SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Except I never said it wasn't over crowded, I said it was the least crowded. I guess Manhattan must be a hole given it is more crowded than Lewisham.

I don't know if you're doggedly defending your point or just being dumb, but what can't you understand about the fact that what matters is the London job market as a whole, not individual boroughs. FFS do people in Lewisham only work in the borough? No one from Greenwich or Southwark working there then? Your 1 job for 35 applicants stat is meaningless. In my entire life I've worked a grand total of 3 months in the borough I grew up in, and never worked in any of the other boroughs I lived in. My dad hasn't worked in his residential borough since the mid-80s. It's a London job market, not a local one and even if it were it would be better looking at slices of the city not boroughs (SE, NW, NE, etc). Even then, what can't you understand about building homes for people who already have jobs.

·
moulds
473 Posts
40% of inner London is dependent on housing benefit, who is going to stop rich international investors/investors buying up the flats and renting to people who claim housing benefit, no one.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
40% of inner London is dependent on housing benefit, who is going to stop rich international investors/investors buying up the flats and renting to people who claim housing benefit, no one.
The vast majority (around 90%) of new housing benefit claimants over the past 2 years have been from people in work. Nationally, they made up close to a fifth of all housing benefit claimants last year and that's likely to increase as rents continue going up yet wages stagnate. No doubt in London it's a bit higher.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
That's what happens when you replace public/social housing with public subsides given to private landlords. Build council homes for those earning around 65% of the median income and you'll suck out a lot of the demand for private renting, reducing rates for average earners and helping out the treasury. Unfortunately politics and ideology gets in the way.

·
moulds
473 Posts
Population of London to reach 9m by 2020 pushed up by immigration and rising birth rates. The problems seems to be getting worse, oh well never mind, stay positive.

·
moulds
473 Posts
How many kids will go without a primary school place then ? and how bad will London's unemployment rate be ?
Oh yes they will just add 20 more kids per classroom greatly reducing the chance of a good education, unemployment will of course rise, those robots in the house of flaws have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh yes they will just add 20 more kids per classroom greatly reducing the chance of a good education, unemployment will of course rise, those robots in the house of flaws have a lot to answer for.
To be fair, in Lewisham borough they have actually re-built quite a number of schools to accommodate the growing numbers but how long will it be until they don't have enough space either.

I tell you what I would be extremely angry if I had a child at school starting age and he/she could not go because there is not enough room. My personal opinion is that when that is the case, children who come from non-tax paying families should be last to get a look in. Call me what you will.

·
Not Cwite There
7,045 Posts
To be fair, in Lewisham borough they have actually re-built quite a number of schools to accommodate the growing numbers but how long will it be until they don't have enough space either.

I tell you what I would be extremely angry if I had a child at school starting age and he/she could not go because there is not enough room. My personal opinion is that when that is the case, children who come from non-tax paying families should be last to get a look in. Call me what you will.
Well, any families living in these newly built apartments will probably pay more tax than you. Take that what you will.

·
37,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did hear that the Lethbridge site was going to include a 17 story tower block. It seems that some people haven't learned from previous mistakes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Really liking the look of this. Perfect for it's location. This and other large scale developments such as Ferrier show that standards of large developments seem to be improving.

Is the Tesco by the station in line for some kind of redevelopment? I may have read that a while back?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yo i was born in egremont house! (Far right of the cluster of brown buildings in the last photo) 2bedroom council flat in a SH*T towerblock in the 90's - now up for £900pm!! WTF is wrong with this city..

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yo i was born in egremont house! (Far right of the cluster of brown buildings in the last photo) 2bedroom council flat in a SH*T towerblock in the 90's - now up for £900pm!! WTF is wrong with this city..
Anyone paying that would be much better off on the dole. I presume it will go to someone on housing benefits adding to the £22 billion annual bill. Selling off council housing and not building any for 20 years has been a massive mistake. As will not building anymore in the future while population growth is at an all time high. How high can the housing benefit bill go with such a large national deficit?

161 - 180 of 1051 Posts