SkyscraperCity banner

541 - 560 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
It would make sense for DePaul to purchase Little Sisters of the Poor and/or the UHaul site. However, the question is; are or will those sites be available in the near future? The Children's Memorial site is available now and with land at a premium in Lincoln Park, this may be the largest parcel to come avaliable in the near future.

Moreover, their master plan has a hotel/dorm/retail complex that is supposed to go on the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield. Why not move that plan to the Children's site? Use the Fullerton site for more cirtical university needs such as residential and classroom space.

Neverthless, you may have some inside info on the UHaul and Little Sisters site. Anything to share/speculate?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It would make sense for DePaul to purchase Little Sisters of the Poor and/or the UHaul site. However, the question is; are or will those sites be available in the near future? The Children's Memorial site is available now and with land at a premium in Lincoln Park, this may be the largest parcel to come avaliable in the near future.

Moreover, their master plan has a hotel/dorm/retail complex that is supposed to go on the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield. Why not move that plan to the Children's site? Use the Fullerton site for more cirtical university needs such as residential and classroom space.

Neverthless, you may have some inside info on the UHaul and Little Sisters site. Anything to share/speculate?
I don't have any specific insider info or anything, but it seems to me that they are using thier money now not to purchase new land but to build on land that is underutilized that they already have. The Children's memorial spot would be expensive to buy and convert into classroom space. If they wait for the U-Haul or little sister's to move (decently likely, given the areas growwth and delapidated nature of both properties) They can buy the same amount of land closer to the main areas of campus for far less money.

I think the administation sees that buying the Children's hospital site would be expensive and a bad move overall for the university.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
^ Spyguy, is this new construction from scratch or is Trader Joe's occupying an existing building? What is currently on the Trader Joe's site?
That trader joes used to be a barnes and nobles
its an existing building as far as i know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That trader joes used to be a barnes and nobles
its an existing building as far as i know.
No, I believe the red building in the render is the old Barnes and Noble. West of the old B&N was a small greystone and a parking lot. They tore down the greystone and the lot and I believe those lots will be where the new store is...

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, I believe the red building in the render is the old Barnes and Noble. West of the old B&N was a small greystone and a parking lot. They tore down the greystone and the lot and I believe those lots will be where the new store is...

Yep. Just walked by there last week. There was a large (awful!) surface lot just east of the BN/Pier One buildings. There's now a concrete grocery store/parking garage structure on the lot that fits right in with this image.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Here was the site before Trader Joe's started construction.

The loss of the old building is more than made up for by the elimination of a fugly parking lot, which ultimately removes the only "hole" in an otherwise complete streetscape.

Definitely an improvement

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ok i see.
Losing that brick 3 flat does suck.
But yeah losing the lot is nice.

I tell you guys what though,
Too many parking lots on diversy,:bash::bash:
You have the KFC/walgreens lot at halsted and diversy,
You also have the superugly mall kitty corner to that,
with a kagillion ugly/boring businesses.
And you have the now potbelly etc lots,
which i remember long ago was a peaches tapes and music.

3 ugly ass parking lots in Lincoln Park
right by the Diversy El and the Lakefront.
That is just a total waste of space.
I almost never frequent businesses with parking lots
in the city, ESPecially if they are the minimall type.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great building, even if it is a simple square block. Also great outdoor space and more transit oriented than most new developments. I am a fan of this development. More of this is needed.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.c...-to-revive-stalled-lincoln-park-hotel-project

Venture to revive stalled Lincoln Park hotel project
By: Alby Gallun November 03, 2010

A local hotel investment firm has teamed up with developer Centrum Properties to acquire a Lincoln Park hotel redevelopment that stalled two years ago amid Ponzi-scheme charges against its former owner, Wextrust Capital LLC.

A joint venture of AJ Capital, Chicago-based Centrum and New York-based Angelo Gordon & Co. took control of the former Days Inn at 1816 N. Clark St. by buying a defaulted loan on the 195-room hotel, says AJ Capital CEO Ben Weprin.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Lincoln Park Hospital = Webster Square

• The height of the main hospital will remain the same and the number of proposed units has dropped to 120 condos
  • The midrise building (left) and part of the condo tower will have ~95k sf of medical office space
  • 5 story midrise on Grant with 40 units
  • 210 underground parking spaces in the residential portion, 250 spaces in the existing garage
  • The existing garage will have an upscale market (The Fresh Market) and a green roof

Main hospital all dolled up
150'/ 12 floors

Residential midrise on Grant

Garage and Fresh Market

·
Pragmatist
433 Posts
The existing garage will have an upscale market (The Fresh Market) and a green roof
All this time, and I had no idea that The Fresh Market had six stores in Illinois. They were always a Southern regional chain in my mind -- but I guess that last week's IPO probably has them gearing up for expansion. WFM could really use the competition in Lincoln Park.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
A good start, but it doesn't go far enough. There ought to be another stop light somewhere between Fullerton and Wrightwood. It's really difficult to cross that section of Clark without going out into the street and forcing someone to stop and let you cross.

541 - 560 of 628 Posts