SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 663 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that was there when they were removing sludge or something from the marina! lol.

The newer marina projects listed above are starting in construction shortly I think, they've been approved. I seem to recall seeing hoarding up now. An office block and another two restaurants have also been approved recently too for the south side of the marina where the university is opposite the odeon, restaurants and bars on the other side.
The Performing Arts Centre has just been completed too on the south side.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Also about a few months ago there looked to be more Lincoln Uni buildings going up next to the railway line to the west of the student village.

Most Lincoln developments are really nice except the student flats on the south side of the railway line. In parts they're just bare grey breeze blocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, the pavillions are poorly designed for sure... with the large amount of grey concrete on part

and theres loads of the blocks of them now but aren't really visible from most areas unless of course passing on the train line or going across brayford way in the car.

But yes apart from that, most developments in Lincoln are alright.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Thanks Teal for the piccies and info i would say Lincoln is about a quarter the size of Leicester and is a genuine historical city. But despite this has a healthy attitude to modern and relatively tall buildings.

I believe from memory that Lincoln has a few 60's tower blocks. If so do you know how many and how many storeys they are ?

NB Worcester is a similar sized city with similar historical credentials and also has some 60's Tower blocks.

In my opinion even in historical cities there is a place for tall blocky buildings.

I think Leicester people are High-rise phobic in general and also crave to be a historical city (ie promote city through historic buildings) when in reality we are not. Although of course we do have some historical buildings, but they are not of the quality or importance to dominate the citys identity.

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
lincoln has three... the tallest is shuttleworth house at 50m. it looks like this -

also lincoln is actually about 45% of the size of leicester in terms of population however it has *very* tight boundaries. more people live in the conurbation outside the city than in it so the population is spread over three district councils. after nottingham, leciester, northampton and derby its the largest conurbation in the region.

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
*grins*.... and here's the growth figures for you -

amount of housing to be built -
city of lincoln - 13,100
north kesteven (ONS lincoln urban area) - 11,000
west lindsey (ONS lincoln urban area) - 4,250
rest of central lincolnshire (greater lincoln catchment area excluding above) - 17,400
total - 45,750

lincoln urban area population 2001 - 120,000
lincoln urban area population 2021 - 194,500

lincoln conurbation population 2001 - 148,689

greater lincoln catchment area 2001 - 259,134
greater lincoln catchment area 2006 - 277,300
greater lincoln catchment area 2021 - 397,622

i might add that the lincoln urban area population does not take into account that the houses built will fill in the gaps with places currently outside the conurbation so grwoth for it is less than it will really be and that the current figures of 120,000 by the govt manage to list places in the conurbation which apparently arent part of the urban area. not sure how that works anyone want to explain how you can be part of a conurbation physically and not part of the urban area! i cant list the growth for the conurbation as i dont know the precise amount of houses due to be built in places like bracebridge heath. anyone also want to explain why the leicester urban area includes places not physically attached to it whilst the lincoln one excludes places that area and doesnt count anywhere that isnt physically attached to it (something that forced the council to create that catchment thing so they could lobby for money on the same terms as other places)

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Thanks Gothicform for the picture and info on Lincoln high-rises. Shuttleworth house is a classic 60's tower block the sort typified in Birmingham !

I hope they are not too unpopular must afford some great views of Lincolnshire up in one of those.

I wonder what the councils policy is on these blocks when they need large scale repairs will they refurbish them or knock them down ?

Very surprised at how big a city Lincoln actually is around 120,000 (learn something new everyday)

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
shuttleworth house has been done up actually. not sure about the views of lincoln, that picture of it is taken from lincoln cathedral looking DOWN on it. heh.

lincoln is actually bigger though, for example lincoln is physically connected in every way to north hykeham which is the largest town in north kesteven and the fastest growing place in the country. the conurbation figure for 2001 is the correct figure, we took every part of lincoln attached to it then and added the population figures together. the govt said 120,000 listed parts of lincoln and yet even the parts they listed added up to more than 120,000 at 148,689. you should take the 148,000 figure as the gospel population for the conurbation in 2001.

giving you an example of how this is working north kesteven which is immediately to the south of lincoln had a population of 96852 in 2001. in 2006 it was 103,200 with most of this population growth in the area that's physically connected to lincoln, but not part of it that the council calls "the lincoln fringe" so population figures are immediately out of date. the 2006 figures have actually already passed the govts 2011 predictions for lincoln, north kesteven and west lindsey.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Lincoln does have 3 tower blocks but only that one, Shuttleworth House is visible on the skyline. The other two are really tucked away on an estate in the north and the other ones in the south west. Infact you'd need a pretty tall building to be built to detract from the cathedral. It really does dominate the city.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Lincoln does have 3 tower blocks but only that one, Shuttleworth House is visible on the skyline. The other two are really tucked away on an estate in the north and the other ones in the south west. Infact you'd need a pretty tall building to be built to detract from the cathedral. It really does dominate the city.
The fact that Lincoln has any buildings over ten storeys tall is a miracle. Well done Lincoln City Council, in seeing that the cathederal should not totally dictate planning policy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used to live in Lincoln too since I went to university there. Since graduated this year. Whilst being a student I was also a Special and let me say that the tower blocks, especially Shuttleworth House but also the others up North are what I would call "crime" spots and having been inside the building, not exactly my cup of tea. The buildings themselves I don't particularly like, a throwback to the 60's and 70's tower blocks. It's nice to have high-rises but they aren't the best of examples!

When I started University I saw Witham Wharf prior to the new additional construction work and it looked awful. Now, it looks fantastic, a great addition to the Lincoln skyline and the Marina. The other developments in the pipeline also look fantastic. I did read in the Lincolnshire Echo or the Lincoln Chronicle of a 15 year old boy who was against all the high rise developments and the paper made a big deal about it and I could not, for the life of me, figure out what all the big deal was about. Progress and growth is important to the local economy if not more so than just the view. I can just imagine them saying "Oh, we may be poor, jobless and hungry, but don't worry about that, we've got our view of the Cathedral to keep us happy!" :lol:

The Lindongate proposal was still just a proposal up until the time I left and I never really saw the sketches that are up here now but may I say it will look a lot better than what is there at the moment! Place is ripe for redevelopment. That bus station is an awful layout, the Co-Op shop is hideous and ought to be replaced with something a little better laid out too.

Something that Lincoln desperately needs is a huge multi-storey car park, underground and above ground, simply because there just is not enough spaces to go around at the moment! It needs to be affordable too.

I must also agree that the new Pavilions Student housing blocks are hideous. They are architectural monstrosities that could have been so much better than they actually are, but c'est la vie.

But above all that, the thing I would want to wish for Lincoln is for the railways to be sorted. I mean the length of time I have spent stuck behind the level crossings on the High Street, unbelievably obscene length. The traffic as a result, in the city centre was truly horrendous at times.

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
noticed just how stupid the level crossing thing is getting in lincoln, it was down yesterday for 17 minutes constantly as two passenger trains and three goods trains went past in quick succession. this happened about 6pm! talk about insane traffic problems, everything was all backed up and gridlocked as usual by the result. it costs the economy 44p per minute for every car passenger whos time is wasted sitting in a jam so 1000 people x 17 minutes = £7480. multiply that by 365 and you get £2,735,000 which is pretty shocking and thats a year and just one period of an hour!

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
noticed just how stupid the level crossing thing is getting in lincoln, it was down yesterday for 17 minutes constantly as two passenger trains and three goods trains went past in quick succession. this happened about 6pm! talk about insane traffic problems, everything was all backed up and gridlocked as usual by the result. it costs the economy 44p per minute for every car passenger whos time is wasted sitting in a jam so 1000 people x 17 minutes = £7480. multiply that by 365 and you get £2,735,000 which is pretty shocking and thats a year and just one period of an hour!
It's an historical shame is that ! I see Lincoln Central has been modernised platforms renumbered, signalling to be updated. And the prospect of direct trains to London.

Would it be feasable to tunnel under the railway and get rid of the level crossing ?

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
yeah. it would however have been much more sensible to build the station where st marks is and st marks where the station is. they wont do a thing though, cost too much money.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
yeah. it would however have been much more sensible to build the station where st marks is and st marks where the station is. they wont do a thing though, cost too much money.
Am i right in thinking St Marks has now closed ? I remember it being a small station on the Nottingham , Newarke service i think. and was it a terminous ?

From memory it was a quiet station away from the town centre and obviously ddidn't clash with the road traffic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah St Marks Station is now Lakeland and Argos! And other buildings have been built in a similar style around it making a shopping area which also has Debenhams, Costa and the like.
St Marks is very close to Lincoln central!

But yes those railway crossings are a proper nuisance!

·
Administrator
34,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
yeah st marks was that. they closed it and built new shops outside of the core retail area of lincoln (nice planning there). would have been smarter for the shops to go in the core.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've noticed that as well. The main shopping ares is to the north of the station plus when you go over the railway crossing you get the feeling that you are out of the city centre. Then you see a big Debenhams and JJB on your right. Maybe there wasnt the big units available in the city centre, I bet that was it because from memory Lincoln doesnt have that many large shop units fit for department stores.

21 - 40 of 663 Posts