Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117825 Posts

·
zerocool
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Legazpi City---

Legazpi, usually misspelled Legaspi, is a city in the Philippines and the capital of the province of Albay. The city is also the regional center of the Bicol Region. It is sometimes given the monicker Queen City of Southern Luzon. It is a top tourist destination in Bicol as it lies 15 kilometers southeast of Mayon Volcano, the Philippines' most famous volcano. Legazpi was named after Miguel L pez de Legaspi, the Spanish explorer who came to the Philippine islands in the mid 1500s.

REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES

City of Legazpi
Region: Bicol Region (Region V)
Province: Albay
Population:2000 census—157,010.
Density—769 per km².
Area: 204.20 km²
Barangays: 70
Congressional district: 2nd district of Albay
Class: 1st class; partially urban

Positioned in the geographical center of the peninsula and the two island provinces of Catanduanes and Masbate, it has the strategic advantages of a commercial, institutional, and transportation hub. Legazpi is the southernmost terminus of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) Main Line South. It also has a national port handling export (cement, abaca or Manila helm, and before the operation of Legaspi Oil Company in Barangay Arimbay in early 1960's and Cosay Oil Mill in early 1990's, copra and coconut products). Legazpi Airport, with a runway of 2,280 meters (longer than Bacolod's and Iloilo's), is the region's gateway and trunkline airport. Philippine Airlines has a daily flight to/from Manila using Boeing 737-300s (higher capacity 737-400s are used during peak seasons). SEAir flies from/to Cebu Mondays and Fridays. Alternate sites for relocation of the airport and upgrading into international are Bariis (farther from ashfall) and Alobo (15 kilometers from Mayon's crater). Visit

As a commercial hub, Legazpi is home to malls: the largest mall in Bicolandia is Pacific Mall/Gaisano Metro Legazpi Department Store and Supermarket, serving as the centerpiece of Landco Business Park. Prior to the opening of Landco Business Park, homegrown Liberty Commercial Center (LCC) Legazpi was the region's largest retailer. It has expanded to Naga City (LCC Central Mall). A. Bichara Silverscreen and Entertainment Center is a multi-story haven of shops, bistros, and cinemas. The seat of city and provincial offices and lately blooming into a new downtown, Albay District (also Old Albay or simply Albay as the district was the capital town of the Province before merging with Legazpi) has bistros that remain open till late at night; some shops and restos are open 24/7. Legazpi has three Jollibee stores: two in Port District (LCC and Pacific Mall), and one drive-thru in Albay, beside Mercury Drug/GTS and in front of Quick and Hearty.

A magnet of students, the city hosts two universities: Catholic-run Aquinas University (AUL), and state-run Bicol University (BU), one of the country's biggest. Manila-based educational/training centers have put up shop: AMA Computer University is currently constructing its building along busy Rizal Street, and STI College is a stone-throw away. The first school of medicine in Bicolandia is AMEC-BCCM in Albay District. Singapore-based Informatics is soon opening a branch, the second in Bicol (the first is in Tabaco City). Innodata, a New York-based company, tapped this city's young and dynamic population, putting up a data conversion center operating in three shifts; see http://www.philippinebusiness.com.ph/geographics/legazpicity.htm.

As a financial center, Legazpi City has more than 20 ATM's for 24-hour banking convenience. Its revenue collection for CY 2001 is Php862.97M versus Naga's Php437.66M, and for CY2002, Legazpi collected Php1,016.84M versus Naga's Php453.07M; figures (revenue collection) downloaded from http://www.bir.gov.ph/revcol2001.html and http://www.bir.gov.ph/revcol2002.html The City's hardworking mayor Noel E. Rosal is into widening main thoroughfares, building seawall/promenade, and expanding the seaport.

Legazpi City has two air-conditioned arenas: Albay Astrodome in Albay District and Ibalong Centrum for Recreation (ICR) near Landco Business Park, which for a number of times served as venues of Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) games when teams like Ginebra, Shell, San Miguel, Pop Cola, among others visit Bicol. During the past few years, only Legazpi could host PBA games because other cities in the region do not have air conditioned arenas. The long gown competition of the Miss Asia-Pacific, an international beauty contest, was held in the ICR in 2001. AUL has a brandnew gym (AQ Dome) with PBA/NBA sized courts and ring/boards. It only needs air conditioning and it could host regional and national games, amateur and professional; ditto Divine Word College gym. The city's hotels and convention halls regularly host regional and national conventions and seminars; In 2002, Albay Astrodome even hosted an international convention of the Free Masons; in November 27, 2003, about 4,000 members of the Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA) attended its 57th annual national convention.

Begun in early 90's and held every October to coincide with Legazpi Port District fiesta, the Ibalong Festival is the grandmother of all festivals in Bicol. Other provinces followed suit: Voyadores and Kaogma in Camarines Sur, Kasanggayahan in Sorsogon, and Katandungan in Catanduanes. Legazpi is also home to Albay's Magayon Festival held the whole month of May. Other parts of Albay now have their own: Tabak in Tabaco City, Oyanggi in Polangui, and Daragang Magayon in Daraga (a first class municipality which is contiguous to Legazpi).

This is my Home town--- Im very proud of my City coz despite Bicol region is regarded as one of the poorest region in the country, Legazpi City has been defying all the odds to lately it has placed 4th in the rankings of industrializing small cities in the country.

I'll be posting pics soon as i can...

Thanx for viewing...

·
zerocool
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tyronne said:
thanks for the wonderful photos :eek:kay:

I was just watching a couple of nights ago in Discovery Channel where they featured Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius' eruption in 79 AD. Legazpi is so near Mayon, it makes me scared to live near an active volcano :uh:
Thats a very common presumption of people... :)

Theoretically...it is safer to live near active volcanoes coz, it lets out the energy build-up every now and then. Like in the case of mayon is an average of 6-8 years it will erupt...but recently it has been erupting yearly from 2001-2004 with very minimal energy being released. Its more dangerous to live near a dormant or not so active volcanoes coz they could build-up energy to cataclysmic levels coz they dont release it so often. This is exactly what happened to mt. pinatubo, it had built-up its energy for 600years eventually bursting into catacliysmic levels...taal is also abit dangerous so to speak...its very seldom that it erupts if im not wrong. Moreover legazpi city is way-over the Mayon volcano danger zone radius w/c is 6-8Km from the crater, Legazpi city urban area is around 15 km away. Last time it was affected was 1968 eruption but it was only minor ashfall because there was a sudden shift in wind direction. Wind direction in Albay is usually east-west or west-east. Legazpi is south of mayon :). Its actually an expectacle to watch when its erupting....beautiful :righton: but of course to expense of the eastern & western towns next to mayon...but pyroclastic materials and lava flow are limited to its slopes only...

I would like to invite you all to visit bicol 1 day, and see how our natural wonders there....Sad to say not much is being done by our government to promote the rest of the country.... :(

·
Here Since 2002
7,257 Posts
Man, :applause: Legazpi city is really pictureseque especially with Mayon in the background. hmm... if Southrail literally gets back on its track Legazpi's pacific ocean port would really compliment Manila and the rest of Luzon. Welcome to SSC olineil

·
Proud to be Filipino
4,832 Posts
yeah... Mayon is very picturesque... and very eye-catching.. I remember a year ago when we had our Bicol Tour that we had a joy ride around the Mayon....so I have seen all the 360degrees of Mayon.....

yeah I hope tha Mayon would be promoted more by the government coz for me its more beautiful than Mt. Fuji.... its a bit neglected.... :D

anyways... Taal is one of our strongest active volcanoes if i'm not mistaken... it may be small... but when it erupts... its very dangerous......

·
zerocool
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all...im happy u guys appreciate the photos...

heres an update:

Mayon is not the only beauty in Legazpi...even our women...hehehe as seen here in our Ibalong Festival

one of the stronger eruptions of Mayon: But still Legazpi City is very safe then

Another Photo of Albay Cathedral (This is where the Pope had a Mass last 1981 if Im not wrong)

Aerial View of the city & Mayon

·
zerocool
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
renell said:
how about pictures of the city itself? I'm interested whether it has very 70-80's look or has it retained its old colonial look
Unfortunately I havn't been home for quite awhile and I dont have updated pics of the city center. Last time I went home about 2 years ago...there was quite alot of developments...the old city center which is the port district is a combination of old and new building...much like those typical philippine city with buildings side-by-side with each other...but much of the newer areas are fast modernizing... The city is also quite clean....id say about a shower or two short of singapore cleanliness....so to speak... ive been browsing the net for nice take of the city center but most I can find are old ones.... i'll see what I can find....

·
Federer Express!!!
716 Posts
Mayon Volcano is really beautiful... :bow:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Wow—olineil—thanks for posting the super-cool pics that are SO nostalgic to me, since I haven’t been back to my lolo’s hometown since graduating high school way back, back then (before 1980s!). The closest I’ve gotten to “being there” in recent times was watching the DVD “Kailangan Kita” where Aga Muhlach falls for probinsiyana Claudine Barretto—napaka-homesick na!
Your update on our beloved <Ibalon> not only brought back fond memories, but also rekindled pride in my Bikol roots. Mahalo nui loa from Honolulu!

·
Life is Here!
1,343 Posts
WOWOWEE!!! GREAT PICS.... :eek2: Im impressed...

·
Life is Here!
1,343 Posts
olineil post mo yong 1st pic mo sa world forum citytalk under city wity with great mountain backdrop... :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

·
zerocool
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hawayano said:
Wow—olineil—thanks for posting the super-cool pics that are SO nostalgic to me, since I haven’t been back to my lolo’s hometown since graduating high school way back, back then (before 1980s!). The closest I’ve gotten to “being there” in recent times was watching the DVD “Kailangan Kita” where Aga Muhlach falls for probinsiyana Claudine Barretto—napaka-homesick na!
Your update on our beloved <Ibalon> not only brought back fond memories, but also rekindled pride in my Bikol roots. Mahalo nui loa from Honolulu!
Hello Hawayano....So ur bicolano....where from? Are you from Albay itself or other provinces? If Albay...which city or town? Nice to know there are other bicolano posters here....
:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: (I miss bicol express & laing)

·
I got my eye on you.
24,697 Posts
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

How did you get up close to take photos like that?

1 - 20 of 117825 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.