Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Egypt:

Sunday through Thursday.

From wikipedia:

In Muslim-majority countries, Friday is a day of prayer, so working week may adjust to allow people time to attend prayer. The legal work week in the Middle East is typically either Saturday through Wednesday (Saudi Arabia), Saturday through Thursday (as in Iran) or Sunday through Thursday as in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, and Syria. A working week of Sunday through Thursday, with Friday and Saturday as the weekend, is becoming more common, with Qatar shifting to this model in 2003, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates in 2006, Kuwait in 2007, and Oman in 2008. In 2009, formal proposals are also being discussed in Yemen and Saudia Arabia to shift to a Saturday to Thursday work week. This trend is to allow for respect of Fridays as a Sabbath in Muslim countries while also having more working days to overlap with international financial markets.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pffffff that's a highly personalized question in Lebanon's case, I'll try to answer my best:

- For the most part, Monday - Friday, with some businesses doing half days on fridays.
- Muslim schools: Monday - thursday, friday off, saturday school and sunday off, Ramadan off.
- Christian schools: Monday - Friday, Christmas off for 2 weeks. My old catholic school used to give us thursday afternoon off/study hall so the christian kids could go to church.
- Government/non-denominational schools: mix of all calendars, although usually ramadan isn't off.

All in all, we get A LOT of days off!

·
21,422 Posts
In Turkey for government institutions and private institutions like banks it's Monday to Friday, with caturday and funday off.

For most private institutions its Monday to Saturday, they have to work on caturday :(

For most shops its the whole week through with no weekend, the poor sods...

·
Banned
116 Posts
In Turkey for government institutions and private institutions like banks it's Monday to Friday, with caturday and funday off.

For most private institutions its Monday to Saturday, they have to work on caturday :(

For most shops its the whole week through with no weekend, the poor sods...
It's not common for people to take Friday's off? Turkey (well Istanbul) struck me as a fairly conservative place when I visited, so it would seem surprising if a lot of people didn't take Fridays off.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's not common for people to take Friday's off? Turkey (well Istanbul) struck me as a fairly conservative place when I visited, so it would seem surprising if a lot of people didn't take Fridays off.
Maybe they just close midday ... I got a different vibe of istanbul when I went, but maybe I was in a different area.

·
Banned
9,805 Posts
How did you gain this feeling in Istanbul, I just wonder. The city is conservative as well but conservatism is just one of its many faces and is actually not the outstanding face. Friday is just a normal day, only small shopkeepers such as newspaper kiosks might close their shops if at all. If I imagine that Turkish Airlines wouldn't fly on fridays such as El Al on shabbat, well that would be conservative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts