·
Premium member
6,597 Posts
Wow, so wonderful.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's too bad I chose Dresden over Leipzig as a day trip from Berlin. Leipzig is infinitely more interesting!
I don't think so. These Gründerzeit quarters are mostly residential districts without major sights, and most of them are quite a few metres away from the city centre. If you don't know where to look you probably end up in a quarter which was leveled in WW2 or isn't restored yet. And Dresden has such quarters too, in Neustadt and around the Blaues Wunder (blue wonder) bridge.

Industriestraße 51 - 2007

Industriestraße 51 - now

Gohliser Str. - 2007

Gohliser Str. - 2009

Pfaffendorfer 1 - 2007

Pfaffendorfer 1 - 2009

(all pictures stadtbild-deutschland.org)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hm, I don't get the message...

Anyway thanks Karasek for posting these interesting images and yes I do think that Leipzig is more interesting than Dresden. But both cities are certainly worth a visit!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
And now something compeletely different. The corner building on the right side was destroyed in WW2 (the house on the left too):

This house doesn't get reconstructed, since it was mediocre anyway. Instead they will build something which looks almost like a copy of designs from the 20s and early 30s:

Very unusual, but good.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's really great building. Could be built in 30's like a pure modernism.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Really great for a modern building. I like the style of the commercial socket and how it is clearly built in harmony with the neighbouring building in its dimensions. Have a look at "Downtown" Wichita Falls.

It somewhat gives me back a bit of confidence in modernism. ... Is this "Neo-modernism"? ;)

·
Magic Member
777 Posts
I really like this new building, but I'm afraid it will overshadow the emblematic tower of the New Town Hall from some perspectives.

·
Registered
528 Posts
At one side I think: why there? It'll probably overshadow the Neues Rathaus.
At the other side: It'll probably fit in there and will be a great fill-up for that empty space, in style of the 30's so it will fit in the area.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts