Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I fear the worst with Sowden.
I completely agree, this will be hideous. This company is responsible for the new Asda near the Space Centre, the infamous Opal Court near Leicester University and the Travellodge near the Highcross.

The strange thing is that most of the developments they have completed in Nottingham are nice, but the ones in Leicester are hideous.

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and it includes a tower around 17-18 storeys (the corner of land between Highcross Street/Vaughan Way, next to the Highcross Car Park). The tower is very much like The Summit. :banana: See images for descriptions of the different elements.

All images are from the Leicester City Council planning application no: 20141404 See: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20141404 Why do I have a feeling that the food store element may be a Waitrose? I'd assume that would be ideal with John Lewis across the road.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
BOOM! Finally a decent looking development. Fingers crossed that this goes ahead. I'm not too sure about the part with the blank wall, but the rest of the development definitely makes up for this. It's even got a football pitch on the roof and a glass bridge connected to the Highcross Carpark! Did some research and the store will be a Decathlon store:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Wow that is lovely! Considering the ring road has ripped through the very heart of old leicester Iv always thought that it needs to have a great city scape along it to act as a wow factor. Let's hope this gains planning and the Civic Society don't interject due to its proximity to All Saints Church.

When will we know if this gains permission?

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The planning application doesn't indicate a date yet.

I hope this gets through planning. The Highcross car park backs onto the church yard and that clearly is huge. I don't see why this wouldn't be passed. We need a landmark tower on that corner.

·
LCC what is it good for?
225 Posts
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and it includes a tower around 17-18 storeys (the corner of land between Highcross Street/Vaughan Way, next to the Highcross Car Park). The tower is very much like The Summit. :banana: See images for descriptions of the different elements.

All images are from the Leicester City Council planning application no: 20141404 See: http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/onlinequery/Details.aspx?AppNo=20141404 Why do I have a feeling that the food store element may be a Waitrose? I'd assume that would be ideal with John Lewis across the road.

I doubt the food store would be a Waitrose. John Lewis has plans afoot to role out waitrose food halls in all its bigger department stores which I'm guessing would include Leicester.

·
Registered
896 Posts
"Highcross Point"

Yeah, Looks good... All in all would be a great addition.
Like the use of the plot. For me, exactly the kind of mixed use I would want for that spot. Great to see a decent height tower included! Just finishes off that section of the city perfectly. Would be an impressive sight for any visitors to the city.

Would complement Highcross.. I presume Hammerson support the scheme (not read all the docs) but must do if they have given permission for the bridge to join up.

Surely has a good chance of actually happening? Bearing in mind Snowdon Group''s record (involved with a number of properties close by) & the fact they have a signed up tenant for the retail space. Here's hoping!

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Leicester - why not?
LE5
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Article from the Mercury:
Developers have drawn up plans for a £25 million complex of flats and shops opposite Highcross shopping centre.

Disused land off Vaughan Way, next to the John Lewis multi-storey car park, is being earmarked for a 15-storey tower containing apartments, a food storeand a sports shop with a rooftop pitch.

Sowden Group and William Davis have applied for planning permission for the two-acre site of the former All Saints Brewery.

They say they want to create a landmark building on a key city centre site which would have 150 flats occupied by "younger professionals".

Roy Coley, Sowden's owner and managing director, said the scheme would cost "£25 million-plus".

He said the sports store would be operated by Decathlon and the food shop offered to occupiers when the project was complete.

The firm said its scheme would bring a derelict plot back into use, provide an extension to Highcross shopping centre and kickstart the regeneration of a run-down section of the city's waterside.

However, Leicester Civic Society said it feared the structure would not be suited to the area and would overwhelm the Norman All Saints Church, which is grade I-listed.

Society chairman Stuart Bailey said: "It's too big.

"That kind of size of development would be too big anywhere, let alone in a conservation area. It's greedy to try to cram that much into such a restricted site."

The proposals have still to be considered by the council's planning committee.

Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said it was important any development respected its historic surroundings but described the project as "very exciting".

He said: "It's a major boost for Leicester and I am pleased to see the planning application in because it shows they are making progress.

"It is good because it is on the outside of the ring road.

"Since the 1960s, the ring road has been a real constraint on development. It seems we are at last jumping the ring road.

"It is right on the edge of the waterside area, a priority for regeneration, and it is very much in keeping with the plans we have as part of the waterside regeneration growth deal.

"My sporty colleagues tell me it is something of an achievement to get a Decathlon – the nearest being up the M1 near Ikea."

Sowden's planning documents said the food store was "envisaged to be a metro-style branch of one of the larger supermarkets" catering for city centre workers.

It said its larger shopping area "could be seen as an extension to the nearby Highcross shopping centre and thereby draw people across the existing access bridge and safely deliver them to a substantial retail opportunity".
See: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/pound-25m-landmark-key-city-site/story-22074019-detail/story.html

·
10,833 Posts
The Decathlon store element looks like a monolith, with a glass walkway. This would be better placed crossing the ring road from St Peter's Square.

It is clear that the developers want to lead people from the John Lewis car park to the new store. This will only re-enforce the stranglehold of the concrete-collar.

It would be far, far better to lead footfall from the Highcross eateries to Highcross Street and onto the future Waterfront/Frog Island developments.

Hopefully a new use will be found for All Saint's church. Retail or a bar restaurant would be great.

1 - 20 of 402 Posts