Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting development in this new era where expats are flocking to the country to rebuild/generate and construct the classic tourist spots at Lido beach:

Mogadishu as a Future Tourism Destination

Mitchell Sipus, 22 July 2012

A lucky aspect of my work in Mogadishu is the ability to travel freely throughout the city. With 16 districts in the city, many of them retain their own unique characteristics either inherited from history or newly developing amidst the current revival of the city. A couple days ago, while meeting with members of the local business community, a successful restaurant owner showed me some of the other ventures he is developing. One in particular had already caught my eye while rolling down the street.

The zebra-stripped facade stands boldly from the ruined landscape. In the neighborhood of Liido, across the street and down a ways from the restaurant Indian Ocean, the Safari Classic Beach Resort is a visionary step toward a future tourism economy. The owner returned to Somalia from many years in Canada in 2009 and said that these days everything is dramatically different. When I asked him if he ever plans to bring his children to Mogadishu he looked at me with a smile and said "they will be here in two days!"

We walked around the grounds of his new establishment toward the ocean. The sand was covered with boys playing soccer while young girls ran into the crashing waves. The air was warm and the water was cool. Apparently where we stood was once occupied by some of the largest mansions in Mogadishu, and today, it is simply a popular place for recreation. I have no doubt that this can become a big tourism hotspot. -- Source

·
RETIRED
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do you guys think of the Safari theme and Zebra paterns? Too flamboyant or unique? I personally think it will look great when its finished, since its part of a larger complex, not to mention its ideally situated:

·
Djibouti
6,180 Posts
Nice Liido beach rocks, there should be lot's of resorts and entertainment places there. I guess it's too early to comment on the resort as not much is built, but I think keeping the areas medieval architecture with an exotic, African decor would do it.

I hope in aney u eekaney hotelada ka dhisan dalka badankooga, coz most of them are just ugly and tasteless

·
Pie Eater & Proud
378 Posts
Must be near the old Anglo American Beach Club, could even be the same building.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What do you guys think of the Safari theme and Zebra paterns? Too flamboyant or unique? I personally think it will look great when its finished, since its part of a larger complex, not to mention its ideally situated:

Wow. Brilliant location, talk about a view! They are very savvy by moving in so quickly and will certainly make some good money from this venture.

The zebra pattern is bold and will certainly make them stand out. Whether they can pull it off will I think depend on the interior, logo and how all the different aspects work together. But in any case, because the building is raised and almost sitting on a platform, it will certainly have a very commanding presence.

Thanks for posting this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts