SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

this is my first post on this ace site - so pleased I've found it.

This is about that big building with the huge chimney and curved roofs that has been expanded over the past few months near the end of the parkway, it looks like an incinerator?

About 2 months ago one evening I drove past it and it had the most amazing rainbow coloured band of lights going round it. But I only ever saw the light that one night. It looked amazing as you came down the parkway, as the colours gradually changed from one side of the building to the other, around the top. Has anyone else seen this or know if they are going to become a permanent feature?

PS sorry if slightly off topic - though is a big new building!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi greggles!

I've seen the lights that you are talking about. They do look really nice but i suppose the council had told the developer to put them in so the buuilding looks a bit more astetic (hopefully that's the word lol) to the public cos lets face it the building is a bit bland.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I sold my car a while ago so haven't been over there for a while but I hope they turn em on permanent soon! There was a crane next to the rim where the lights were a few days ago, looked like it had a platform for a man to stand on, so maybe it was fixing them :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Noticed that the band of colourful lighting around the top of the incinerator are working again and do find it gives a rather interesting dimension to an otherwise eyesore of a building.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they've been on for a few months now - in fact I think Hella may have posted a photo of them a couple of months ago - I think they look ace!

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
Almost makes up for the fact that the leader of the council has decided to pump toxins into her ward constituents for the next 25 years doesn't it...

Stop complaining about your incurable lung disease and look at the pretty lights! :eek:hno:

(I do actually like the pretty lights though lol.)

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,136 Posts
Almost makes up for the fact that the leader of the council has decided to pump toxins into her ward constituents for the next 25 years doesn't it...

Stop complaining about your incurable lung disease and look at the pretty lights! :eek:hno:

(I do actually like the pretty lights though lol.)
Tell you what, you'll be interested in this; found whilst researching Co-generated Heat and Power (CHP) as an alternative green energy source. Go to page 17, section 2.10....

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
Whether this is 'green' energy or not is a bit of a moot point. I think the Green Party still say it's better to recycle more, as the energy required to make new glass, plastic etc. is more than the amount saved by capturing the heat from the incinerator. I haven't seen any objective evidence though, so I'm not sure. If we do have to incinerate refuse, I suppose the least we can do is capture the energy from it.

The amount of green waste that gets burnt really irritates me. Virtually all of it could be reused as compost, mulch etc. so it has an inherent value (topsoil is very expensive to buy). The high water content of green waste also cools down the incinerator, making it less efficient.

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,136 Posts
This is it, personally I would've said it's not green at all, but it is relatively clean, running at high temperatures, and efficient, using about 70% of the energy content (compared with about 30% for a conventional power plant).

You can bet your bum it's sorted beforehand too, for steel, aluminium etc. before it gets burnt, that stuff would jam it up fast, so recyclable plaggy and stuff will get pulled too. It's all dirverted from landfill, so not at all bad.

Not sure bout compostable waste, the most common would be teabags and grass, anything larger would end up at dump-it sites, where it'll get sent off to make mulch and compost anyway, i reckon.

The most impressive thing for me is the figures it produces, 40GW of electricity a year, 120GW heating a year, 23 miles of central heating lines, serving 3500 homes saving 40 kT of CO2 and at high loads gives the same saving of CO2 per MW as a wind farm, compared with coal/gas fired! All from what people have put in the bin!?!?

And that's the OLD incinerator, the new one's more powerful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts