 cities (not stadiums) which will be selected later this year

I'm pretty confident Leeds will get the nod. Some of the bids are no-hopers and with places like Leicester, Derby AND Nottingham bidding, you have to expect 1 or 2 of them to fall by the wayside, no offence to them cities

The ownership of the ground will probably be an issue - not that the club or council have said so - and one of the things the FA are looking for is the support of the local community which, knowing how apathetic people round here are, we might struggle to convince them of

Like Rob, I think the bigger question is whether or not England gets it

·
Village Idiot
226 Posts
A Leeds City Council document posted here said that they were looking at 12 venues, of which 2 or 3 would be in London, leaving 9 or 10 cities (not stadiums) which will be selected later this year

I'm pretty confident Leeds will get the nod. Some of the bids are no-hopers and with places like Leicester, Derby AND Nottingham bidding, you have to expect 1 or 2 of them to fall by the wayside, no offence to them cities

The ownership of the ground will probably be an issue - not that the club or council have said so - and one of the things the FA are looking for is the support of the local community which, knowing how apathetic people round here are, we might struggle to convince them of

Like Rob, I think the bigger question is whether or not England gets it
Of course. Fingers crossed. :cheers:

So, presuming that happens then the list appears to be:

Leeds
Sheffield
Hull

Nottingham
Derby
Leicester
Milton Keynes

Bristol
Plymouth
Portsmouth

Birmingham

London

Liverpool
Manchester

Sunderland
Newcastle

I've grouped them in rough regional areas and put (IMO) definates in bold. Do you agree or can Leeds count itself?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Somewhat amazingly, Liverpool might struggle to deliver a suitable stadium by 2018, but I can't see them missing out so I'd count them as a definite with Manchester, Newcastle and London. Barring a disaster, Villa should be OK. So that's 5 or 6 places left and I reckon you can bin Milton Keynes, Plymouth and Hull (my opinion, sorry)

Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Derby
Leicester
Bristol
Portsmouth
Sunderland

From that list you can lose at least one E Mids city, leaving 5 or 6 from 7.

-Sunderland already have the stadium, but it's the city bidding and two NE venues would leave the region over-represented.

-Bristol has a geographical advantage and I'm led to believe the new stadium's a goer, despite football not being massively popular down there.

-Pompey are in a bit of trouble and chances are they'll be relegated in 9 months time.

-Leeds are making big money again, have ambitious plans for the stadium and seem to be on the up, but don't own the ground.

There's a lot to consider but we're well placed in terms of the city and, given a decent team and a non-reptilian money-grabbing chairman, have shown we have the support to sustain a large ground. Ditto Sheff Weds. I'm pretty confident Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol will bag 3 of the 5 or 6 places left, but we'll see

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
I'd love to share your enthusiasm Rob but I feel that Sheffield are making the right kind of noises and I understand that Sheff Utd are pushing to develop Bramall Lane with this in mind and could be a premiership outfit when the shake up comes.

Elland Rd isn't owed by LUFC, Mr Bates isn't popular, no premiership football, terrible transport links and the surroundng area isn't exactly inspiring (I mean the empty land not the estate).

I fear that despite the intent from LUFC and LCC the decision for this may come a few years too early for Leeds.
What about the fact Elland Road lies right next door to the M621 motorway and in close proximity to the Wakefield Line for a potential railway station to serve the stadium and there have been plenty of stadia used in previous tournaments which have been used despite hosting a team (or in the case of USA 94 no "association" football whatsoever) which is not in the top flight?

As for Sheffield surely there is the issue that it still isn't clear which of Hillsborough or Brammall Lane will host games for 2018 or 2022 considering I surely can't see both being used.

Somewhat amazingly, Liverpool might struggle to deliver a suitable stadium by 2018, but I can't see them missing out so I'd count them as a definite with Manchester, Newcastle and London. Barring a disaster, Villa should be OK. So that's 5 or 6 places left and I reckon you can bin Milton Keynes, Plymouth and Hull (my opinion, sorry)

Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Derby
Leicester
Bristol
Portsmouth
Sunderland

From that list you can lose at least one E Mids city, leaving 5 or 6 from 7.

-Sunderland already have the stadium, but it's the city bidding and two NE venues would leave the region over-represented.

-Bristol has a geographical advantage and I'm led to believe the new stadium's a goer, despite football not being massively popular down there.

-Pompey are in a bit of trouble and chances are they'll be relegated in 9 months time.

-Leeds are making big money again, have ambitious plans for the stadium and seem to be on the up, but don't own the ground.

There's a lot to consider but we're well placed in terms of the city and, given a decent team and a non-reptilian money-grabbing chairman, have shown we have the support to sustain a large ground. Ditto Sheff Weds. I'm pretty confident Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol will bag 3 of the 5 or 6 places left, but we'll see
Isn't there strong rumours that Twickenham could be used (in addition to Wembley and the Emirates) considering it's 82,000 capacity, although surely I would personally not like to see a load of stadia in London at the expense of other parts of the country and would it be possible to see two stadia used in Manchester considering the expansion plans for both Old Trafford and the City of Manchester Stadium?

As for Liverpool would Anfield with it's 45,000 capacity could still be used, although I guess it's capacity would limit the ground to earlier stages of the tournament (unless the new Stanley Park and Kirkby stadia are both developed which I guess whichever stadia is larger by 2018 would be used for the tournament).

Still as I posted before back in May I personally think the following will be used (especially as it would focus on larger cities with a geographical spread with 2 in London, 3 in the North West, 2 in Yorkshire, 1 in the North East, 2 in the Midlands, 1 in the South West and 1 in the South).: http://66.249.128.91/showthread.php?t=504007&page=39

Birmingham: Expanded Villa Park
Bristol: New Bristol City Stadium
Leeds: Expanded Elland Road
Liverpool: New or expanded Anfield
London: Wembley
London: Emirates
Manchester: Expanded City of Manchester Stadium
Manchester (Salford / Trafford): Old Trafford (could OT host the opening game as opposed to Wembley considering the opening venues in the last two world cups were held in different cities to that in the final especially as it could see an expansion up to 96,000 seats?)
Newcastle: St James's Park
Nottingham: New or expanded City Ground
Portsmouth: New or expanded Fratton Park
Sheffield: Either an expanded Brammall Lane, expanded Hillsborough or perhaps the Don Valley or an all new stadium.
Is it definate that the limit for stadia to be used for the World Cup will be 12 with no chance of an increase to 14, 15 or 16?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As for Sheffield surely there is the issue that it still isn't clear which of Hillsborough or Brammall Lane will host games for 2018 or 2022 considering I surely can't see both being used.
It's just the cities being considered at the moment. Sheffield has actually put forward 3 stadiums, the other being the Don Valley

Isn't there strong rumours that Twickenham could be used (in addition to Wembley and the Emirates) considering it's 82,000 capacity, although surely I would personally not like to see a load of stadia in London at the expense of other parts of the country and would it be possible to see two stadia used in Manchester considering the expansion plans for both Old Trafford and the City of Manchester Stadium?
Tottenham and the Olympics stadium are in the London bid too. FIFA haven't yet allowed more than one city to have more than one venue at a World Cup, but I don't see why cities like Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield couldn't spread their allocated games across two or more venues, provided the tournament as a whole meets FIFA's geographic spread requirement

As for Liverpool would Anfield with it's 45,000 capacity could still be used, although I guess it's capacity would limit the ground to earlier stages of the tournament (unless the new Stanley Park and Kirkby stadia are both developed which I guess whichever stadia is larger by 2018 would be used for the tournament).
Anfield currently doesn't meet the minimum FIFA requirements. Liverpool will either need to bring Anfield up to scratch or build a new stadium if the city is to stage games. I guess the problem they might have is if the new stadium is still going ahead, but not ready by 2018 (or 2022), raising the funds to build a big cantilevered roof for Anfield, which will be demolished shortly after, might be tricky. But I can't see an England World Cup with its most famous footballing city not at the party

·
Village Idiot
226 Posts
What about the fact Elland Road lies right next door to the M621 motorway and in close proximity to the Wakefield Line for a potential railway station to serve the stadium and there have been plenty of stadia used in previous tournaments which have been used despite hosting a team (or in the case of USA 94 no "association" football whatsoever) which is not in the top flight?
So in order for Leeds to be able to support a sucessful bid then LCC would have to buy ER back, somehow fund huge improvements to the stadium, buy land nearby and at least partly fund the rail improvements required to build a station and the link to it and thats just for starters.

One hell of a project. :nuts:

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see it, but it sounds like a complete fantasy to me.

Or am I wrong? Would the Tory goverment fund it? Would private industry see a financial gain and speculate millions on it? Will LUFC move into such a strong financial position they could buy ER themselves?

Is suppose the fact the Bates has managed to strong arm LCC into buying Thorp Arch is a sign of intent and I expect him to pull a similar trick with the stadium soon.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So in order for Leeds to be able to support a sucessful bid then LCC would have to buy ER back, somehow fund huge improvements to the stadium, buy land nearby and at least partly fund the rail improvements required to build a station and the link to it and thats just for starters.
Well first up there's no need for a rail link

Secondly, there's no need for either the council or club to buy back the stadium. We're not talking about a petty landlord who keeps your bond if you add a lick of paint to your room. Something could be negotiated with the owner, it's not like he doesn't want us ruining the property and putting off future tenants!

The council could borrow against future rent and buy it. Or the club could borrow, on sensible terms this time, and buy it itself

Thirdly, the improvements needed will be supported by central grants and borrowings against a potential quarter-of-a-million ticket sales. Then there's the fact that an improved stadium makes the club worth a lot more, so the club invests its own cash, which it's making a lot of recently

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see it, but it sounds like a complete fantasy to me.
More so than the competing bidders? The Sheffield clubs will need to find the cash too. Bristol, Portsmouth and Nottingham need brand new grounds. Derby and Leicester are way off yet and Sunderland? Well, it's Sunderland! Is Milton Keynes more likely to build a 50k stadium, or the city who has the 5th best supported club of the modern era and who, but for gross mismanagement, would already be playing in a suitable stadium?

Every WC sees massive improvements to the nation's stadiums. An England bid will have to follow suit or we're simply not capable of hosting it, not by a long, long way

The fact that the club and council are right behind the bid should indicate that they're aware of any reservations you have and be confident of delivering a city capable of hosting WC games

Come on, what's up with you, lad. Back the bid!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts