Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know what will be happening to the old leicester international hotel on Humberstone Gate? I live opposite and am hearing differing views with some saying it will be knocked down in 2012 and others saying it will be redeveloped???

I would love to know! :banana:

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Welcome to the forum koal4e. :)

The last definite thing I know (which has been mentioned before on this forum) was that back in 1998 permission was given to flatten the building and replace it with a new hotel. After that I personally don't know of anything new.

Whatever happens, that side of town needs a quality development to match Highcross, I'd love to see a high-end retail destination there, something like Birmingham's Mailbox development.

I really hope it's knocked down though.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
I remember about 2 years ago that some of the crumbling concrete panels were replaced. I thought this was the start of redevelopment. (but maybe it was enforced safety work to protect the public below)

I like the potential that the building could have. The whole building is rather interesting with the 70's tower (which complements Cardinal House) and the old shoe factory complex which closed when they moved to the now closed British Shoe at Braunstone.

A new mulit storey car park in the area would make the property and the surrounding area more attractive to developers.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
i always said that this would have been the perfect site to have built the new theatre...

imagine how great a building it could have been with access on at least three sides, a plaza in front.

could have easily been 1000 seats, rather than shoe horning into the most impractical site imaginable.

well, leicester still really needs a proper concert hall...

ha, who am i trying to kid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the St Georges Mill apartment block across the world from the old Leicester International Hoteland when looking at it from my apartment it looks dilapidated and run down. This said it is a wonderful building and I hope a good use is found for it.

I dont think a shopping centre will work, alot of retails units in Gallowtree gate are standing empty since the Highcross was developed so I think there is already too many retail units in the city. I think it should either become an exhibition centre for expos etc...I honestly think it would do well if converted and marketed correctly.

I was told by someone else who lives in my apartment block that the developer who did our apartments told them that it would be taken down by the end of 2012 as the building is becoming unstable because the concrete supports are breaking down from the inside....whether this is true I dont know.

I love the cultural quarter where I live but I feel there is a big problem as while we have the Athena, Curve and Phoenix there are too many old empty buildings just rotting away, these buildings also make people feel enclosed as the roads are small and the buildings imposing...the whole area needs developing and this doesnt mean more apartments!

Does anyone have a list of developments currently underway in the Cultural quarter?

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
The one definite one which was approved back in 2007 is the Spa Building scheme (Queen Street). This is/was meant to been a new build mixed use residential and retail scheme.

It's been such a long time that I can't even remember if there was a thread for it. :nuts:

Nothing seems to have happened as yet, though time to extend the implementation of the scheme was granted earlier this year.

See the following list of applications for the site:
http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/plann...ateDecfrm=&DateDecTo=&Proposal=&DecisionType=

There is also meant to be an extension to the Queen Street apartments on the car park on the corner of Queen Street and St George's Street (in front of the Mercury HQ):

Again approval was given back in 2008: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20071525

The notorious snooker club and 'night-time' entertainment building (nice building opposite the Curve) was also meant have been converted into a hotel, but because of some fall-out this has not come to fruition, as yet.

The architect's website shows a little about the scheme (see the bottom of the page): http://www.tdrarchitects.co.uk/commercial-architects-leicester.htm

A building near the LCB Depot is to be converted into offices: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20101785

I'm sure there are many more which I have missed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!

Dont know what its being used for but there has been a hive of activity at the Leicester International Hotel the past two weeks.

Two weeks ago men in suits were walking around inspecting the building then a man came with one of those tripod things they used for measurements and things.

This week all week there has been a small group of men moving everything out of the building, cleaning windows and such like....

I wonder whats going on and what it will be!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Update!

Dont know what its being used for but there has been a hive of activity at the Leicester International Hotel the past two weeks.

Two weeks ago men in suits were walking around inspecting the building then a man came with one of those tripod things they used for measurements and things.

This week all week there has been a small group of men moving everything out of the building, cleaning windows and such like....

I wonder whats going on and what it will be!
koal4e - have a look at this:
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/45880-landmark-14m-development-planned-leicester/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How big is the site, exactly?

They seem to be planning on cramming a lot into it.
Its actually VERY big. At its tallest I think its 11 storeys high with the lower parts being around 9 or ten. The length of the building is a good 50 to 80 metres and it runs sits between Wimbledon Street and Rutland Street on Humberstone Road.

I would say its definately big enough for everything except the idea of a bowling alley...unless the bowling alley took one floor alone.

I live in the St Georges Mill apartments opposite and our building houses 40 big apartments and two retail spaces and is only a small size compared to this building.

·
Penguin fancier
4,078 Posts
I can't help noticing that neither of the retail spaces has been taken yet. Any word on that?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't help noticing that neither of the retail spaces has been taken yet. Any word on that?
Ive wondered myself...

I live in the penthouse apartments on the 4th floor (with 5th floor bedrooms) that were only added to the block in 2009 but the retail spaces were added much earlier. Saying this neither of the retail spaces has ever been completed, if you look inside they only have a leopard print chair, an old shopping trolley, some rubbish and tools in there...

I always thought the larger one facing Humberstone road would actually make a great restaurant which it is licenced for....even contemplated doing it myself as a Bulgarian restaurant, but the wife put me off lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Planning application is now lodged, though no documents as yet:
http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20110540
Thanks for the info, since they are waiting for the planning app. there is no work taking place although 24 hr security has suddenly appeared!

Mr Leicity, I also need to thank you as you have given me the kick up the proverbial to actually act and I have now started a blog on Leicester's regeneration and development.

I am keeping tabs on this one like your good self and will certainly deliver more info should I find out.

1 - 20 of 351 Posts