SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The one saving grace of this type of stadium is that it tends to be built in barren areas where future expansion is easily possible and maybe through those expansions they gain a bit of character. As it stands at the moment though The Walkers Stadium is about as uninspiring, dull and cheap looking as stadiums get.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
i think if a lot of stadiums look like this one is because they keep the expandable option. And this architecture suits very well to expand" for few pounds"

·
10,528 Posts
Ugly souless stadium.
Yup, couldn't agree more.
All right, I'll bite. What could they have done that would be better while still maintaining a) budget, b) maximized seating capacity and c) quality of views?

The reason so many of these exists (throughout the globe, now) is because the form is elemental for this particular function. Most of the characteristics we ascribe to places as more exciting, orginal, or having souls have done so from either major expense or achieved such over time and evolution. "Not every church can be a cathedral" and all that.

I agree these are typically bland, but I can't go so far as to say ugly or soulless. Not me, anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I think theres huuuge difference between Walkers and Riverside and the others. I wont call them Identikit at all.

Middlesbrough looks dull while Leicester looks fresh.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Personally I think theres huuuge difference between Walkers and Riverside and the others. I wont call them Identikit at all.
It is exactly the same at Southampton's St Marys Stadium, so it's hardly unique.

It does look better in the flesh than in the photos here, but there's no escaping the fact that a single tier of seats all round, same height all round, same design exactly all round, is pretty dull.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think the key redeeming factor of this stadium, is that it's located so close to the original stadium and won't disrupt the fans matchday schedule. Having the new build remain so close to the previous stadium allows fans to carry on their traditional pre-match routines, visiting the same pubs etc etc, rather than having to ferry all the fans out to an out of town locale.

·
18,577 Posts
Looking good for promotion. Can't see a great deal happening with the stadium unless they can stick around in the Premier League for a number of seasons, however, it was mentioned in the past that the stadium could be expanded up to 42,000. Would be nice if there was eventually enough demand to warrant an expansion, though.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yep, it is fine. People consider that a stadium should be innovative and iconic, but for most clubs, that's only an extra. Desirable, but not mandatory. It is hard enough to get the funding for a new stadium which guarantees nice views and accomodation. I think Leicester did well, having in mind their size. It's pretty standard, yes, but it seems to me that they took care of little details such as the mural hanging from the roof. The seating looks good in blue, with the Walkers logo, and the glass facade is elegant. In the overall, I think it is better than other "identikits".

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Its a crap ground very similar to so many in this country but out of all of this generation its probably the best due to its location. The funny thing about these stadiums is that i don't think there is another country in the world where so many dull, uninspiring functional, budget stadiums have been built.. Look at France, Poland, Germany, Holland etc all seem to have built or are building iconic or if not iconic at least interesting new stands/stadiums (using quality materials, finishes). Now i know the football league structure is different in this country but we have big crowds and supposedly a lot of money in the game, the lack of vision in our stadium design is unbelievable. Having said that even though there is more money in the game than there ever has been most clubs are on the verge of financial oblivion so building anything more than functional grounds is probably not high priority..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Its a crap ground very similar to so many in this country but out of all of this generation its probably the best due to its location. The funny thing about these stadiums is that i don't think there is another country in the world where so many dull, uninspiring functional, budget stadiums have been built.. Look at France, Poland, Germany, Holland etc all seem to have built or are building iconic or if not iconic at least interesting new stands/stadiums (using quality materials, finishes). Now i know the football league structure is different in this country but we have big crowds and supposedly a lot of money in the game, the lack of vision in our stadium design is unbelievable. Having said that even though there is more money in the game than there ever has been most clubs are on the verge of financial oblivion so building anything more than functional grounds is probably not high priority..

Most football stadiums in the English leagues are privately owned and the majority of the stadiums you speak of have been privately funded.

Many a European stadiums are publicly funded.

This has been said before so nothing new.

A generalisation of course, but in countries such as France the majority of grounds are state funded.

Reactions: alexandru.mircea

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Most football stadiums in the English leagues are privately owned and the majority of the stadiums you speak of have been privately funded.

Many a European stadiums are publicly funded.

This has been said before so nothing new.

A generalisation of course, but in countries such as France the majority of grounds are state funded.
In the case of France, it has a lot to do with Euro 2016, just the same as Poland in 2008. Many venues were renovated, and new stadiums were built. Anyway, I don't think there's a lack of nice stadiums in England compared to other countries. In Italy, for example, there's a lot of bowl-with-atlhetics "identikit", and if you look at France or Spain, there are also dull stadiums such as Levante's, Lorient's or Sochaux's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its a crap ground very similar to so many in this country... I don't think there is another country in the world where so many dull, uninspiring functional, budget stadiums have been built.. Look at France, Poland, Germany, Holland etc all seem to have built or are building iconic or if not iconic at least interesting new stands/stadiums (using quality materials, finishes)...
I agree, however would those countries have such a high quality stadium for a club of such low stature like Leicester? Most of these foreign teams we see are their prime clubs, not the Doncaster, Derby or Middlesbrough's...

It's a shame that like the current naff architecture in England, stadiums too are being built in such an ugly manner in the retail park style...

However, look at Brighton's new ground, that does indeed prove that medium sized clubs can build high quality stadiums, in England.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts