Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the object. The Lexington forumers will be posting Lexington photos once a day moving through the city block by block. One day = one block. Because no matter how hard you try you can never really convey the feel of your city even in the longest photo thread. We'll be getting it started soon and I hope you enjoy.

Feel free to start a block by block thread of your city!

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's the first installment of our block by block tour of Lexington. We're starting at the High Street/Maxwell Street split.

This first block is very short but it doesn't lack character. Hope you enjoy Maxwell between High and Woodland!

Woodland Park

Looking north along Woodland toward Main

Looking south along Woodland toward campus.

And ending here at Woodland Avenue.

Tomorrow we'll have Woodland to Rose, which includes some beautiful greenspace!

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's the second installment of our block by block tour of Lexington. This is Maxwell Street between Woodland and Rose. The area photographed yesterday and in today's photos are a sort of middle ground between campus and downtown. The area is a mix quirky shops students and professionals that work downtown. It's not unusual to find very expensive townhomes, condos, or Victorian homes on one street and low rent poorly maintained student housing the next street over.

Enjoy!

Homes along Maxwell

Greenery
Transylvania Park, incidentally it's nowhere near Transylvania University some 12 blocks away.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A map of downtown Lexington would be nice because it would help out of towners track where these photos are from/in relation to one another. Nice idea!

·
Historian, photographer
2,298 Posts
He's currently in this area.

You know, it makes me wonder if Lexington had wanted to connect University Drive with Transylvania Park at one point. See this map for a loc. University ends at William T. Young Library with a left turn bay, and what were to be two general travel lanes that possibly indicated a future extension north. It wouldn't have been an impossible venture back when the road was constructed in the 1970s, but is wholly impossible today. The construction of the road would have given a nice north-south route to give relief to the congestion on S. Limestone and Rose St., but would have required upgrades the closer it got to Maxwell.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're probably right about the map. Good idea.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've gone back and added maps to my previous posts. Other forumers feel free to use the map to track your progress as well. Hope it's helpful.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No hassle really. Just a couple seconds on paint to draw the line onhe map, i was a good idea!

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The third installment of the block by block thread is Maxwell between Rose and Marin Luher King.

This block of Maxwell makes up the unofficial boundary of the University of Kentucky. Even though the acual campus is still anoher block south everything on the south side of this block is owned by UK. Most of the UK buildings on this block are Vicorian homes withthe exception of the building at Maxwell and Rose.

Aside from the UK buildings this is another residential block made up almost exclusively of aparments marketed toward students.

Enjoy!

Looking down Stone Avenue.

A Lutheran Church

·
Registered
213 Posts
These are more pics along Maxwell. This is the stretch in between Martin Luther King and Broadway.

(This is closer to Broadway)

This is the back side of Kimball House Square

This is the front

(this is the intersection of Maxwell and MLK)

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
I've seen these condos a lot lately, and I really like them. I think it is a great complex and some pretty quality urban infill. :eek:kay:

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
George I think we must have just missed each other because we took a lot of the exact same pictures yesterday, here some i took to compliment George's, and here's a map of the ground he covered. I'll leave some that were EXACTLY the same angles. Seriously man, we've got a like eye for photos.

This is Joe Bologna's (pronounced: bah-lone-yahs). It's a great little pizza joint in an old church building.

Another of Bella Rose, a cute little women's clothing store.

New Age gifts, your friendly neighborhood head shop.

Maxwell and MLK looking south toward campus.

Me and four other friends almost rented the second story of this house last year.

I'll get another map so we can move west of Broadway to the Versailles Road split.
I hope you all enjoy!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts