SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
34,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lincoln could apply to become a World Heritage Site as part of a long-term vision for the county.

The Lincolnshire Assembly is compiling a document called Vision 2030 and wants the public to suggest goals which the area can aim to achieve by that date.

On top of universal themes like education and health, the assembly wants ideas specific to Lincolnshire.

It believes the city already "has a good start" on moves to secure global recognition for its history.

County council assistant chief executive Marcus Coleman, who is also an assembly member, said: "We have some great assets here, like the castle and cathedral, and it would just need a bit more work to really give us a chance.

"We know that this is a real gem but the rest of the world does not. With a little more investment and promotion we could have one of the top six weekend destinations in Britain."

Mr Coleman also said there was potential, through the university, for the county to become a centre for renewable energy.

Cultural importance

He added: "This is about the people of Lincolnshire taking charge of their future."

The assembly, a body made up of councillors, businessmen and community stakeholders, will discuss the document over the summer before asking for public suggestions in the autumn.

A World Heritage Site is a location recognised by the United Nations for its outstanding cultural or natural importance to the common heritage of mankind.

There are more than 850 sites, which have access to additional funding and resources.

·
Robin Hood
5,168 Posts
Im gonna take a trip to Lincoln I havent been...

That cathredrals amazzzzingggggg. That must be amonst the best in the UK.

What are the bars like in Lincoln?

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Not bad but not cracking. Main night club is pretty poor although down by the Wharf is a good night out. There are a few hidden jems.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Yes the cathedral is amazing. The area is so nice around christmas time when the fair is on. It was used in the Da Vinci Code.

·
Administrator
34,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my attitude has always been, if york and durham have it why not lincoln? well we have the problem of not being on the ECML so its hard for tourists to get here but in terms of actual architecture and history lincoln does rival durham and york, the problem is rather bad management and when there have been major archaeological breakthroughs such as the legionary headquarters they dug up they have not been properly exploited. they actually built st marks centre over the headquarters rather than develop it in the same way that york did with jorvik. many of the roman artifacts were actually shipped to the british musuem as there was nowhere in lincoln to put them so the intact mosiacs they found and a roman graveyard full of gravestones arent here.
it was ruskin who wrote that lincoln was the greatest cathedral in the country and obviously this is a major asset but lincoln has many many things. we have for example one of the greatest libraries in the entire country, there's original handwritten manuscripts of the canterbury tales and an original copy of the magna carta, the thornton romances which is the basis for the arthurian legends, the first poems about robin hood, and the text of the venerable bede, and these should be on display big time, you could build a major museum around the cathedral library but again no such thing. instead they are all locked away in the cathedral library which is ranked number 5 in the collection of antique books in the entire country and only open five months a year.
it seems to me we really dont have the necessary facitilies to be a world heritage site even if we do have the actual history.

a night out in lincoln though is a bit... well... crap. lol. if you can book a tour to the top of the tower of the cathedral which is open to the public in summer months (why not all year round?) i've done a thread on it here -
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=505428

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
The problem with Lincoln though is its running out of space to develop. They built all that shit around the road network on the edge of town that just didnt need to go there. The University is taking up the mian space and I cant think of anywhere in town where there's a development oppurtunity to build new and better facilties. The town is'nt layed out easy enough, they would have to locate potential attractions really, really carefully.

·
Administrator
34,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah. they should have built the university out on some of the brownfield land towards north hykeham. instead they stuck it where they have and now have a MAJOR problem. dinp and me have talked about this at length and both shaken our heads at the moronic planning decisions taken in the 80s and 90s.
as far as the cathedral books go though, the cathedral owns most of the houses around it. they could easily take one of these larger ones and turn it into a musuem.

if you PM me your email address and resolution dan, ill make one for you.

·
Administrator
34,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they not only own the houses but own a property company and lease them out. naturally they are very expensive. the cathedral isnt short of money, i think they posted an operating profit of almost half a million back in 2003 which is the last year i saw figures for though the profit then tends to get sucked up by the constant building work. they also have a conference centre next to the cathedral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts