SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Globetrekker
1,106 Posts
I like this new project near the new Rathaus but for me it would be much better without the tower. It would fit much better if the height of the building was the same as its "wings" and the adjacent historical buildings.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I don't think so. There exists also plans which are smaller. Like this one
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4053/30866336.jpg
absolutely inappropriate in my opinion. It is a chance to bring this ensemble to a good end. The old pre war building was quite nice but much to small for the Stadthaus that was build next to it few years later.
An indication how fast this city grew that time by the way.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
So which building is going to be built? That nice neo-"Kaufhaus Petersdorff" or that bland boring alternative?

·
LIBERTINED
46,651 Posts
Thanks a lot for this thread Karasek, it was so overdue! :applause:

Please keep going! And it'd be great if the forumers from (around) Leipzig contribute interesting material here as well, it's your chance to show the world the gem the city is becoming :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Are there any updates to this wonderful thread? I visited last October, and saw a large number of buildings in varying states of renovation.

·
Sister Greed U
37,271 Posts
^^ :uh: :eek:mg:

Amazing, not just by the buildings, but by the number of them.

It´s incredible how run down was Leipzig. It looked like Detroit, and now it looks (again) like an extremely beautiful big German city. :applause:
It is as much of a rebirth as what´s being done in Dresden, of even more.

Were all these houses empty from the communist days, from the war, or did most of it all happen after the reunification?

Are there as many restoration works in the Dresden Neustadt as in Leipzig? :?

At Dresden´s Neumarkt they had to start from scratch, and the reconstruction of some important buildings (ie: the Frauenkirche) is a major achievement, but I´m under the impression that the restoration, sometimes reconstruction, at Leipzig, spans a much larger sector of the city, or is it just me? :?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
At first, Leipzig had its peak of inhabitants with about 718.000 people in 1930. Some more numbers:
Pre war 1939: ca. 708.000, 1945: ca. 580.000, 1970: ca. 584.000, 1998: ca. 437.000, 1999 (incorporations of nearby villages): 489.532, 2012: ca. 521.000
Such a change in inhabitants is far from any development of a west german city of this size. Even Dresden had not such extreme variations. I think you get an impression of the vacancy rate of buildings. In general and very generalising, the communists had no money to restore the old buildings. They built Plattenbauten far from the center (Grünau) and demolished some old quarters. People were happy to get a new flat because they were much more comfortable than the old run down buildings. So during communist times these areas became more empty from time to time. Luckily, when it was planned to demolish the biggest parts of the Gründerzeitviertel and to replace it with new buildings, the wall came down. Shortly after that many people moved to the west, or built their own houses far from the city center. This reduction of inhabitants hit the whole city not only the old quarters before the renovations started.

At Dresden´s Neumarkt they had to start from scratch, and the reconstruction of some important buildings (ie: the Frauenkirche) is a major achievement, but I´m under the impression that the restoration, sometimes reconstruction, at Leipzig, spans a much larger sector of the city, or is it just me?
Thats why many of these areas where renovation is currently going on in Leipzig, doesn't exist any more in Dresden. The Altstadt and the nearby Gründerzeit quarters with a high density of buildings were almost completely destroyed by the bombings. But Dresden has very large areas of residential villas (Striesen, Blasewitz) and good preserved outskirts. They do a good job in renovation there too in my opinion.
Are there as many restoration works in the Dresden Neustadt as in Leipzig?
As the (äußere) Neustadt is very small compared to areas of this type in Leipzig, no. The Neustadt is the only part of the inner city structure which was not completely destroyed. But as already said it is quite small.

·
Sister Greed U
37,271 Posts
At first, Leipzig had its peak of inhabitants with about 718.000 people in 1930. Some more numbers:
Pre war 1939: ca. 708.000, 1945: ca. 580.000, 1970: ca. 584.000, 1998: ca. 437.000, 1999 (incorporations of nearby villages): 489.532, 2012: ca. 521.000
Such a change in inhabitants is far from any development of a west german city of this size. Even Dresden had not such extreme variations. I think you get an impression of the vacancy rate of buildings.
I didn´t know that the loss of population was so huge. :uh:

But now, the fact that these quarters are being restored is an asset for the future of the city. :yes:

I don´t know if I´m wrong, but right now, Leipzig must have one of the biggest historical quarters of Germany, Berlin aside.
Maybe the biggest after Munich? :?

Of all the big German cities, I guess Leipzig must be one of the least known, far behind Munich, Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, Dresden and even Stuttgart.

But as restoration goes on and time goes by (and word spreads), that will attract more and more tourists... :)

And the fact that Leipzig is next to Dresden makes these two a hell of a tourist pack (and Berlin and Thuringia are not that far, either). :naughty:

In general and very generalising, the communists had no money to restore the old buildings. They built Plattenbauten far from the center (Grünau) and demolished some old quarters. People were happy to get a new flat because they were much more comfortable than the old run down buildings. So during communist times these areas became more empty from time to time. Luckily, when it was planned to demolish the biggest parts of the Gründerzeitviertel and to replace it with new buildings, the wall came down. Shortly after that many people moved to the west, or built their own houses far from the city center. This reduction of inhabitants hit the whole city not only the old quarters before the renovations started.
Ok... I guess that in this, Leipzig was not that different from the rest of Eastern Germany and the rest of ex-communist countries.

Thats why many of these areas where renovation is currently going on in Leipzig, doesn't exist any more in Dresden. The Altstadt and the nearby Gründerzeit quarters with a high density of buildings were almost completely destroyed by the bombings. But Dresden has very large areas of residential villas (Striesen, Blasewitz) and good preserved outskirts. They do a good job in renovation there too in my opinion.

As the (äußere) Neustadt is very small compared to areas of this type in Leipzig, no. The Neustadt is the only part of the inner city structure which was not completely destroyed. But as already said it is quite small.
Ok, alles klar.
Thank you very much for the explanations. :)

·
Ike
1,279 Posts
The city of Bach. :)

Wonderful development. I had always heard that Leipzig was one of the most polluted and depressing cities in the old GDR. Now it is becoming very beautiful again. :)

It is so good to see so many residences restored and renovated.

This is another wonderful thread about Leipzig.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=100353442#post100353442

41 - 60 of 118 Posts