SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 1055 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone paying that would be much better off on the dole. I presume it will go to someone on housing benefits adding to the £22 billion annual bill. Selling off council housing and not building any for 20 years has been a massive mistake. As will not building anymore in the future while population growth is at an all time high. How high can the housing benefit bill go with such a large national deficit?
Exactly! Its all about the quickest way to make money for these people. Take the olympic village for example.. Just been sold to a Qatari company for £557million with an apparent taxpayer loss of 175million. If the government were instead to turn these into affordable housing lets say.. £600pcm (not much for the location), your looking at 2818 flats over 10 years with a premium income of 202million to be used for maintenance/security/MP's 2nd houses woteva. Not to mention it would help out thousands of londoners who could really use it. Im sure theres alot more to it than that but it kinda makes you think.. (Dont cuss my maths jus a quick add up)

·
Unimposing goose
171 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised by the pace with which the residential blocks have risen. The view from the railway platform has improved most drastically since last I was there in 2010; were it not for the Mothercare store I would have failed to recognise the viewpoint.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Fxxk that does not look like Lewisham town centre. It almost makes me want to get a bulldozer and finish the rest of the town centre off.
It isn't really the centre, it used to be a strange hinterland. You can still be in Lewisham high street and not notice anything. I can't wait for the Mothercare site to be redeveloped.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Just shows that when building residential blocks keep it simple and symmetric, with as few colours as possible and make the windows large. There is a new block near me which has about 6 different colours and a rather pointless 'border'. It just looks poor. Random windows mostly looks shit as well.

One thing I don't like is the balconies, but that seems to always be the case with new builds. They tend to look clunky rather than elegant.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Agree the best buildings have a limited range of colours,materials, generous glazing and simple refined detailing. Adding colour is faddish distracting and looks cheap in most cases. I think architects who insist on garish buildings would never live in such places themselves.

·
37,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #192

·
Ampersands & What
7,251 Posts
Cheers SE9, nice to see a little cluster forming around the town centre. Looks pretty good! Nice to have the old Citibank building there for some contrast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 2nd tallest building (yellow-brick block, taller brother to the already completed one) has yet to rise:

Yes I live and work in Lewisham and had also noticed that one of the yellow towers has yet to appear. Any idea why ?

The development is without question a vast improvement on the buildings that were there before.

However I am not to sure about the multi-coloured scheme that is being used for the leisure centre. I went past it this week and it looks a bit tacky and cheap.

The first thing I would like to know if buying one of these flats is where can I park my car ?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seriously, if you are going to live in Lewisham Town Centre, 2 minutes away from virtually all the shops you'll need, and 1 minute away from one of the best connected stations in London, are you really still going to worry about a car?
First of all the shops in Lewisham Town centre do not represent "virtually all the shops you'll need". Secondly even with the train and bus links you are very much restricted without a car. Of course you can get around London ok on the local transport but everyone has places they like to go to which requires a car.

·
Not Cwite There
7,379 Posts
In fairness, Lewisham Town Centre shops are "gash", as the locals would say.
Probably a slight exaggeration on my part, but there's certainly more than enough choice for everyday grocery shopping. Anything more just need to jump on a train.

First of all the shops in Lewisham Town centre do not represent "virtually all the shops you'll need". Secondly even with the train and bus links you are very much restricted without a car. Of course you can get around London ok on the local transport but everyone has places they like to go to which requires a car.
Lewisham regeneration isn't the first development in London where parking provision isn't top of the priority. Ever considered that those journeys which require a car once in a blue moon might be more cheaply completed by renting a car?

181 - 200 of 1055 Posts