SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are my pictures of the town of lewisburg from april 10th. i was driving home from buffalo that day and since i was by myself and had the time, i decided to take a small detour and venture into downtown for once.

lewisburg is a large town with a population of around 5500. the town is about 60 miles north of harrisburg, located on u.s. route 15. the town is on the west shore of the western branch of the susquehanna river. lewisburg is known as "tree city u.s.a.".

looking west at lewisburg from across the susquehanna river.

downtown lewisburg, which was placed on the national register of historic places.

bucknell university, which is in lewisburg.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dude, again, one of the towns we go through on the Raleigh to Rochester drive. I think it's a little south of here where we see this little white statue on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna river.

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, the statue is south of lewisburg. the statue is just south of where 322 crosses over the river. if i'm correct, youdrive on route 15 all they way through pennsylvania, and so you're always on the west side of the river. the statue is closer to the east side of the river, so i would get a better view of it since i drive on 322 on the east shore up from harrisburg until 322 crosses the river. the statue is a replica of the statue of liberty, if you didn't know.

i tried to take a picture of the statue as i was driving up to buffalo, but the weather was crappy as the pictures indicated, and it was just too difficult holding the camera up high so i could get it over the guardrail.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Are you sure the nickname is "Tree City USA", or is there just a little sign saying such as you enter the town? Just curious, because there are alot of towns with those signs, particularly in NH from my experience - one of those little coalitions of cities not unlike the various "Main Street" communities and the "All-America Cities".

Or maybe that really is the nickname, I don't know.

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sargeantcm said:
Are you sure the nickname is "Tree City USA", or is there just a little sign saying such as you enter the town? Just curious, because there are alot of towns with those signs, particularly in NH from my experience - one of those little coalitions of cities not unlike the various "Main Street" communities and the "All-America Cities".

Or maybe that really is the nickname, I don't know.
i guess there are other "tree city u.s.a." cities, i don't know. i saw a small sign that said that, so that's why i inlcuded it.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Another dandy little PA town. The state has so many of these smaller city gems. btw
Matt, I'm sure you've explored Mansfield a bit. Another cute little place, and there's even a touch of skyline (the school). :)

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
xzmattzx said:
yes, the statue is south of lewisburg. the statue is just south of where 322 crosses over the river. if i'm correct, youdrive on route 15 all they way through pennsylvania, and so you're always on the west side of the river. the statue is closer to the east side of the river, so i would get a better view of it since i drive on 322 on the east shore up from harrisburg until 322 crosses the river. the statue is a replica of the statue of liberty, if you didn't know.

i tried to take a picture of the statue as i was driving up to buffalo, but the weather was crappy as the pictures indicated, and it was just too difficult holding the camera up high so i could get it over the guardrail.
Close, we actually bypass DC and go further west through western MD and WVA, so we start off in I-81 until we get to Harrisburg, but then yeah, the rest of the way in PA is on 15 along the western bank of the river.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
xzmattzx said:
i guess there are other "tree city u.s.a." cities, i don't know. i saw a small sign that said that, so that's why i inlcuded it.
Yeah, that makes sense then. Though I'm sure there's probably a city out there with the nickname, probably 20 of them even.

Official Tree City USA Site

Not to burst any bubbles, I just knew I had seen those signs before.

BTW Buffalo, Williamsville, Amherst, Lancaster, East Aurora are in it from the immediate Buffalo area, and Wilmington is among 19 Delaware jurisdictions.

·
18,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AmeriKenArtist said:
...Statue of Liberty? Upriver (not far) from Harrisburg.
that statue of liberty is just south of where route 322 crosses the susquehanna (and just north of harrisburg, like you said). i tried to take a picture of it while driving, but it just didn't work out. the statue is probably an hour from lewisburg though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts