Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
nostalgic incurabil
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm one of the Romanians intrested by N.Y.C. (trhou all that I never travelled outside my country's borders). And since I do like history and I'm curios how life was in the city between 1945 and 1998. I did see some pictures (I will look more on the Mid century pics topic (thread) - there are so many pictures there...), I did see some movies, but I want to get opinions from the people.
In that dark period of the city, there where lower crime ares, areas where you could rise your kids without beeing feared to much of crime, areas where people could ride the subway without beeing assulted? And after the decline of N.Y.C. industry, what comercial activity was offering most jobs?

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
Back then, people thought you were tough if you were able to live in NY. So there were probably not that many 'safe' areas. But hopefully a real NYer can answer.

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
I would say that business did quite well untill the 1970's. I saw a documentary about the garment district where they manufactured clothing. The NYC textile industry was booming in the 30's & 40's until the labor unions grew stronger, the prices of raw materials rose and competition from low cost countries grew and the recession began.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts