SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Les Dennis in Title Role
Friday, 06 June 2008

Title Role Productions has been commissioned to do a series on Les Dennis’ Liverpool by ITV Granada.

The Manchester-based production company pitched the idea having found out that the channel hadn’t made a series around the Capital of Culture.

“Les Dennis is a well known celebrity who spent his first years of fame as a stand up comedian in the local clubs of Liverpool so he seemed like the obvious front man for the show,” explained Title Role’s Ian Bradshaw.

“The show is based on his Liverpool and what the city means to him as well as looking at the events that are happening within the city for the celebration.”
From here - http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-...asting/les-dennis-in-title-role-200806062755/

and from the Radio Times -

Les Dennis' Liverpool

Les Dennis takes a tour of his hometown to celebrate Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture, meeting some famous Liverpudlians to discuss the city's reputation as a centre of excellence in football, music, comedy, theatre and culture. Today, he goes behind the scenes at the Capital of Culture VIP launch party, before searching out some history and some art.
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsS...32&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

From Friday 27th June
8:00pm
ITV1 Granada

·
Keltlandia
8,877 Posts
That's going to be interesting, to compare it with Comrad Sayle's version. It's only being shown on Granada, not nationally though, which is a shame. This, plus the fact Granada & the rest of the old ITV stations no longer produce their own programmes, shows just how shite ITV actually is these days.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
The Manchester-based production company pitched the idea having found out that the channel hadn’t made a series around the Capital of Culture.
You have got to laugh, good ole oblivious ITV, now i would be annoyed if my tax money paid for ITV output.

The comparisons between Les and Alexei and their programmes should be interesting to hear....:|

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm looking forward to "Robert Carlyle-as-the-scouse-nutter-he-played-in-Cracker's Liverpool", being aired on Channel 5.

:lol:

Or a special, feature length episode of Telly Tubbies: "La La's Liverpool".

:hahaha:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If the programme is only going to be shown on Granada, not nationally, it is a complete and utter waste of time. Liverpool needs a fresh look shared with the entire nation, not from 'Granadaland'.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this last night when I somehow gained access to the site for a about ten minutes, but the post seems to have disappeared. So if it's appears twice, the site has had one of its funny turns again -

Les Dennis: I’ve already put my baby girl’s name down for Liverpool Uni!

Jun 18 2008 by Paddy Shennan, Liverpool Echo

Chief feature writer Paddy Shennan talks to proud Scouser Les Dennis about his forthcoming four-part series on his home city

LIFE couldn’t be much sweeter, or busier, for the man formerly known as “Poor Les” and “Les Miserables”.

All is happy on the home and work front for Les Dennis, who must be hoping his brilliant year never ends.

In April, Les and his partner, Claire Nicholson, celebrated the birth of their baby daughter, Eleanor, while the popular entertainer’s work diary is packed with enjoyable and high-profile projects.

He is currently appearing in the spoof Eurovision Song Contest musical Eurobeat: Almost Eurovision, which begins a West End run in September, and is already looking forward to appearing alongside Cilla Black in Cinderella at the Empire from December 11 to January 4.

The actor-cum-presenter has also recorded 30 of 60 planned editions of Les Dennis’s Home Video Heroes for the Challenge channel, while his recently-published autobiography, Must The Show Go On?, hit the best seller lists.

And now the man born Leslie Heseltine on October 12, 1953 at 83 Chesterton Street, Garston is proud as punch to be promoting his new series: Les Dennis’s Liverpool.

Made up of four half-hour shows, it will be shown in the Granada region at 8pm on Fridays, starting on June 27.

“I’ve just seen an early cut of the first show and I was thrilled with it,” says Les, who adds: “I was delighted to be asked to present it and I’ve found out so much about my city that I didn’t know before.

“The changes I have seen are just staggering. The redevelopment has been amazing. People have been calling Liverpool ‘the new Barcelona’ while you couldn’t buy the publicity given to the Capital of Culture launch weekend around the world.

“Liverpool is changing before our very eyes in a very exciting way. Liverpool One, for example, is helping to link the city with the docks, while Chavasse Park looks beautiful.”
Article continues here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...-name-down-for-liverpool-uni-100252-21094233/

Its worth reading on, as it covers the inevitable comparisons with the Alexei Sayle series, and gives an insight into what we can expect from the Les Dennis series.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
I actually thought that this was a piss-take. It seemed so improbable. Then I read in last night's echo that Les stated that he put his daughter's name down for Liverpool uni, like you do, and then I knew it was one.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reminder -

Les Dennis' Liverpool

Les Dennis takes a tour of his hometown to celebrate Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture, meeting some famous Liverpudlians to discuss the city's reputation as a centre of excellence in football, music, comedy, theatre and culture. Today, he goes behind the scenes at the Capital of Culture VIP launch party, before searching out some history and some art.
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsSe...s_fullpage.jsp

Tonight
8:00pm
ITV1 Granada

If anyone is reading this from outside the ITV1 Granada broadcast area and would like to watch this programme (it would be interesting to have some outsiders viewpoints on it), you can watch if you have Sky or Freesat from Sky by following these instructions -

~~~~~~~

Press Services -> Press 4 (System Setup) -> Press 4 (Add Channels)
Enter the following details -

Frequency - 10.758 (the '.' will appear automatically, so just enter 10758).
Polarisation - Leaves this as 'V'.
Symbol Rate - Use the arrow keys to change this to '22.0'
FEC - Use the arrow keys to change this to '5/6'

Arrow to 'Find Channels', and press Select.

Find ITV1 Granada on the list that appears and arrow down to it.

Press Yellow -> Press Select -> Press Select

Press Services -> Press 6 (Other Channels) if you are using a standard Sky digibox or Press 9 (Other Channels) if you are using a Sky+ or Sky HD box.

then find ITV1 Granada in the list that appears, and press Select to view.

~~~~~~~

It sounds a lot more complicated that it actually is, and if you ever want them, all the other ITV1 regions can be added in the same way. You won't be able to record/pause them etc with a Sky+/HD box, but at least you can view them.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone watch this last night? I thought it was pretty good. Considering it was only 30 minutes long (less with adverts), the programme seemed to cover quite a bit of material, but without any one thing feeling unduly rushed. The pieces on the Hardman collection and the Bluecoat were interesting, and similar to the Alexei Sayle programme before it, Les Dennis seemed genuinely wowed about things in his home city.

It was less incisive than the Alexei Sayle version, but then I don't think that was the intention, and as such I think that's fine as they will provide a balance for each other. This was the advert for Liverpool that Alexei Sayle's version wasn't designed to be.

Overall it was very good, and I look forward to next week's episode.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,749 Posts
It's just good to see tv shows heralding the new and the future of our cities as much as discussing their heritage and past...and to say illustrate how a city can manage to have both without comprimising.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick reminder that this is on shortly on ITV1 Granada. I would have posted earlier had the site been up, but hopefully someone might see this and tune in.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Last week's programme can be streamed on the Itv site here: http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/capitalofculture08/?player=GRA_LCC_15&void=206410.

I've just watched it. It's not the deepest or most philosophical work but I cannot but notice how, unlike the Sayle thing, it is 100 per cent bullshit free. Everything Les says is actually true. I know he's been in the press in recent years for the wrong reasons but it's notable just what a charming and engaging presenter he is - a stark contract to the smug, obnoxious Alexei Sayle. Les battled through the old WMC comedy circuit, an unforgiving and highly competitive environment whatever you might think of the old-style pre-"alternative" comedians. The man has talent. Contrast that with the shortcut to success taken by Alexei Sayle by putting on a bogus scouse accent (when the cameras are on him) and affecting a aggressive scumbag demeanour (subtext: scousers are scary, violent ranting maniacs) lacking the wit or charisma to get famous otherwise.

And note Les's accent, just how a Liverpudlian whose work had taken him to London decades before might sound like: neither affectedly professional Scouse (like Sayle on tv) nor wilfully diluted (like Sayle during his dinner parties in Bloomsbury according to accounts).

I like Les. And he got to shag that Amanda Holden minx. Although she turned out to be a evil, gold-digging doxy in the end. Still, that's the sort of mistake we'd all like to make.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm looking forward to "Robert Carlyle-as-the-scouse-nutter-he-played-in-Cracker's Liverpool", being aired on Channel 5.

:lol:

Or a special, feature length episode of Telly Tubbies: "La La's Liverpool".

:hahaha:

that was the best ever cracker episode.where he was singing "LIV...ERP...OOL Liverpool FC" in the Stretford End and not giving a ****!

How about Derek "degsy" Hatton's Liverpool? Accompanied by some of his old henchmen like the bruiser Tony Mulhearn? How does that grab you? :lol:

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Last week's programme can be streamed on the Itv site here: http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/capitalofculture08/?player=GRA_LCC_15&void=206410.

I've just watched it. It's not the deepest or most philosophical work but I cannot but notice how, unlike the Sayle thing, it is 100 per cent bullshit free. Everything Les says is actually true. I know he's been in the press in recent years for the wrong reasons but it's notable just what a charming and engaging presenter he is - a stark contract to the smug, obnoxious Alexei Sayle. Les battled through the old WMC comedy circuit, an unforgiving and highly competitive environment whatever you might think of the old-style pre-"alternative" comedians. The man has talent. Contrast that with the shortcut to success taken by Alexei Sayle by putting on a bogus scouse accent (when the cameras are on him) and affecting a aggressive scumbag demeanour (subtext: scousers are scary, violent ranting maniacs) lacking the wit or charisma to get famous otherwise.

And note Les's accent, just how a Liverpudlian whose work had taken him to London decades before might sound like: neither affectedly professional Scouse (like Sayle on tv) nor wilfully diluted (like Sayle during his dinner parties in Bloomsbury according to accounts).

I like Les. And he got to shag that Amanda Holden minx. Although she turned out to be a evil, gold-digging doxy in the end. Still, that's the sort of mistake we'd all like to make.
:lol: If Les Dennis has talent he's done a good job of hiding it for the last 20 years:lol: Re: his accent,it's the archetypal suburban Scouse,Woolton,Crosby,Wallasey. They all pronounce "o" like drag artists.:lol:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Cheers Awayo

great to be able to watch that from over here (the BBC blocks its streams outside the UK):bash:

Anyone know if theres a way to copy it to disc?

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
:lol: If Les Dennis has talent he's done a good job of hiding it for the last 20 years:lol: Re: his accent,it's the archetypal suburban Scouse,Woolton,Crosby,Wallasey. They all pronounce "o" like drag artists.:lol:
cant say i've noticed! although i can usually spot say a middle class Crosby dialect from the Page Moss one!

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Cheers, Goldie. South Liverpool's, as well as the far north end's and Wallasey's accents all had subtle differentiators or at least I thought so when younger and trainspoterish.

I was in Ormskirk last week. I like the town. Always have.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Cheers, Goldie. South Liverpool's, as well as the far north end and Wallasey's accents all had subtle differentiators or at least I thought so when younger and trainspoterish.

I was in Ormskirk last week. I like the town. Always have.
I was working in Aughton the other day (by Town Green station). The accents there are now overwhelmingly Scouse except for a few old dears.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
^^^^ Most of the Wirral accent is that "o" sound. They're taliking with thick scouse accents and then and they say something like no or going and it's Lily Savage:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts