Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tidying out my garage and came across an old Mercury from 30 years ago.

I thought the following might be of interest regarding the night life at the time. (Disco and flares were still hanging on !)

Theatre

City Centre Cinema

Mark76 might like the above :lol:

Loughborough Cinema

Suburban Cinemas and Nightlife

Bye the way the Mercury cost 7p !

·
New Nottingham!
11,902 Posts
This thread could be used to post old photographs of Leicester's streets and buildings. It'll be kind of depressing as you'll be able to see what archtectural gems were lost during the war and during the 60's and 70's but it would be interesting to see the comparison I think. Just a thought.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great minds think alike !

I started work on a project years ago, my interest was the 60's/70's tall buildings. As i researched the said buildings i became interested in what was there before work on the "new" buildings started.

I will have to have a ferret through my old folders and see what i can find.

The obvious one that is the well documented is Wyvern House that stood where Elizabeth House now stands. And yes allthough i like my tall buildings i have to say that Wyvern House was a wonderful building a tragedy that it was demolished.

Very mixed feelings though as i lived in Elizabeth House for 3 years great views out your window and a train station on your doorstep.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I spent a fair amount of the weekend in Leicester, wandering around the city centre then cycling around the old factories and terraced houses in the inner city. It's amazing how many are left, though unfortunate that some factories seemed to have been part demolished then abandoned, many more derelict, and from what I can gather there are plans to demolish more.

There's a fascinating legacy of industrial heritage in Leicester (to the likes of me anyway), it would be a shame to lose it.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leicester is quite lucky in that many of it's Victorian terraced housing stock still remain and which was not obliterated by high-rise council flats.
Unlike St Peter's Highfields ? The 5 tower blocks were named after the Victorian Terrace Streets that they replaced.

Goscote
Framland
Gordon
Maxfield
Clipstone

As flats i believe they are popular with the tennants. Must be a brilliant view into the city centre.

Personally i would prefer a high rise flat to a terrace.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wyvern Hotel as far as I know. St Stephens Church on New Walk was also on this site, but was taken stone by stone to its present site.
St Stephens was rebuilt on the corner of New Walk and De Montfort Street because the station site was so important for Leicester trade.

The Wyvern Hotel was built in 1869 by Arthur Wakerly it was a temperance hotel so it did not sell alchohol. It closed as a hotel in 1933 being used during the 2nd WW as the head quarters for Shell BP who moved out of London until the war was over. It finished it's life as the premises of the British Road Services company. The ground floor was shops with Boots the chemist on the corner.

Demolished 1973

It's a shame buildings are not moved anymore. Seeing as the tax payer is paying for DMU's new swimming pool and for the council to demolish the Bowstring Bridge can the tax payer ie the general public get the bridge moved rather than demolished ? Or is that just too democratic !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts