SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning application has gone online for the Library Walk link building.

Library Walk Albert Square Manchester

CITY COUNCIL DEVELOPMENT Erection of a glazed link between Central Library and the Town Hall Extension, including the alteration and extension of existing window openings to finished floor level to create 2 no. entrances and installation of associated lighting; erection of gates to the Mount Street end of Library Walk; raising of the level of Library Walk to enable level access into both buildings and replacement of pavement light quadrant with a paving solution and associated works.
http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=M40NFJBC6K000

The Proposals

Library Walk Link will form a new entrance to the Town Hall Complex, linking CL and the THx. The proposals form part of the wider Town Hall Complex Transformation Programme, which aims not only to see the restoration of CL and THx but also to provide an effective means of customer access to Council Services and improved service delivery. The glazed link will become a shared reception and customer access point to both buildings, visible from St Peters Square and providing easy access to those who are walking from the Mount Street end of Library Walk.

The installation of gates to the Mount Street end of Library Walk is required to avoid the creation of a dead end during the hours when Library Walk Link is closed to public (between 10pm and 6am). This application provides details of a base design for the gates and a set of parameters to enable an assessment of the impact of the proposals on the surrounding heritage assets, but it is noted that the final design may be the subject of a competition.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Great.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So they're planning to close Library Walk for most of the day? :eek:hno:

Not keen on this at all. Looks better as it is now.
Unless I'm mistaken, both ends of library walk will allow access to the link structure, but when the link structure is closed, the mount street entrance will become a dead end - and out of sight of the entrance areas.

Don't forget that there was a serious sexual assault on library walk last year and obviously the council want to prevent a repeat...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I thought they were going to install a glazed roof spanning the whole height of both buildings (a la British Museum) creating a dramatic covered walkway - this looks like a poxy green house blocking the entrance..

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It's hardly the back streets of Moss Side though is it.

It couldn't be more central. If they want increased security put a few more CCTV cameras round there. But closing it off and preventing people walking through is incredibly badly thought out. :eek:hno:

And the design looks crap as well!

·
Nasty piece of work
1,909 Posts
It's hardly the back streets of Moss Side though is it.

It couldn't be more central. If they want increased security put a few more CCTV cameras round there. But closing it off and preventing people walking through is incredibly badly thought out. :eek:hno:

And the design looks crap as well!
To be fair, it would only be closed at night time; I don't think many people use it then anyway.

That said, it's pretty lame IMO. The covered walkway idea is far superior.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has someone took a lighter to the plastic roof? Awful!
It is supposed to be like that from lighting designs, almost like a bubble design kinda below the glass roof I think. Not many actual plans online showing it all off that much, just the odd render and site plan etc.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
This looks bloody terrible.

Keep Library Walk open and put some artificial Victorian lamposts down there. It's always been a great place to walk. I thought this link was supposed to be underground anyway?

:eek:hno:

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The basement link between the Library and Town Hall is still being done, though now a new public entrance that is mainly a glorified reception linking both buildings, is planned as above.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I thought they were going to install a glazed roof spanning the whole height of both buildings (a la British Museum) creating a dramatic covered walkway - this looks like a poxy green house blocking the entrance..
That was my understanding as well, and I concur with your assessment.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
So will we not be able to use the main portico to go inside the library? That would be a great shame for me.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the main entrances will be kept, this is just a building to link the Library and Town Hall extension together, even though there will be the underground link to the Town Hall from the Library, as has previously been said.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
:shocked:

Is someone having a laugh at our (tax) expense? Pitiful, pathetic.
Sometimes, it's better to do nothing.
If it doesn't add anything why do it? Why do they need to be 'linked'?
One door to THX, another opposite to CL. Simples.

Visitors will point at this puny attempt and laugh in a very mocking kind of way. It must have been like this:

MCC Official: We want you to design an iconic glazed link between two of our finest and most important civic buildings.
Architect: Great, we can do something special here given the iconic nature and the location of these buildings
MCC: Was hoping you'd agree
Architect: Right. What's the budget?
MCC: 10 Grand
Architect: No silly, not the fees, the budget for the whole project
MCC: errrrrrr.... :runaway:

That was my take on it too. That would be worth spending public money, as I'm sure there could be opportunities for income generation to help pay for it.

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
Yess, but needs to be taller. Reminds me a little of this.

Can anyone say they enjoyed walking through the wind-tunnel that was library walk? Thought it was a dark, cold oppressive space. Who’s the designer?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
My first impression is thank goodness they have not done the glazed roof. I really don't think that would have worked at all in terms aesthetically improving the space. It was the way the sky met the top curves of both buildings that did it for me, especially on a sunny day.

As for walking down Library Walk, I have to confess that I would often go a slightly longer way around to walk this way, although getting harassed by beggars on the blind bit of the curve did use to bug me, so at least this will prevent that annoyance.

I'm hoping as has been proffered in many of the artist's impressions for the area that cafes and restaurants run along and spill on to the outside of the THX. It will really complement the 'big square' aspirations IMO.

1 - 20 of 556 Posts