SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taken from innerwest thread by Lennyr

I visited Rozelle today and got some pics from the intersection of the City Westlink and Victoria road.

I love old buildings, they remind me of horror movies. I love to explore them. I worked at the Sydney uni college of arts for awhile in the old Rozelle mental hospital, beautiful place that. The large industrial buildings in Pyrmont and Rozelle stick out very strongly in my memory from childhood, reminding me of an older Sydney.

Who has more info on the industrial history of Rozelle, particularly the power station. I hope that something good comes from it, whether it is refurbished and opened to public tours, used for some other purpose or demolished. Buildings don't stand forever. The whole "White Bay" area that has been earmarked for development when the car imports move out of Sydney Harbour is perfect I reckon for really tall towers, theres nothing to block the view of that isn't already blocked by the current buildings. Its on the water, theres a major road and a train line running through and a light rail nearbye. It's got everything.

The circle marks where I was.

The stacks

Towards the city

The White Bay Hotel and NSW Power Station

Looking back towards the power station and stacks

North east, North Sydney in background

Towards the Anzac bridge and the city

Towards Glebe to the south

Front door of the power station

Looking over the roof to the stacks

This place could become anything

·
Registered
73,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
i measured the metal stacks last year at 74m tall.
Im sure some DA is coming in soon with redevelopment. Im sure it has been mooted as arts/cultural centre etc?

skyline

·
Registered
266 Posts
CULWULLA said:
i measured the metal stacks last year at 74m tall.
Im sure some DA is coming in soon with redevelopment. Im sure it has been mooted as arts/cultural centre etc?

Cul, This whole site was mentioned last week by the state gov as a possible Expo site for something like 2012. It could result in some fantastic public infastructure.
Transport (underground train from St James heading west) , Pavilions, Parks, Gardens and as with some expos the temporary pavilion sites could see some tall redevelopments.
It could also see the old Glebe island bridge get a reuse.
An Icon development on the point of Glebe island
and maybe a move for the MCA into another Powerhouse Museum in the white Bay powerhouse.
Its an exciting idea
Im going to have a bex and a good lay down. :scouserd:

·
Registered
73,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah. thats what i heard. such a great site. so much potential.

·
Meh...
641 Posts
I took the MLR to Rozelle Bay on Friday and walked up to the Welcome Hotel. This whole area is just begging for development....hopefully it won't just be apartments etc. The World Expo would be a great opportunity to put in some public gardens/transport etc. Was never really worried about world expo but if it can help bring to life an area like this then bring it on!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I will be extremely dissapointed if this site becomes apartments. I have never liked any apartments beside the Parramatta river, especially through Canada Bay and Drummoyne area. Breakfast Point is probably the best yet. Hope something good goes up in Ermington.

I'm not sure how much commercial activity is going on in Rozelle at the moment, but I can't wait till this area becomes accessible to the public.

Cul, thank you for moving the pictures for me. Cheers

·
Registered
73,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more of white bay power station

1 - 8 of 8 Posts