Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Penguin fancier
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, to start with, who would you say has done the best job of leading this city in the past 20 years?

Sir Peter Soulsby (1995 - 99, 2011 - present)
Ross Wilmott (1999 - 2003, 2004 - 05 and 2007 - 10)
Roger Blackmore (2003 - 04, 2005 - 07)
Vijay Patel (2010 - 11)

·
LCC what is it good for?
225 Posts
So, to start with, who would you say has done the best job of leading this city in the past 20 years?

Vijay Patel (2010 - 11)
Peter Soulsby in my opinion. Whilst Ross Wilmott oversaw Highcross and Curve, which are brilliant don't get me wrong, I think alot more could have been done during his time in office. The Science Park stood still for a decade and Historical Leicester pretty much fell to pieces under him. Soulsby has fast tracked alot of projects under financial difficulty that needed to happen, like the Market and the Haymarket Bus station. Under him Leicester is finally making more of its heritage which was always needed.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

Vijay Patel (2010 - 11)
Sir Peter Soulsby by a long way. He is pushing the change that has been needed for a while.

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with those who would say Sir Peter. He's by no means faultless, but has showed on many occasions that he shares many of our hopes and opinions here at SSC and that can't be a bad thing :D

When his time in office comes to an end he will at least have left Leicester a better City.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Sir Peter definitely has helped the city. However I'm not sure about the all the pedestrianisation schemes, though around the Old Town it looks so much better. I hope he has plans for replacing the broken slabs near the Clock Tower, as they look very bad.

·
10,831 Posts
So Willmott is guilty then!

In fact a poster on another thread said that Victoria Hall was refused by planners and Willmott stepped in to push it through.

Page 7 on the above link, shows that Willmott challenged the original refusal.

His written objection to refusal, is on page 23.

GUILTY!!!

·
10,831 Posts
Perhaps a few of the students have a drink or bite to eat in town? But that isn't regeneration really is it.

All Victoria Hall has offered is an out of character, cheaply built, ugly building - right in the middle of Leicester's historic core. With an unused ground floor and it also blocks views between the two parts of the Old Town.

It is as bad, if not worse than the Holiday inn. At least the hotel brings in business income to the city centre and is a recognised brand.

Leicester learned ziltch from the 1960s and 1970s and Willmott is to blame. SPS must carry the can if the other Southgates fiasco gets the thumbs up.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,567 Posts
Regeneration is meant to mean something which enhances an area for the local community. Most students will not become permanent city residents. Student accommodation has never and will never enhance anything for the city as a whole, though it could look ok, its impact will hardly be felt by your average Leicesterian. Again it comes back to building schemes which are both visually attractive and beneficial to city residents/visitors like better leisure facilities, etc.

I hope SPS gets the New Walk Centre scheme right or else it will not do his ratings any good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts