SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there could be a lull for a couple of weeks before major news is announced for Birmingham, consider this. Do you remember life before the internet when you thought you were the only deranged person in the world with a weird & unhealthy attraction to tall buildings!!??

·
Simples
6,756 Posts
Given that the Internet was invented in 1991 i bet we have some forumers who don't quite remember life before the internet...

What's you first memories of the Internet then?

I first saw it in about 1995/96 around my uncles and he was showing us Altavista (www.altavista.com a pre google search engine) and i was really impressed. We got the Internet in 1996 and have been adicted to it since. I spend more hours a day using the Internet than i watch TV.. bet that's true for many given the quality of output on the main channels these days (ITV - Idiot Television)

I'd rather forget "Life before the Internet" - can anyone remember printed encyclopedias for example - i'd much rather have wikipedia

·
Kebab Licker
3,163 Posts
I remember going on the newsgroup uk.local.birmingham in about 1996 or 1997 and trying to find out how tall the BT Tower was. Someone told me 598 foot. The liars :gunz:

·
Simples
6,756 Posts
FLD said:
I can still remember using chalk on a piece of slate at school!
I remember that too...

no wait.. that was the Blackcountry living museum ;)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I think they spoke and handwrote letter before giving them to something called a "typing pool" ?

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
I first used the internet in I think 1997 at my cousin's house. We got it here in early 1998 and I was able to satisfy my skyscraper needs like never before! ;)

I can't think what we'd do now without computers and the internet these days. Research is just so easy now. :happy:

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Engels said:
Given that the Internet was invented in 1991 i bet we have some forumers who don't quite remember life before the internet...
The Internet, known as ARPANET then, has been around since the 1960's.

I have grown up with it. I'm now 21, but I remember when I was 4 or 5 years old going onto the Internet using USENET and such systems using a BBC Micro.

The WWW became free in 1993 (ish), and I remember using the system on my old Acorn. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I bought my first 486cpu PC back in 94/95 I think with Windows 3.1, 3 gig hard drive, 4 meg of ram and 14" monitor for over a grand!!!

Also had internet access via very slow dial-up modem. my first ISP was AOL. Stayed with those bastards far too long. Don't think Google was around then so used Altavista or Excite as my SEs.

Blimey, can't believe that was 12 years ago ... bet there was a similar usernet forum to SSC back then, probably had peeps from Birmingham wondering when AC was going to be built lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
i couldnt imagine doing research at university without the internet it teaches me so much and gives me so many journals!!
haha acorn computers i remember when i first went to secondary school i wanted one sooo much because they had the aztec game on it but i soon grew out of that!

·
15,712 Posts
well i rememberlife before the internet when i was at junior school....and instead of the internet, the way of finding information was the one and only......ENCARTER!!!!! amazing thig...the family used to get the new editions every year.....it had videos and everything woohoo...... it was like...well nothing id ever seen before...than the boring internet came along :(

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sonny97 said:
I bought my first 486cpu PC back in 94/95 I think with Windows 3.1, 3 gig hard drive, 4 meg of ram and 14" monitor for over a grand!!!

Also had internet access via very slow dial-up modem. my first ISP was AOL. Stayed with those bastards far too long. Don't think Google was around then so used Altavista or Excite as my SEs.

Blimey, can't believe that was 12 years ago ... bet there was a similar usernet forum to SSC back then, probably had peeps from Birmingham wondering when AC was going to be built lol
Why are AOL bastards?

·
Registered
968 Posts
BABYCAKES said:
Why are AOL bastards?
Many many reasons. not least for the way they mess up your machine with hidden cookies and trackers; certain firewalls, browsers, AV & AS software have to be re-configured to accept AOL; how its almost impossible to uninstall cleanly without having to dig about in the registry; its lumbering technology & naff SE, its exensive, buggy and heavy on system resources. This may have been acceptable 10 years ago but AOL just looks dated and desparate these days

But for a more complete reason why AOL is hated so much check out

http://www.guardian.co.uk/efinance/article/0,2763,195777,00.html

·
Simples
6,756 Posts
SimonTheSoundMan said:
The Internet, known as ARPANET then, has been around since the 1960's.

I have grown up with it. I'm now 21, but I remember when I was 4 or 5 years old going onto the Internet using USENET and such systems using a BBC Micro.

The WWW became free in 1993 (ish), and I remember using the system on my old Acorn. :)
Yes i had wondered if anybody would pickup on my confusion of World Wide Web and the Internet. I think 1991 is the accepted date for the start of the Web with Tim Berners Lee (a Brit) creating it by bringing together the concepts of hypertext and a browser (called Gopher). Something like that anyway. Then Al Gore passes a bill in the US Senate providing funding and it all gets a bit fuzzy in my mind...

I remember BBC micro computers in the 80s too.. but did anybody else have a Sinclair Spectrum (I had the 128k version in .. really advanced stuff in 1986)

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
Engels said:
did anybody else have a Sinclair Spectrum (I had the 128k version in .. really advanced stuff in 1986)
We had what I think was a rival at the time - the Amstrad CPC464. My fave games were Oh Mummy and Harrier Attack. :happy:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts