Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i dont know where to post this, so i let yosef to figure it out !

according the largest french newspapers ''lemonde'' china was caught spying at the African Union in Addis.

if you are as smart as me :) and can speak french, well go straight here :

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/artic...ne-espionne-par-les-chinois_5247521_3212.html

If you are smart but cannot understand french, let me quickly sum it up for you :)

almost a year ago, the small IT staff at the AU found out all data were secretly sent to Chinese servers !
one of them discovered that around 2 am, the servers were saturated and the bandwidth dramatically increased..while nobody was there and no activity occured..
this happened from January 2012 to January 207 !! 5 years of all high level diplomatic contents sent to china...

probably the biggest breach ever at the continental scale !!!

all African gov. should be careful while dealing with Chinese contractors, businesses, especially related to IT, telecom...

maybe ethio gov. should audit ethio-telecom and majors national critical asset (hydro dams, power plants...). I bet the Chinese have already planted backdoors on routers, switches, cells towers, mobiles phones..and are currently spying nationwide !

since china has a heavy grip in Africa, they may monitor and control major gov bodies !!!

the Chinese ''gift to Africa'' looks like more a Trojan Horse !

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Smart dude [email protected] (Solomon M Kassa), please stop spreading unsubstantiated allegations without having all the facts at your disposal. What makes you think that the IT professionals at AU are not as smart as you are? What is your evidence when you claim China build all the IT infrastructure for AU HQ in Addis?

i dont know where to post this, so i let yosef to figure it out !

according the largest french newspapers ''lemonde'' china was caught spying at the African Union in Addis.

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/artic...ne-espionne-par-les-chinois_5247521_3212.html

If you are smart but cannot understand french, let me quickly sum it up for you :)

almost a year ago, the small IT staff at the AU found out all data were secretly sent to Chinese servers !
one of them discovered that around 2 am, the servers were saturated and the bandwidth dramatically increased..while nobody was there and no activity occured..
this happened from January 2012 to January 207 !! 5 years of all high level diplomatic contents sent to china...

probably the biggest breach ever at the continental scale !!!

all African gov. should be careful while dealing with Chinese contractors, businesses, especially related to IT, telecom...

maybe ethio gov. should audit ethio-telecom and majors national critical asset (hydro dams, power plants...). I bet the Chinese have already planted backdoors on routers, switches, cells towers, mobiles phones..and are currently spying nationwide !

since china has a heavy grip in Africa, they may monitor and control major gov bodies !!!

the Chinese ''gift to Africa'' looks like more a Trojan Horse !

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
What is your evidence when you claim China build all the IT infrastructure for AU HQ in Addis?
It's clearly written in the Le Monde article, China installed the IT infrastructure at the AU HQ and had Chinese engineers running it until it was discovered they were uploading ALL the information on the servers EVERY day at midnight (they were doing it for 5 years until 2017). Then the Chinese were kicked out, and a new, more secure system installed. In addition, small sound recorders were also found in the building, and cleared. The Chinese are the main suspects for that too.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Smart dude [email protected] (Solomon M Kassa), please stop spreading unsubstantiated allegations without having all the facts at your disposal. What makes you think that the IT professionals at AU are not as smart as you are? What is your evidence when you claim China build all the IT infrastructure for AU HQ in Addis?
@adenagir, did you properly read my post - in english - ??
did you read the article in french that i posted ??

What makes you think that the IT professionals at AU are not as smart as you are?
when i were talking about being smart, it is about understanding french language dude. nothing with the ethio IT staff...

i understand you dont understand french at all, otherwise you would not make these ridiculous allegations i have never posted here.

please feel free to read the article. if you disagree, well blame ''lemonde'' and their authors not me! I dont work at ''lemonde.fr''

if you were a bit smart, you could use google translate web service and get the point. you could also dig out the web and find similar post in english-speaking newspapers....you completely misunderstood my post obviously.
the article also points out the brits (GCHQ) the french and American did the same out there ! please blame the West as well.

and who is Solomon M. kassa ?

dude Adenagir, start 2018 with positive vibes man :lol:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
^^:bash:
When you say "If you are smart but cannot understand French ....", you are talking about two different qualities or skills. Please read your comment below highlighted in red.:eek:hno::eek:hno::bash:

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/articl...7521_3212.html

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you definitely have serious semantic issues with the post !
again let me quickly re-translate my post into (easy) english for you

1/ you understand french : go read the article at the link provided
2/ you cannot understand french : I'll quickly summarize the main points.

i believe the world ''smart'' turns you mad, right ?
that's why you felt offended...without reasonable reason btw

if you come back to the main point, you can reasonably believe that China have planted potential backdoors on critical assets.
I came to this point through the article in french (lemonde). We can have reasonable thoughts that china deliberately spied other assets. (brits/ french /US did it..)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Bon jure Mensuré Solomon,

Sorry, I do not Speak French! I will take the information you brought here with some grain of salt though. How credible is your French Source?

Mercy Boque!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Lol @solomon, you brought this on yourself bro. The word 'smart' should never have been in your paragraph. Now going back to the article, Le Monde is a respected french newspaper, the frenchies are really proud of it. Kind of their New York Times. It's a reliable source of information.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good start dude (-: keep on the good job !

Bonjour Monsieur
Merci

How credible is your French Source?
how about yours ? you have many posts and sources.

you like the content = reliable source ?
you dislike the content = unreliable source and fake news ?

very biased approach and way of thinkings. dont you think?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Of course China is spying. I would have been surprised if they didn't. That's why we need to use their investments to develop but still keep our alliances diversified. There are no permanent friends in foreign relations. We need to look out for our own interests.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Of course China is spying. I would have been surprised if they didn't. That's why we need to use their investments to develop but still keep our alliances diversified. There are no permanent friends in foreign relations. We need to look out for our own interests.
If China is found to be guilty as charged here, we will never ever forgive her unless she forgive us first from all of our infrastructure debts!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
We also have to acknowledge that the Europeans are not happy that China is in the continent they regard as their backyard domain, the former colonial powers have been doing worse than spying , they openly interfere in African politics, sponsor factions and install and remove governments, so I don't see any big deal in the Chinese bugging the AU, I don't think the the Chinese have any interest in African politics or governments, they probably just want to listen if the Europeans are coercing us to turn against them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
እንደመሰለኝ በረቂቅ ሥነመላዊ ትክላት (ረሥት) (ሃይ ቴክ ኢምፕሊሜንቴሽን) ዙሪያ ያለው ስለላ ሳይታለም የተፈታ ነው። እንኳን የኣንድ ኣህጉራዊ ተቋም ይቅርና የእኔና የኣንተ በይነመረባዊ ፈለግ በኣሜሪካ፥ በኣውሮጳ፥ በራሲያ እንዲሁም በቻይና የመረጃ መድበላት ውስጥ ሠፍሮ እንዳለ ኣልጠራጠርም። ቻይና እንኳ ትቅርና ስንኩሏ ህወሓት እንኳ በኣቅሚቲ ጓዳኒ ኢትዮጵያውያንን ለመሰለል እንደሞከረች ኣልሰማህም?

ኣንድ ታሪክ ልንገርህ፥ ኣንድ ግዜ በመረጃ ሥነመላ (መሥ) ወይም ኣይ.ቲ ሙያ ክሂል የሆነ ህንዳዊ ጎልማሳ ደባል ነበረኝ። ሰውየው ከቤት ሲገባ እንደሚጠበቀው ከግሌ የዋይፋይ ማሰላጫ ኣስገብቼው ሲፈልግ በይነመረብ እንዲጠቀም መፍቀድ ነበረብኝ። ከጥቂት ግዜ በኋላ ደርሶብኝ የማያውቅ ችግር ገጠመኝ፥ የኤመልእክት ኣድራሻየ መግቢያ ቃል ተቀይሮ መግባት ኣቃተኝ። ሆኖም ግን ያ ኣድራሻ ብዙም የማልጠቀምበት ስለነበር ኣልጎዳኝም። ቶሎ ብየ ግን ሌሎቹን በጣም የምጠቀምባቸውን ኣድራሻዎቼን የመግቢያ ቃላቱን ቀየርኩ። ብዙ ሳይቆይ ደግሞ ኣንዱ የዱቤ ክርታስ ቁጥሬ በኣልታወቀ ሰው ለሸቀጥ መግዣ እደተሞከረ መልእክት ደረሰኝ። ገንዘብ ነክ ከሆኑት በይነመረባዊ መዛግብቴም እንዲሁ ማስጠንቀቂያ ደረሰኝ። የሁሉንም የመግቢያ ቃል መቀየር ነበረብኝ።

በኋላ ዋይፋይ ማሳለጫየ ሄጄ ምን ኣይነት ምልልስ እንዳለ ሳጠና ሰውየው "ስኒፈር" የሚባል የስለላ ቁስ በእኔ የበይነመረብ ምልልስ ላይ እንዳዋለ ተረዳሁ። እንዴት እንደተበሳጨሁ ገምተው። ጉሮሮውን ባንቀው በወደድኩ። ሆኖም ግን <<ከድጡ ወደማጡ>> እንዳይሆንብኝ ጌታየን ኣስችለኝ በየ፥ የፈቀድኩለትን የበይነመረብ ግኛቴ ከልክየ በሚቀጥለው ወር እንዲወጣልኝ ኣደረግሁ።

·
It's the economy stupid
1,545 Posts
its not surprising china is spying on AU. I don't know why this have to be China vs Europeans kind of argument. But this is major break of trust. kind of a dilemma to many african countries. considering their growing importance partnership for our economies. but Information is important, imagine china can sell information to Egypt about ethiopias secret diplomatic and bilateral agreements with sudan or other nile countries. for the right favor. china is acting on their own interest, they don't have our interest at heart. if our secrets can be used to further benefit their own , they would not hesitate. so pls people don't trivialize the issue.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Are you kidding? Of course they do, they're very much interested in what's going on in African politics. Why do you think they're loaning Africans money? Do you think it's out of the goodness of their heart?
What I meant is Le monde would not report on how far the French state is involved in Africa, by sponsoring various political factions in different countries, but want to report the Chinese are bugging the AU. It is a well known fact that the Chinese are not interested in the politics of countries they work with, they are just interested in in the economics aspect of a relationship.

·
Corruption destroys!
579 Posts
We also have to acknowledge that the Europeans are not happy that China is in the continent they regard as their backyard domain, the former colonial powers have been doing worse than spying , they openly interfere in African politics, sponsor factions and install and remove governments, so I don't see any big deal in the Chinese bugging the AU, I don't think the the Chinese have any interest in African politics or governments
Europe had a colonial attitude in Africa shown by politics, the military and by economic exploitation, by opening a market for European goods - and exploitation of ressources (human work force, natural ressources). In addition, Europe delivered some colonial gems like railways and roads, companies and schools, human rights and jails and the like without asking the countries to pay back the spent money or the money for infrastructure measures. Except in Ethiopia. It took decades to get rid of the colonial status.

China has a colonial attitude in Africa shown by politics, financial dependence and financial exploitation, by opening a market for Chinese products - and exploitation of ressources (human work force, natural ressources). In addition, China delivers some gems like railways and roads, companies and services, management and the like with asking the countries to pay back the spent money plus interest rates. With Ethiopia. It will take decades to get rid of the debtors status.

Both parties (Europe, China) wanted to use African ressources as much as possible. Both expect(ed) profits.

The most visible difference is that China does not use force, does not physically conquer Africa and does not kill people - and that African countries have the choice initially. And that Africa has to pay back everything.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, both metrancya and fkebede are right about Europe's (mostly french) heavy interferences into Africa's affairs.
china's soft power vs brutal western colonialism. methods are different but the goal is always the same : exploitation.

below a short video (in english) which sums up France relationship with AFrica. it is being called Francafrique

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
China dismisses 'absurd' African Union HQ spying claim

China dismisses 'absurd' African Union HQ spying claim

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42861276

China has dismissed reports it bugged the African Union (AU) headquarters as "preposterous".

Kuang Weilin, the Chinese ambassador to the AU, told reporters in Ethiopia the "absurd" claim in France's Le Monde was "very difficult to understand".

He spoke out three days after the newspaper published an article claiming data from the Chinese-built AU building was being copied to Shanghai.

The article said the discovery resulted in all the AU servers being switched.
◾Africa Live: More on this and other stories
◾New Zealand MP denies being a Chinese spy
◾Find out more about the African Union

Le Monde spoke to a number of anonymous sources, who claimed the alleged transfer was taking place late at night [link in French], and was only spotted in January 2017 due to the spike in activity between midnight and 02:00, despite no-one being in the building.

It was suggested the alleged data transfer had been taking place since 2012, when the building, in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, was opened.

Officials also brought in security experts from Algeria to sweep the entire headquarters for potential bugs, the newspaper said, leading to the discovery of microphones in desks.

But Mr Kuang - who hailed the headquarters as a "monument" to his country's relationship with the continent - said it was entirely untrue.

"I really question its intention," he told reporters on Monday. "I think it will undermine and send a very negative message to people. I think it is not good for the image of the newspaper itself.

"Certainly, it will create problems for China-Africa relations."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts