SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
34,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i took a nosey around lincoln today, the current construction crane count is six to put it in perspective though *everything* being built just about is apartments for students.
anyway... here's a look at some of the bright and shiny stuff in lincoln lately.

stuff under construction here is more uni accomodation. holmes wharf is on the left, 10 floors plus facade overrun. slender enough to look like a tower, ill get the heights on this and the other stuff next week.

the pavillions is another student block under construction, its 11 floors tall with a facade over run above it.

junxion is a 9 storey squat block, again for students completed last year. it has over 500 rooms and apartments in it!

expressionism is still alive and well at the school of architecture. very getty institute too i think.

im not sure what this building is, but its over the road from the junxion, i know its a uni building though. still, i like those sharp edges.

sadly post modernism is still hanging around like a bad smell in this part of the country. just check out these vile port holes. this is what they stuck over the ruins of the old roman garrison!

this is the tallest modern building in lincoln *still*. shuttleworth house, 50m, a rather boring commie block. the area used to be chav central but the number of students in lincoln has diluted that a bit.

lincoln has plenty of very cool victorian architecture, this little gem tucked away and thankfully listed lies right between st marks shopping centre and the uni on what would otherwise be prime development land.

the victorians did more than just twee buildings though, on the left is the victorian market place and that neo classical one is an old victorian trading hall.

no thread on lincoln would be complete without some ancient history. first up the most famous thing in the city, the cathedral.

the green dragon pub is a great example of tudor architecture. you can see they are about to build something next to it, the frame is about six floors high so far.

st swithins is the tallest medieval church in the city apart from the cathedral.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Tower on St. Swithin's looks Victorian to me.

A bit of googling gives:

Feb. 4, 1888 Tower & spire added to St Swithin's Church by donations
from Mr Alfred SHUTTLEWORTH & Mr N. CLAYTON father Late Mr Joseph
SHUTTLEWORTH father Mr A. SHUTTLEWORTH Mr James FOWLER of Louth (architect)

·
Still Alive
9,874 Posts
Not bad far more going on in Lincoln than in my city(Bristol) nimbys would never allow something the size of that first pic project to get built.Nice city that Lincoln fine cathedral isn't that the cathedral witch had the very tall 3rd tower .

·
Administrator
34,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clarky, actually it had spires on all three towers. two of the spires were taken down 200 years ago, the other collapsed about 1500 years ago.

yes jake, the spire to st swithins was added later. the church tower was the tallest without it too though, the others are very stumpy.

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
I just did a Grantham thread in cityscapes and skylines....you might be interessted gothic

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
The first picture with the skyline make this town very attractive. The quality of life seems very high, I've heard of organic markets and stuff.
Considering, that more and more ppl in Lincoln work in Greater London (4% now and 1% in 1991) I was wondering how long it takes to get to London by train?

·
Banned
269 Posts
A bloody long time, at the moment there is no direct rail link, I dont think.

P.S Lincoln is booming. I used to live in the Junxion, when I studied there last year.

·
Administrator
34,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is no direct link by railway to london, this is because they do not have the rail capacity to run passenger services between grantham and newark through london as coal trains go through lincoln to supply power stations in nottinghamshire. all the surrounding towns of lincolnshire either have a direct link or are getting one. the ecml freight line goes straight through lincoln, the passenger line bypasses - i am not sure of the logic about this. this change meant that in the 80s when the rest of the uk went through a nice boom, lincoln had a recession as all the office occupiers moved.

also lincoln is not booming. everything being built is for the university, do people have any idea how locals feel as there is a chronic housing shortage in lincoln itself. they've built thousands of new homes for students, and 30 for everyone else in the city centre in the past few years. there is a dire housing shortage, and the influx of students have led local rents to quadruple in less than five years. there is no development land for anyone except the university in the city centre, all you have to do is pick up the newspaper and see the letters page, barely a week goes by without someone complaining about the lack of housing for locals. there is little evidence of the university having contributed to the local economy except in temporary jobs like construction or crappy jobs like an increase in sales at macdonalds. it made sense in the late 90s to build it but changes that have occured since show it as a grotesque waste of land that benefits no one except students coming to live in lincoln (who go home in the holidays and rarely stay when they graduate).

if youre a local you have the choice of living in a victorian terrace, or a large house in the suburbs and commute. since 1999, local transport prices have increased five fold too.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Earthquake!!!!!!!

gothicform said:
clarky, actually it had spires on all three towers. two of the spires were taken down 200 years ago, the other collapsed about 1500 years ago.

yes jake, the spire to st swithins was added later. the church tower was the tallest without it too though, the others are very stumpy.

Great Pics!

Lincoln Cathedral Collapsed completely in a major earthquake by British standards, in 1170. Perhaps 6.0ML. The current one was started ( or finished ?) in 1185.

The UK does not get too many major quakes although plenty of tremors as we all know, but enough to cause concern to the UK & European gov. A government sponsored report (Ove Arup UK Seismic risk: HMSO) was produced in 1993.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
The junxion is that the one North Midland Construction did? I think i did a site visit there about years ago on work experience! So its finally done then is it? Looks very nice!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The reclad of Wigford House and conversion to apartments is almost complete and it looks really good. You pass it on the left when you arrive by train.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts