Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

lincoln cathedral and steep hill

fish eye

the frontage

two towers. who likes the dragon scales?

taken from behind

non fish-eye shot

exact same spot with a fish eye

·
SPAMMED
2,220 Posts
I've visited the cathedral many times. You missed out pics of the best part... the inside! One of the most breathtaking buildings I've ever seen. You can't get the impression of the sheer size of the thing from pictures, the cathedral is massively dominating and can be seen from several miles away, especially as it sits right at the top of a hill.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
Wow they're beautiful!

The top photo is one of the most enduring images from my childhood - coming over Pelham Bridge and seeing that. It really is a sight to behold.

Thanks for posting them...

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inside Lincoln Cathedral's Tower

well this is the cathedral from the front....

but we are going up to the very top of this tower

first up is of course the nave. this space is over 200 feet long, i want to skateboard in it

there's some nice stained glass in here. this one is about joshua.

you walk under the crossing of the central tower to here where the staircase begins. there's 388 steps to the roof in total.

you walk up some and come out on the celestary which looks straight into this rather large window

the first level of the tower houses the clock mechanism. these are the supports for the belfry above

the next level is the belfry. this bell is big tom, the 13th largest in the country. it took 50 men three hours to lift it up here.

lincoln used to have a spire which blew over as it was only lead encased wood. the remains of the spire are still visible though. these are the foundations for it - 800 year old oak

you come out of the steps from one of these and onto the roof

plenty of people use this as a photo opportunity

including one of my friends

the view of the other towers is pretty good if you can get the stone out of the way...

like this. you're high enough up to just make out the curvature of the horizon

29 miles away is the boston stump which you can see on a good day like saturday

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,813 Posts

the next level is the belfry. this bell is big tom, the 13th largest in the country. it took 50 men three hours to lift it up here.

lincoln used to have a spire which blew over as it was only lead encased wood. the remains of the spire are still visible though. these are the foundations for it - 800 year old oak

The scary thing is i've seen interior pics of the Chrysler buildings tower that looked like this.

(OK not exactly like that but it did look like a rusty-dusty attic... 1000ft in the sky)

·
35,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's what it looked like with two spires on the western towers before they took them down and rebuilt the towers shorter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts