SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Think I actually agree. It is much better in almost every way to what I was expecting and to what others have offered. The 3 white towers are exactly what is needed for the area and would be the major boost for the area.
The student tower is a mini Altus and nothing like White Rose View or a fridge IMO.
I think I'm swaying towards this as well. The aerial view renders are really poor quality and don't do the towers any favours, whereas all three look fantastic on the below render:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Well, the Pre-app meeting was interesting, DLA and a representative of the developer was in attendance to address the presentation. To be fair, the panel raised some reasonable points and seemed fairly balanced overall (with one or two exceptions), I think they are learning and evolving, perhaps listening to external commentators :)

The main points:

• The panel was generally in favour of the scheme, and in acceptance of the mix of uses and the general massing of the scheme
  • They had issues with the layout of the public outdoor space (which makes up 55% of the overall area), in particular the access through the site to link with the footbridge, and the pathway that runs alongside the A58M
  • The architect stated they are working up the documents for a full planning application to be lodged in the next few weeks, with the aim to gain full approval by late summer, in order to start phase 1 this autumn, although they did state this was perhaps an optimistic outlook, but are wanting to start as soon as they can
  • Phase 1 would include everything apart from the office building (the office plot would constitute the site compound area during the phase 1 build period)
  • In addition, the developer stated they had operators lined up for the BTR, the Aparthotel and the Student accommodation (everything but the office)

Amazing news!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm not sure.

Although I'm all for less monotony, this looks a bit like a smaller building plonked on top of a larger one.

I need to see it from more angles.
I know what you mean but it'll only look like that from the angle in the render above. I think I'm a fan of the slightly different tones.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Very positive result, but don’t the plans panel members go on and on about the same things!! Once one of them pipes up, particularly about the screen to between the path and the ring road, they all have to jump in with the same comments. It’s no wonder they were running massively late.

Let’s hope come April we have another major scheme starting although that seems a very ambitious time scale to mechanically design, source and procure everything across all the 4 buildings.
The same developers were very quick getting started on Central Square from what I remember so hopefully more of the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts