SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 663 Posts

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Usual short sighted sell the railway land off to make a quick book. Mind you cities exist in the today, long term planning is a bit of a luxury. Although it would seem that the road traffic situation will pretty soon force the Lincoln council to have to do something.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
A Lincoln thread! I was thinking of biting the bullet and starting one, being a Lincolnian myself!

The level crossing amuses everyone who I know who have been to Lincoln in the past - is there anywhere else that has the same problem?

There are some decent develops for a City of it's size - I quite like this one on the North side of the Brayford - I don't think it's been posted - it's a hotel, With a first in Lincoln - a glass elavator!

Has anyone got any more renders of the Broadgate development. That's the first time I'd seen it. I think they're getting rid of the pub on the corner - it's a shame, as this was just one long line of terrace housing - the pub was really the last remnant of this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone got some information on that new Holiday Inn hotel not far from the university? Im not sure if thats the correct name, but im talking about the hotel being constructed just off the roundabout.

·
Administrator
34,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
yes. i really should take some photos of the finished buildings!

i found this one from 2004 yesterday of holmes wharf under construction

and one of witham wharf under construction from the castle -

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes the carpark has been recladded.

I'm currently staying in Hayes Wharf which is the top of the two pictures in gothics picture post above. It was finished in 05 though.

They are meant to be starting two more on the other side of the marina...

That one included.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
hey gothic and everyone else from lincoln. just moved here to study at the uni. Any developments that need updating, let me know because i'd like to have a wonder round with the camera to get to know the place. :)

·
Administrator
34,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
marina development is approved. currently the site is clear and there are a few boards around it advertising it. marketing of the scheme has not yet begun though and given how badly witham wharf has sold (grossly overpriced, who would pay as much as you pay in canary wharf?) i think we might be waiting a while. i will take a pic of the site on monday if i have time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone got some information on that new Holiday Inn hotel not far from the university? Im not sure if thats the correct name, but im talking about the hotel being constructed just off the roundabout.

Yeah it's a Holiday Inn Express, I've seen some pictures somewhere on the net of what it will look like but can't find them now.
I can see it from my kitchen window being built.

·
Administrator
34,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
yes. its 9 floors tall.

I'm currently staying in Hayes Wharf which is the top of the two pictures in gothics picture post above. It was finished in 05 though.
i was chatting to the architect of holmes wharf last week by the way. he said he was quite pleased with how it turned out given what it is, and felt quite sad when standing on the top of it as it topped out that it would be student flats as the view was so good!

teal. i always thought hayes wharf was called holmes wharf. so does the architect. they still have it called their on their website, wonder why the name changed although i have just renamed it on SSN.

i think i have the contact details for the architect who did the marina. i'll see if i can get in touch on tuesday.

hey gothic and everyone else from lincoln. just moved here to study at the uni. Any developments that need updating, let me know because i'd like to have a wonder round with the camera to get to know the place.
skyscrapercity has always worked on the basis though that if you like something, take a pic of it and post it on the forum. we're all interested in that and photography too. i should really do it too but ive always assumed there's no one on this forum from here! what i have done is stuck the main thread to the top of the page. i think we should all post here and keep it alive... we even have a u/c 9 storey hotel we can post pics of!

anyway i am going to stick this thread i think.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the updates and flying the flag for Lincoln.

Do you think that Marina development will stilll go ahead weren't they in a legal tussle for related tower block opposite?

Yes we've got a few curious hotels going up not least the one on Tritton Road - I think it's probably a little 'identikit' but I'd love to see some shots!

Also any movement on either the extension of the existing hotel on the Brayford or perhaps they've even started the new one next to it.

Also the flats on Broadgate - have they started?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Lincoln really did surprise me when I went (I was considering Uni there) its a small city but has the feeling of somewhere much bigger, probably as its out there on its own - in Derby there's something of a leeching effect from all the nearby big cities.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It must only have a population of 85000, around the same as nearby Scunthorpe and Grimsby really, but it has much more of a city feel about it (even excluding the cathedral). I dont live in lincoln myself but i go there somethimes, i'm off on Monday actually. I've also got a mate who goes to the uni and he loves it.

·
Administrator
34,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
once again the population stats -

lincoln urban area population 2001 - 120,000
lincoln urban area population 2021 - 194,500

lincoln conurbation population 2001 - 148,689

greater lincoln catchment area 2001 - 259,134
greater lincoln catchment area 2006 - 277,300
greater lincoln catchment area 2021 - 397,622
urban area for some reason excludes chunks of the conurbation... don't ask me why. its a government figure. catchment area is the metro area so to speak. city of lincoln isn't growing by much but the areas immediately outside the boundary it is physically attached to are the fastest growing places in the country.

the huge catchment area population is because as thomski mentions its pretty much on its own and this is what is/should be judged when looking at actual goods and services, things like jobs or retail. in terms of catchment area it rivals places like hull and punches massively above its weight!

what's interesting is that the growth is such the gaps between what are currently independent villages and the conurbation are being filled in so the conurbation increases in spurts but unlike places such as milton keynes this is not being centrally planned by government - it's entirely organic growth. for example, 2007 saw waddington become physically connected to lincoln. it's bigger than it is, the question is... how big? you can see too that washingborough and heighington have merged into one and have a combined population now equivalent to a small town according to govt definitions, you can see ive marked the single field separating it from lincoln. bracebridge heath is also booming, in 2000 it had 1,500 people living there, now the figure is 4,000. planned development will see it physically connect with lincoln by 2021. north hykeham is supposedly a town of its own but you can see its part of the sprawl of lincoln.

blue was built in 2006 and red in 2007.

41 - 60 of 663 Posts