Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been accepted into a university in Leeuwarden. I have a few questions about life there and in general in The Netherlands.

First off, I'm from Ireland so will have to move there. I've been looking at accommodation and have found a couple of places. One place I found was an apartment in a neighbourhood called Schieringen. The apartment looks nice and the description of the area says it's a friendly student area. However, they're hardly going to tell you if there is anything wrong with the area. I looked the area up on Google and everything I found was in Dutch. What I could translate said it was a rundown area with antisocial behaviour. Anyone know anything about the area? Is it a nice place to live, for an international student?

Second, what's the social life like in Leeuwarden? Things like pubs and clubs and student life in general. Is it a friendly town with vibrant nightlife, nice people, fun women etc...

I've searched these things up online and they've said that it is a friendly safe town but that being said, they're not going to tell me to stay away as it's an awful dangerous place, are they? Basically, I'm looking for advise and information from anyone living or who have been to Leeuwarden. Any students?

Any information would be brilliant and much appreciated.

:)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hey Johnmillwall,

Congratulations with your admission. Which university is it if I may ask? Stenden, NHL or Van Hall? I studied in Leeuwarden as well, at NHL, but graduated a few months ago.

Heegterp/Schieringen is known as one of the worst neighborhoods in the city and also among the worst in the country. I would suggest to not go there if you find other options. That's my opinion, but I know that most of my friends would say the same.

As for what I know, most international students live in the city center area or near. Bilgaard is also an area with many students. It's not one of the nicest areas to live, but still good enough. I'm not sure if many international students live there. I saw a lot of Asian people on their way to that neighborhood everyday. It's on the other side of the road (next to NHL/Stenden).

Leeuwarden in general is not a big student city in Holland, but still there are a lot of students and activities for students as well. Join ESN (if possible) or another international group. Club Red seems to be the place to be for international students lately. I also recommend Fire and the Doelesteeg (which is a narrow street).

There are many pubs/clubs/restaurants in central town and the people are really friendly in general. Frisians people might seem a bit detached at first, but once you get to know them, they are more open. Not everyone speaks English very well, but most people know the basics.

The Weaze is the red light district. This is a more dangerous part in central city at night. I never had a bad experience in Leeuwarden in my whole life (23 years now).

Leeuwarden has thousands of international students. Most of them are from Germany (more than 1000) and China. I'm sure you will find international and Dutch friends here. Stenden is, by far, the most international university. It has thousands of international students.

Tip: And get a bike as soon as possible! Leeuwarden really is a bike city. It's the easiest way to get around the city and cheap.

Don't forget to visit other areas in the province and country. In Friesland there are many nice, smaller and old cities (Dokkum, Sneek, Harlingen). Every region has different nature and the Waddeneilanden are very popular tourist destinations. It's beautiful out there. This region is also known for ice skating in winter. Maybe you have heard of Heerenveen? It has a great hall for ice skating. Leeuwarden has one too with student discounts. Groningen is another big city in the northern part of the country, which is 45 minutes from Leeuwarden by train. It's one of the bigger student cities in the country and a great city too.

Enjoy your time here. Feel free to ask questions!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to Leeuwarden! SimsPlanet2 has already told a lot.

And don't forget to visit a match of Cambuur, the local professional footballteam. They're playing in the Dutch Premier League and normally there's a good atmosphere. They sell out fast these days, but if you don't get a ticket please contact me!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the help guys. I'm travelling from Ireland to Leeuwarden.

I got a place in that area Schieringen/Heegterp. Judging from what you are telling me it sounds bad. Is it really that bad? I don't know what to do now:lol:

In regard to student life, is it good? Would being Irish give me an advantage in this field;) Of course college is a big deal and things like partying and women are on every guys mind. Is there much of that in Leeuwarden?

The university itself looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to going there but what you guys are saying about the area I'll be living in is making me think now.

·
Gouda's Glorie
7,886 Posts
If you can still get a place somewhere else, try that, but it isn't that bad; no area in the Netherlands is really bad.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can still get a place somewhere else, try that, but it isn't that bad; no area in the Netherlands is really bad.
I've already paid for it though. It's not that bad? I won't be killed or mugged will I?:lol:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've already paid for it though. It's not that bad? I won't be killed or mugged will I?:lol:
Leeuwarden is generally a peaceful place, so if you don't offend drug dealers you will be alright.
And like they say, it isn't known for it's students, so if you are disappointed take the train to Groningen. It's about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leeuwarden is generally a peaceful place, so if you don't offend drug dealers you will be alright.
And like they say, it isn't known for it's students, so if you are disappointed take the train to Groningen. It's about 40 minutes.
As long as it's safe and I'll be safe living there. That's what matters. I'm looking forward to going. Seems a beautiful town with a lot to do. Hoping to make the next four years the best of my life.

:)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It's not known for students maybe, but that doesn't mean that Leeuwarden doesn't have anything to offer.

Leeuwarden has 23.000 students (which is medium-size for a student city in Holland I think). There are many activities for students in the city and you will find students everywhere. Groningen is bigger and has more students, but Leeuwarden is a great city as well. Especially if you stay here for a shorter period, there is nothing to worry about.

And the region around the city is great as well. Friesland is a typical tourist province and it's, in my opinion, the most beautiful province in the country.

Also check these videos:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts