Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A rather blocky mid-sized building proposed for a site between the recently developed ‘Crecy Court’ and Thrifty Car Rental on Lee Circle.

Proposed 143 Flats.

Applicant: City Developments Ltd.

Architects: RG+P Ltd

Planning Application: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20180097

Site at present:

Image from Google Streetview.

Proposed elevations:

Image from planning application documents from link above.

·
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME
761 Posts
why would you replace the estate of st mathews with an estate similar to st mathews? just keep st mathews

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
98 Posts
New updated render from November 2019:

Image from the planning application: https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Planning/Display/20180097

Another small to mid height proposal. Why aren’t we getting anything taller?
Either the planning commission has been advising against it, which i doubt, or developers/architects are waiting for someone else to do a large scheme first to see it's viability?

I feel like the Internation hotel demolition and 21 storey build should've been approved but pushed to just make the rooms bigger than they were, probably could've boosted the area and started realising potential of tall builds in Leicester.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Either the planning commission has been advising against it, which i doubt, or developers/architects are waiting for someone else to do a large scheme first to see it's viability?

I feel like the Internation hotel demolition and 21 storey build should've been approved but pushed to just make the rooms bigger than they were, probably could've boosted the area and started realising potential of tall builds in Leicester.
Yes fewer but larger rooms would have been better for the old hotel site. Maddening!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes few but larger rooms would have been better for the old hotel
site. Maddening!
Could still be possible, because of the lack of planning applications, they may begin work and then put the application in to get approval quicker?

maybe not on the same scale but the lack of any news online makes it strange, also it was set to be approved until the room size was found to be a problem. Can demolition occur without planning and with scaffolding up?

Guess time will tell. Hopefully a tall will spring up somewhere soon.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could still be possible, because of the lack of planning applications, they may begin work and then put the application in to get approval quicker?

maybe not on the same scale but the lack of any news online makes it strange, also it was set to be approved until the room size was found to be a problem. Can demolition occur without planning and with scaffolding up?

Guess time will tell. Hopefully a tall will spring up somewhere soon.
Isn’t that area one of the few where taller builds are acceptable or did I imagine that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Isn’t that area one of the few where taller builds are acceptable or did I imagine that?
I'd imagine so, I do remember reading that the height for the 21 storey proposal wasn't the issue because of the cardinal exchange and the other proposed 11 storey tower next to phoenix and Lidl.

I think there has been a lot of background work done by the council to get the Former International hotel site repurposed. Just no recent approved planning applications for it.

As for Lee Circle, if only the car park was demolished in favour of a Hotel/Leisure/Commercial centre as a tower. We can only see what this year brings for new applications.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts